Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   What Countries have you visited more than once, or what I really mean is what countries are you addicted to? (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/what-countries-have-you-visited-more-than-once-or-what-i-really-mean-is-what-countries-are-you-addicted-to-245781/)

Denise Aug 4th, 2002 03:41 AM

What Countries have you visited more than once, or what I really mean is what countries are you addicted to?

Having been to Italy 3 times now, I have to come clean. I am addicted to Italy. We have been to Vienna, Munich, Prague, yet I still would love to visit the CT, more of Tuscany, Amalfi coast etc. However, we don't get to travel as often as many of you do (maybe once every 2 years till kids out of college). I don't want to get "stuck" on one country because I am sure we are missing out on so many other beautiful places. So I ask, what countries have you visited more than once, or would love to?<BR><BR>Denise<BR><BR><BR>Denise

John B. Aug 4th, 2002 03:52 AM

France, more particularly Provence. For each of the past seven years we have managed to spend two weeks there. I can't begin to set out all the reasons but to me the place has a spiritual magic unrelated to religion. For this this reason I have started a Provence fan club if you will. It has photos, links to things Provencal, diaries and a growing number of members. The site can be found at:<BR>http://groups.yahoo.com/group/provence<BR>I have been to Italy as well and I imagine something similar applies there as well. I guess I just got "stuck" in Provence!

Denise Aug 4th, 2002 05:21 AM

Dear John,<BR><BR>As you can guess, I am trying to plan where I would like us to go next. We did't start going to Europe until I was 38 (now 46) and my husband will turn 50 in 2 weeks. I guess we got a late start. <BR>I really was thinking of France this year for our 25th, but got "stuck" in Italy (no regrets). I think it's about time to explore other places. I know France has been recommended highly.<BR><BR>Thanks for the web site.<BR>Denise

jw Aug 4th, 2002 05:34 AM

Hi you two. Now you know I can't resist this headline. All you have to do is skim either of the SGFTWLS threads to realize that addiction is just about the only word to describe my infatuation with Switzerland. (and no, I'm not a hiker or climber.) I won't even try to woo you two away from your beloved places. I'm just here to say I understand exactly how you feel.<BR><BR>If you'll pardon me, John, let me say to Denise: Doesn't it make you sick that John can return to Provence every (EVERY) single year for two (TWO) weeks? Only in my dreams. But we'll forgive you, John, for rubbing salt in our wounds because you have melted our hearts with your line about the "spiritual magic". Affectionately, J.

BTilke Aug 4th, 2002 05:38 AM

We're addicted to Paris and the Austrian countryside. We go to Paris as often as possible and we leave on Saturday for 10 days in the Steiermark...although we are very fond of the Ticino, it hasn't yet reached the addiction stage...maybe soon!<BR>BTilke (Brussels)

Amy Aug 4th, 2002 05:58 AM

I've been to Ireland 11 times. Mainly though due to having met some wonderful friends there who I keep revisiting. France 3 times, always to Paris and surrounds. I am planning a return to Italy, but not because I'm addicted, but because I haven't seen all I want to there yet. But definitely I am addicted to Ireland and Paris.

Maira Aug 4th, 2002 06:01 AM

I have been to most countries in Europe as my goal in travel is to explore new cultures and places. That said, Spain always comes to mind when planning the next European trip. I managed to go back to Spain (4 times) and Paris (4 times), and plan on going some more! Italy is next Oct; can't wait to see Rome again!!

sue d. Aug 4th, 2002 06:03 AM

I have been to every country in Europe EXCEPT Italy. So far, the Jungfrau region of Switzerland is my absolute favorite. We just returned from Lauterbrunnen, Zurich, Luzern... the Swiss rail allowed us the opportunity to visit so many unique places. Switzerland is hyper-clean, offers experiences in German/Italian/French cultures and languages, punctual, safe, and the people are wonderfully appreciative of visitors. In Zurich, there is an urban nightlife to enjoy, and in Murren, for example, you can hike in the highest snow-capped peaks and cool summer weather. My number 2 choice is Spain, but the last time I went, was as a young backpacker in 1992.

jw Aug 4th, 2002 06:22 AM

BTilke, Can you tell us about the Steiermark? Thanks, J.

John B. Aug 4th, 2002 06:52 AM

JW.<BR><BR>The "trick" to being able to go to Provence frequently is to do it carefully especially since we live near Toronto and have a long way to go.<BR> <BR>We use one credit card to accumulate points; we go off-season usually Sept.; we stay away from Paris; we (I) shop around for discount flights amd car rentals (always a diesel); we stay at B&B's which are great value and you get to meet the locals; we eat out once a day since breakfast is covered and we make do with a picnic lunch; since I'm retired I have lots of time to plan; and oh yes we don't have cleaning help around the house. Because I vacuum and help around the house I see it as offsetting part of the cost!!<BR>The gifts we bring back for our children and ourselves take us partly through the next cycle of birthdays and Xmas. <BR>Notwithstanding all of the above the dog goes to the "spa" while we are away.

EP Aug 4th, 2002 07:07 AM

I don´t think I am addicted to any country, and I have throughly enjoyed every place I have visited. But there are some countries I have visited more often than others.<BR><BR>I have been 5 to 10 times in Portugal, Greece, Turkey, Germany, and Estonia.<BR><BR>And 2 to 4 times in Thailand, Tunisia, Russia, Sweden, Spain, and Switzerland.<BR><BR>I have also lived 1-3 years in France and USA. I don´t know if there is something wrong with me, but I would be perfectly happy to travel again also to all those countries where I have visited only once.

Denise Aug 4th, 2002 07:11 AM

The places you all mention are on my wish list (Switzerland, France, Spain). Rather curious about Portugal also. <BR>To those Spain lovers-What is with that warning post about Spain? I didn't read it because I have seen it in the past few years and just figure it is a spam. Is their any danger in Spain, or just the usual precautions you always take when traveling?<BR>I am keeping all your posts and going to find some way of going away again next year. No cleaning lady but me, but I will find a way. I am truely hoping that I get some kind of compensation from the airlines for losing my lugage. Wouldn't that be nice!<BR>I often wonder why I don't feel this way about seeing parts of the US. I know there are beautiful states to visit, yet there's not that same draw or "spiritual magic" as John said. I would imagine it's being amoung other cultures that entices me.<BR><BR>Denise

BOB THE NAVIGATOR Aug 4th, 2002 07:21 AM

No question---bella Italia !<BR>However, of our 21 trips to Europe, 19 have been either in the Alps or on the Med.--I guess we are addicted to a region called southern Europe.

BTilke Aug 4th, 2002 12:21 PM

JW, we'll post a full trip report when we get back on the 21st. We plan to do more sightseeing and hiking this year, in addition to the classes we're taking. But we're staying in our favorite village, Seckau. Check out www.seckau.at No huge tourist attractions, although the monastery is quite interesting; just a beautiful little town with a few charming cafes and restaurants, farm country all around, great hiking among the wildflowers and waterfalls in the alpine foothills, a lake with sandy beaches for swimming, and a small, but award winning brewery hidden in the hills on the village outskirts. What more could we ask for?

lbb Aug 4th, 2002 12:51 PM

I am totally addicted to Europe in general. I would love to return to every country that I have visited but there is so much still to see. I have done Italy twice, Germany twice if you count a short trip to Trier from Luxembourge for the second trip, and England twice. All in all I have hit 12 countries and would like to have the experience of seeing them all and then returning again! I just hope political conditions allow me to. T

janis Aug 4th, 2002 02:08 PM

In the last 12 years I have been to Scotland about every 18 months and would return even more often if I didn't also want to see other parts of Europe and the US. I also go to London and somewhere else in England a minimun of once a year.<BR><BR>The 12 years cut off was when I (finally!) started making enough money to go pretty much whenever I want. I now average 4 to 6 weeks a year in the UK and 1 to 3 weeks in other places.

Melissa Aug 4th, 2002 03:33 PM

I'm addicted to Europe in general and France in particular. I love Paris, but am also content with anywhere else in France!

Cindy Aug 5th, 2002 04:54 AM

While I love to travel in general, and am very happy travelling in Europe, the place I am addicted to (and some say obsessed with) is Southern Africa.

elvira Aug 5th, 2002 05:05 AM

France, Paris in particular. It's an expensive habit, but all the cool kids do it.<BR><BR>It would be soooo much better if I could get hooked on Ajo.

jw Aug 5th, 2002 05:15 AM

Hi, Denise, thanks for this thread. John B and BTilke, very interesting replies. I'll check out the seckau.at site immediately; but tell me, please, what's this about taking a class? I've been wondering how I could combine travel with earning professional development credits. J.