Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   What Converter Needed for London and Paris? (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/what-converter-needed-for-london-and-paris-738653/)

enlehman76 Sep 24th, 2007 03:12 PM

What Converter Needed for London and Paris?

I am going to be traveling to London and Paris this week. I am looking to plug-in my hairdryer, digital camera battery charger, and a portable DVD player. Do I need two different converters for these items--one low and one high? Do I need a surge protector on any of them? Thanks!

enlehman76 Sep 24th, 2007 03:19 PM

My battery charger says 110-240V and 50/60Hz.

My portable DVD player says 100-120V-27W-50/60Hz.

My blowdryer says 125V AC 60Hz-1900 watts.

Robespierre Sep 24th, 2007 03:45 PM

Here's an article on that: fodors.com/forums/threadselect.jsp?tid=35003244

hopscotch Sep 24th, 2007 04:13 PM

For the battery charger all you need is a plug adapter. You need one adapter for London and a different plug adapter for Paris.

Leave the DVD player home unless you want to watch DVDs that you bring with you. DVDs you purchase in London have a slim chance of working in your American region machine. Yours would need a 50 watt transformer anyway to bring the London and Paris voltage down to 120.

Leave the Tim Allen over-powered hairblower home. 1900 watts!!! You have to be kidding. No wonder the Arctic ice shelf is melting. Call your hotel and ask if they have a hairblower in the room. Most hotels have them nowadays.

ParisAmsterdam Sep 24th, 2007 05:40 PM

I bought some adapters in Canada to use in Paris and Amsterdam this summer. But the wall plugs themselves were recessed and I had to end up using 2 adapters on each plug. They're cheap enough so take a few.

Needless to say, you'll need different plugs for the UK and France.

Hope this helps,

Rob

enlehman76 Sep 24th, 2007 06:26 PM

Thanks for the responses. I figured out the battery charger and dvd player. I bring the DVD player to watch movies on the plane as well as do work out dvd's in the room. I just need to plug the battery in to charge it. As far as the blowdryer goes---1900 watts is pretty standard---I found an 1875watt dryer at a store here that has a 110 to 220 volt converter built into it. I would not need a converter than right?

kodi Sep 24th, 2007 06:29 PM

Right! YOu would only need the plug adapter.

Have fun.

janisj Sep 24th, 2007 06:33 PM

The vast majority of hotels will have hairdryers. And they will work much better since they are made for European use. I would <b>NEVER</b> take a single voltage hair dryer, and a dual voltage one will only work at the lowest settings.

So my advice is to either use a hairdryer provided by the hotel -- or -- buy an inexpensive one in Europe. You will need an adaptor plug from French to UK plugs.

ira Sep 25th, 2007 07:00 AM

Hi E,

You will need a UK plug adapter and a Continental plug adapter.

Your 1875W hairdryer is likely to trip the circuit breakers in older buildings.

Time to get a new DVD player that works on 110-220V :)

((I))