Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   What city(or Country) to pair with Murren, Switzerland? (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/what-city-or-country-to-pair-with-murren-switzerland-953468/)

tarheeltravler Oct 12th, 2012 03:07 PM

What city(or Country) to pair with Murren, Switzerland?

We are headed to Murren, Switzerland the first week of September, 2013 for 5 nights. Flying all the way from the East coast of the US, we'd like to include another location.
I'd love to revisit Venice, but it seems too far by train. I've recently read a lot about Brussels, and would love to do that.
We prefer to travel by train, but could rent a car if needed.
Any suggestions as to what to pair with this part of Switzerland?

bobthenavigator Oct 12th, 2012 04:32 PM

The lakes of Italy---fly home from Milan.

tarheeltravler Oct 14th, 2012 03:35 AM

Thanks for the suggestion Bob, I'll look into that.

pore Oct 14th, 2012 06:05 AM

There are so many great places to see in Switzerland that I do not understand why you should do a big trip to see something else than the great Bernese Oberland. Here a few places you could visit from Mürren:
- www.schilthorn.ch (very close)
- www.myjungfrau.ch (all the places in the Jungfrau area)
- www.haslital.ch (the area above and around Meiringen)
- www.aareschlucht.ch (the Aar Gorge, very impressive)
- www.reichenbachfall.ch (can be combined with the Aar Gorge
- www.adelboden.ch
- www.kandersteg.ch
- www.berne.ch (a Unesco World Heritage, the Swiss capital)
- www.Lucerne.ch (a great area with many mountain excursions, sitting on a beautiful lake)
etc etc etc
Have fun
pore

PalenQ Oct 14th, 2012 07:41 AM

Yes if another country I'd consider Italy - Venice is about a 6 hour train ride from Interlaken I believe and the Italian lakes are about half-way - stay a day or two there and end up and fly home from Venice?

folks basing in Murren may find a Swiss Pass especially viable since it covers in full the expensive trains and aerial cabelways up to Murren, either via Grutschalp or Stechelberg/Gimmelwald so if basing and coming back and forth each day that could be a good deal.

For loads of great stuff about Swiss train, cable cars, passes and other things like the Half-Fare Card, Swiss Card, Swiss Transfer ticket, etc I always spotlight these IMO fantastic sources - www.swisstravelsytem.com; http://www.budgeteuropetravel.com/id3.html and www.ricksteves.com.

tarheeltravler Oct 14th, 2012 12:22 PM

Excellent point pore. Thank you for the links, I'll grab a map and explore.
Thank you PalenQ, I'll check those out!

HappyTrvlr Oct 14th, 2012 12:44 PM

We did this two week itinerary with a rental car from Milan. Milan, Lake Orta/ Lake Maggiore, cross border to Switzerland and buy vignette for car(Swiss road fees), Berner Oberland(Grindelwald) for 5 days, Pontresina(near St.Moritz) then south across border to Italy, to Lake Como, flew out of Milan, a big loop, very easy to do.

HappyTrvlr Oct 14th, 2012 12:46 PM

P.A. Re:Brussels..other than the Grand Place, not much else to recommend it except for it's great dining.

Gretchen Oct 14th, 2012 02:25 PM

Yanno, nothing is very far in mid-Europe. You could choose whatever you want. Have you been to Paris?

Lee1102 Oct 14th, 2012 02:55 PM

I just spent a 2-week honeymoon vacation in Switzerland and I would definitely suggest spending all your time in that amazing country. There is so much to see and experience that will be a nice vacation from the US: the people, food, scenery, public transport, culture, Swiss pride, chocolate, etc. makes it such a memorable experience without spending too much time traveling. Our favorite spot outside of the BO was Lucerne. Watching the swans and swimming in the lake with Mt. Pilatus in the distance was just stunningly perfect.

Gretchen Oct 14th, 2012 03:47 PM

I won't really say "no" to the above, mainly because of the event, but Switzerland is not the cultural or culinary capital of the world. It IS beautiful.
If it is what you choose, then it is exactly right. BUT there is a lot more elsewhere, and a lot less cost. LOL

Geonev Oct 14th, 2012 03:55 PM

I would not consider traveling so far across Europe to visit Brussels, which I don't really care for. If you want a contrast to Switzerland, Italy is perfect. As others have suggested, consider one of the lakes (Como, Maggiore come to mind).

PalenQ Oct 15th, 2012 06:24 AM

Well if budget plays a factor then yes Switzerland is one of the most expensive countries in the world - bring anything you can in with you - toiletries, even food if eating in your room or picnicking, etc.

tarheeltravler Oct 15th, 2012 08:11 AM

Gretchen, I'm not sure why, but my husband and I have no desire to visit Paris. Sounds silly, I know.
I read a great trip report about a visit to Brussels, caught my attention. That's where that interest came from.
I'm looking at Bern and Lucerne now, and may go that route.
Also, the Italian Lakes sound great. Anyone have a favorite town, hotel, B & B?
I do appreciate all the feedback, it's very helpful.

bobthenavigator Oct 15th, 2012 09:19 AM

http://www.stelladitalia.com/htm_us/fr1_hotel.htm

Halfway between Lugano and Lago Como.