Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   What clothes best for Ireland trip? (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/what-clothes-best-for-ireland-trip-536441/)

jwj Jun 13th, 2005 02:19 PM

What clothes best for Ireland trip?

We will be in Southwest Ireland in August. Men playing lots of golf and women not golfing. What type of outerwear is needed? If not golfing, are waterproof shoes, pants, jackets, socks, etc. needed for women? What raingear is best? Just trying not to take unnecessary clothes although that's mighty hard for the women. A miracle, in fact!

nytraveler Jun 13th, 2005 02:31 PM

The rain gear you need is a folding umbrella and sturdy waterproof shoes.

Unlike the US in the summer - where torrential downpours/thunderstorms are common, rain in Ireland is usually light or a drizzle or even just a sort of mist. I have been there several times and have never seen any hard rain - not that it never happens - but it seems very rare.

I think a lot of "rain gear" would be completely superfluous.

Wayne Jun 13th, 2005 02:43 PM

I'd add a light weatherproof jacket and some light sweaters to layer depending on the weather each day.

jwj Jun 13th, 2005 02:56 PM

nytraveler: glad to hear the rain's not like at home. We live in Louisiana and it's monsoon season down here and that's the kind of rain I was thinking of.

jwj Jun 13th, 2005 02:58 PM

wayne: Is a sweater a "jumper"? I've had someone tell me to take a "jumper" also. Just checking.

starrsville Jun 13th, 2005 03:39 PM

Yes, a jumper is a sweater.
And trainers are tennis shoes.

We took regular clothes and a small Totes umbrella and light rain jacket.

And, it rained only two days in two weeks - and that was just a misting.

cambe Jun 14th, 2005 01:58 PM

Be prepared, you could get all four seasons in one day.
Make sure you have a waterproof jacket (with hood), a good sensible pair of walking shoes and a sweater for the evenings.

Enjoy your trip

joanc Jun 14th, 2005 05:06 PM

Lots of Layers! You will experience all 4 seasons in one day there.

NEDSIRELAND Jun 15th, 2005 01:18 AM

I played Carne Golf Links (Belmullet, Co. Mayo) mid-September and I wished I had brought a pair of walking shorts. It topped off around 72 degrees (22 C) that day; that was in the West near Blacksod Point.

Don't get carried away and bring lots of fall clothes. August is Summer: you might see some brief rain showers - no heavy rains; although once, in May, (2000?) there were thunderstorms with hail in Co. Cork. In the southwest (Mount Juliet, Old Head, Ballybunion) expect daily high temperatures around 70 (21 C).

I take an Eddie Bauer hooded nylon rain jacket and a nylon Poncho (in a pouch, for emergencies). Shoes: it depends on where you plan to walk. I usually take a pair of Nike 'hikers' although they're not necessary in the cities.
BTW
I highly recommend Carne Golf Links if it's not too far out of the way for your golfer husbands.

irisheyes58 Jun 16th, 2005 04:32 PM

I was there is May and if you are doing a lot of hiking - I used a waterproof jacket and waterproof boots and a pair of nylon nike pants w/o lining to put over my jeans (wet jeans are awful). I had a thermal pullover over shirts, long or short sleeve and a hat. It did get windy and there was hail. I did fine.

wojazz3 Jun 17th, 2005 07:12 AM

If you intend to be out walking, light weight "packable" rain pants are a good idea. We went pony trekking in May and without the rain pants, the last 30 minutes would have been miserable. If you aren't doing much outside walking, you won't need them but the packable ones take up very little space and I was VERY glad to have them.

Bill

wojazz3 Jun 17th, 2005 07:13 AM

By the way, we palyed the Connemara Isles golf course and Cruit Island course. Inexpensive and a blast.

Bill

Leona Jun 17th, 2005 07:48 AM

We were in that same area last August. I wore a light cotton sweater under a rain poncho (w/hood) most days. It was cool & drizzly most of the time, the kind of mist that an umbrella doesn't protect you from.

Worktowander Jun 17th, 2005 09:39 AM

The best thing I took to Ireland was a set of silk long underwear - the kind you can buy at outdoors stores. Got mine from www.cabelas.com. I love them because they pack up really tiny, are very thin so they don't show or bunch up under clothes, they're breathable and they're warm. I wore the shirt on cool days, added the pants under my khakis or jeans on very windy days.

I take them along on all my cool-weather trips now. Actually wish I'd had the shirt, at least, in Venice in April.

kelsorosie Jul 8th, 2012 11:41 AM

Bring a waterproof jacket, summer clothes and Warm, Winter clothes ! Like said already, you get get all four seasons in a day ! Be prepared, but its still a beautiful counrty so enjoy anf have Fun! :)

Tony2phones Jul 8th, 2012 06:02 PM

Great post off another forum
http://www.tripadvisor.ie/ShowTopic-...d-Ireland.html

janisj Jul 8th, 2012 06:20 PM

kelsorosie: "<i>Bring a waterproof jacket, summer clothes and Warm, Winter clothes ! Like said already, . . . </i>"

OK -- welcome to Fodors. Did you happen to notice this thread is <u>seven years</u> old. Sort of doubt the OP is still looking for advice.

You said <i>what</i> already? Since this was your first post . . .

Tony2phones Jul 8th, 2012 06:36 PM

That will teach me to look at the dates. Years as well as months!!

JeanneV Jul 9th, 2012 08:57 AM

Sorry to say so, but it "comes with age," Tony!