Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   What city to visit after London conference (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/what-city-to-visit-after-london-conference-74849/)

Janice Doescher Jun 5th, 2000 07:54 AM

What city to visit after London conference

We will be in London for a conference for 4 days in mid-October. We would like to visit another city after the conference but only have 4 days. Any suggestions? We were thinking of Paris or Dublin. We are quite sure this conference will be in Paris someday. Perhaps you have another city in mind? Remember we only have 4 days! Thanks so much

stacey Jun 5th, 2000 08:00 AM

If you haven't seen anywhere else in England and you only have 4 days, I would suggest seeing some of the country - Cambridge is worth a few days alone. The bus tour is a great place to start.

Cathy Jun 5th, 2000 08:14 AM

Janice, <BR>Check out www.ryanair.ie for cheap flights from London to Dublin. They are as low as $20 return. For info'on where to stay then www.ireland.travel.ie or www.hidden-ireland.com <BR> <BR>Cathy

jason Jun 5th, 2000 08:17 AM

Go to the Cotswolds!! Just about two hours west of London. The true english countryside is wonderful. Stay near Stow-on-the-Wold.

Debbie Jun 5th, 2000 08:20 AM

Janice-I would highly recommend going up to York and the surrounding countryside. York is a wonderful city,lots to see and do and is a great walking city.The prices on goods,hotels and meals are more reasonable than London and it is steeped with history and the gorgeous countryside(James herriot country). The town of Whitby(nearby) on the coast is a great place to stop for a bite to eat and soak up the cute fishing village(the story of Dracula originates out of Whitby with him coming out of the sea and coming up the steps of the old church),go over to Thirsk which is where the real James Herriot had his practice,Ripons Abbey(one of the closest places to heaven you will ever visit-ruined abbey located in a area where walking and enjoying the sounds and views are unbelievable!)Go on a ghost walk in York,walk around the town on the old brick wall and enjoy the beautiful cathedral in the center of town. I could go on but suffice it to say that the northern area is where you still see the true England .Have a super trip! Debbie

Jen Jun 5th, 2000 12:38 PM

I agree - go to the English country-side.

Sheila Jun 5th, 2000 12:52 PM

Edinburgh <BR>Edinburgh itself is a mixture of a wonderful late mediaeval city with a planned Georgian New Town. The Castle is a must, but a brisk hike up Arthur's seat (a hill in the centre of the town above Holyrood Palace) will give you magnificent views out over the whole of east central Scotland. The Forth Rail bridge is worth driving past. The estuary of the Forth widens to superb beaches (with wonderful links golf courses behind them ) and in Fife you have St Andrew's, home of golf (the beach where they filmed the opening sequences of Chariots of Fire?). To get there you go past Loch Leven where Mary Queen of Scots was kept imprisoned on one of the islands. <BR> <BR>The Royal yacht Britannia is berthed at Leith, Edinburgh's port, and can be visited by the public, and the new Museum of Scotland in the centre of the City is pretty good, for the architecture as well as the exhibits. <BR> <BR>It's also a great shopping city. <BR> <BR>To the south you are about an hour's drive from the Borders; lovely rolling hills and some lovely stately mansions including Abbotsford which was owned by Sir Walter Scott- whose memorial is in the middle of Edinburgh's main shopping street, and which can be climbed for the view over the gardens and up to the Castle. <BR> <BR>Further north there are Perth and Stirling, and the foothills of the big hills (big by British standards, that is) <BR> <BR>Mary Kings Close is a street which, in the middle ages, was on ground level but when the great plague came to visit Scotland (and Edinburgh in particular) it hit the place hard. The worst section of the city was right in the heart of the 'old town', where the present City Chambers are nowadays. This street was known as Mary Kings Close (after an advocate’s daughter so the story goes) and the local authorities, the kind beings that they are, decided to seal the both entrances of the street up with everyone still inside. This street was rediscovered many years later and now you can take a tour down there. WARNING - they tell you that because of the many people sealed alive down there that there are ghost aplenty. It may be true - I went down a couple of years ago and it was a very, very chilly experience. Tours can be arranged from the Royal Mile <BR> <BR>The two best places in Edinburgh for folk music are 2 pubs (surprise!) One is the Tron and the other is Sandy Bell's. Sandy Bell's also used to produce a news-sheet "Sandy Bell's Broadsheet" and I think they still do, which lists all the folky stuff going on all over Scotland. <BR>As far as Edinburgh is concerned, I can think of another pub which houses traditional/folk music. It's the Ensign Ewart which is situated near the entrance to the Castle - can't miss it. <BR> <BR>Arthur's Seat IS a magnificent climb and, unless it is raining, well worth it for the views. It is a great openspace in the city. The approx. 1/2 mile hike provides a commanding view of the city, castle, sea, and sorrounding countryside. <BR>Another possibility is to take your car up to the northwestern suburbs. In Davidson's Mains there is a baronial (i.e., circa 1895 but looking very medieval) house called Lauriston Castle. The tours are great, as this "castle" has secret passageways, a library bookshelf that hides a secret door, etc. From Davidson's Mains it is a very short (7-8 minutes)drive to Cramond, which has a yachtsman's harbor, the mouth of the River Almond, a medieval church (Cramond Kirk) and the remains (in the churchyard!) of Rome's northernmost garrison fort. <BR>The New Town <BR>The Royal Mile <BR>The Castle <BR>Valvona and Crolla <BR>Greyfriars Bobby <BR>The Meadows <BR>Dean village <BR>the Scott Monument <BR>Calton Hill <BR>Arthur's Seat <BR>Hollyrood- palace and Park <BR>The New parliament <BR>The Museum of Childhood <BR>Cafe Vittoria <BR>St Giles Cathedral <BR>Parliament House <BR>Make sure you visit the National Museum of Scotland (Chambers St) in Edinburgh. It just opened and is incredible. <BR>As for places to not miss, don't miss the city of Edinburgh. There is so much to see and do. I enjoy the Palace of Holyrood, Edinburgh Castle, Mary Kings Close, Georgian House, Gladstone’s Land, St Giles Cathedral, and the Scott Monument. Plus there are great restaurants, pubs, gardens and parks. My favorite restaurant is The Marque. It is on Causewayside and the food is fantastic. The prices were quite reasonable considering the level of cuisine (about $35.00 per person including dessert). If it's atmosphere you like try The Witchery. The prices are a little steep, but the food is good and it's right beside the castle. (as far as atmosphere, the name says it all) <BR> <BR>There is a visitor's gallery at the Scottish parliament and you can get tickets from (would you believe) the ticket office! There is no dress code. <BR> <BR>We had dinner at Breck's Pub on Rose Street and I believe Princes St. Best meal we had in the UK our whole trip. Breck's is easy to find it has mounds of flowers all over the building. <BR> <BR>For a truly memorable dining experience, go to the George. It is a wonderful room and the food is exquisite. Don't miss it! <BR> <BR>We happened upon a wonderful restaurant called Stac Poly. The staff was wonderful and lots of fun and made my daughter's birthday very special. Highly recommend you have dinner there one night. <BR> <BR> <BR> <BR> <BR> <BR>

Karen Jun 5th, 2000 02:04 PM

I totally agree with Jason, go west to the Cotswolds...it would take a lifetime to see all the beauty, history and interesting homes, gardens, churches and scenery. Four days will just zoom by and traveling a long distance seems a pity when within a short distance you could be fulfilled.

Diane Jun 7th, 2000 10:12 PM

I agree with the recommendations given to stay in the British Isles. I especially recommend York and vicinity or Edinburgh. If you go to York, and if you're feeling brave, you can rent a car and drive to Castle Howard, Fountains Abbey (near Ripon), and out into the Yorkshire Dales. There are also bus trips available to these places. The train from London to York is only two hours, and I believe the train trip to Edinburgh is only two hours beyond that. You could actually see both cities if you wanted to. Some folks make a day trip out of London to see York,