Reload this Page >

What city as a base in Amalfi area?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 25th, 1999, 06:17 PM
Mary

We're going to Italy in October and need some help for our Southern part of the trip. <BR>(we'll be coming from Rome) <BR> <BR>We want to see Pompei and or Herculium, the Amalfi coast, and Paestum, which is much further south. From there we're going on to Sicily. I though of stopping in Paestum on my way to Sicily but luggage will be a problem. Sorrento seems like a good base, but not for Paestum. <BR> <BR>I purchased a great map in Italy once that shows several little roads that seem to cut thru from Ravello to Pompei, instead of going via the entire coast. Are these roads an option? Also, several of the hotels state that they have excursions/tours available to the sites we're interested in. Has anyone used them? Any recommendtions? <BR> <BR>Most of the towns from Sorrento to Salerno look wonderful. It really doesn't matter which one we stay in, I'm sure they'll all be great. However, I'm thinking there must be one area that strategically speaking, is better for accessing all of the sites. <BR> <BR>Thanks for any help. <BR> <BR>Mary

Old Jun 25th, 1999, 07:00 PM
Tom

Dear Mary, <BR> We've been to the Amalfi coast several times and based ourselves in the town of Amalfi. It sounds like you have a car, but I would suggest you park it when you arrive and take the boats or buses to get around. You'll enjoy the scenery alot more and it's easier on the nerves. I haven't tried the tours but there probably a good idea, both because of the driving and the expertise of the guides. <BR> The roads connecting Ravello and Amalfi are shorter than going all the way around, but they're not that easy of a drive . <BR> Are you driving down to Sicily? Parking your car for a few hours at Paestum with all your luggage might be a little risky. I don't know the parking arrangement there. <BR> Email me if you have questions about Sicily. <BR> Tom

Old Jun 25th, 1999, 07:03 PM
debbie

Hi Mary, as I got into Forum for France it started in Europe where your question appeared as first. It caught my eye as I've traveled to Italy many times (I'm 100% Italian decent, am American and speak Italiano)and have done a similar trip. On one trip for business with my brother, driving the Amalfi we stayed at a lovely place and found it by driving and simply seeing a sign for hotel or pensione. It also was October, so no need for reservation. This place, like most, you see gates atop at road level and hotel is below on side of cliff. It's really something! Traveling south to north, where water on your left, this place was on left. Reception may have been "on road level" but then you walked down to rooms. There were not many rooms but I remember it as very pleasant and price was good value and not expensive (rato di cambio- exchange rate was probably 1700 lire to one $). It may have also had a pool but am not trusting my memory for that. <BR> <BR>Another time with my husband we stay in Ravenna (or is it Ravina) at a neat, austere old abbey. Again, we just stopped in town and asked for place to stay, "pensione, per favore?" We had 3 choices and walked to check each. This old place was beautiful with a lovely view looking south (it was "up" the hill on your right in last example) but since there was a foreign, non-Italian group eating we did not get a nice Italian dinner and we complained about the tasteless food. Received a discount and apology. Sorry, do not recall the names but when I travel in Italy I never make reservation for sleeping places and I have great memories of many of them! Buon viaggio!! Now it' to France forum for my August trip.

Old Jun 26th, 1999, 02:07 AM
Dan

Made a similar trip in April. Two weeks in Naples area followed by a drive down south and ferry over to Sicily. Spent week in Sicily then drove back to Rome. Have always (and will always) be partial to Positano. October is still pleasant and rates are reasonable. Have info on a great B&B there (email me if you want) CIAO <BR>

Old Jun 26th, 1999, 09:29 AM
Mary

Thanks for your responses. No, we're not driving. We're taking trains and buses and relying on excursions. Does this change anything? <BR> <BR>Thanks, Mary

Old Jun 27th, 1999, 06:14 PM
Joanna

I stayed at Sorrento and can heartily recommend it as a base, though it is perhaps further north than you wish to be. The facilities there are excellent, esp. ferries to/from the islands and train connections. You mentioned picking up excursions. My friend and I were booked on the Amalfi Coast tour and none of the tour buses that stopped at the hotel pickup point had our names listed. A stuff up either that end or ours. As it was our last day there we decided to return to our hotel, where the concierge kindly arranged for a car and driver for the day to do what the coach tour would have done. It cost us 150,000L each, but was totally worth it. We did all the tour would have done, plus more, as we could choose where to stop for photos, coffee, lunch (recommended by our driver) and could linger at the Amalfi cathedral and other stops. Also please note that we were told there is only one tour to Paestum a week ex Sorrento - Thursdays. We were very sorry to miss it.

Old Jun 27th, 1999, 07:41 PM
Joanna

Sorry - the "north" in my posting above should have read "south". It's my antipodean location that caused the slip up!

Old Jun 28th, 1999, 04:07 AM
francesca

We used Amalfi as a base and it is very central to the rest of the coast. However, Ravello was our favorite town. It may be a bit out of the way (5 km up the cliffs from Amalfi and the main coastal road) to be used as a base, though. We tried using the main roads from the highway from Naples to get to Amalfi (thinking it'd be quicker than going to Salerno and using the coast road. The towns we drove through were incredibly depressing, there was a serious shortage of road signs and it took forever. Going from Salerno would probably be just as fast and much prettier, as well as a better orientation to the area. We had a car and are glad we had one. It's great for exploring and not that scary if you stay zen and go slow. As for the roads from Ravello to Pompeii: this was a, er, memorable trip. Up, up, up tiny moutain roads in fog so thick you could literally not see 1 foot in front of you. It may be a quicker way to go, but NOT in bad weather!!! Have a great trip!

Old Jun 28th, 1999, 08:32 AM
kam

I suggest that you base on the Amalfi coast, preferably in Amalfi. After you have booked your hotel, through the hotel see if you can arrange for a car and driver to meet you at the train in Naples and take you to Pompeii and Erculaneum. Both places would be very difficult with luggage in tow and I've heard that the tours are not so great, although I've never been on one. I realize that I'm spending some money here, but I think it's worth it to see both sites conveniently and with luggage secured. I love Positano and would stay there, but the downside of Positano is that it is at the northern edge of the Amalfi coast. The mountain roads are an experience--I wouldn't count on them for anything but an adventurous drive someday. Good luck

Old Jun 28th, 1999, 08:30 PM
Mary

Thanks to everyone for your help. This is what we've decided: <BR> <BR>We've hired a guide to take us from Rome to Pompeii, perhaps Herculium, and then to the hotel we've booked in Positano. (Eden Roc) <BR> <BR>Yes, I gave in to all the hubbub on Positano and just had to see it for myself! I figured I'd do the Napoli area on the way down, and spend <BR>the balance of time checking out the coastal area: Ravello, Vietri, Amalfi, and Paestum. <BR> <BR>Thanks again to all! <BR> <BR>Mary

Old Apr 3rd, 2001, 04:47 AM
DJ

Roundtrip Hydrofoil from Sorrento to Capri is $36 USD per person.