Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   What can you tell me about the Sloane Square, Chelsea area ? (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/what-can-you-tell-me-about-the-sloane-square-chelsea-area-735294/)

seetheworld Sep 9th, 2007 03:39 PM

What can you tell me about the Sloane Square, Chelsea area ?

We are considering renting a flat in this area.

What can you tell me about the immediate area? Is it safe to walk at night? Are there any pubs in the area?

How long of a trip would it be to Picadilly?

Anything that you can tell me to help us get a better feel for the area would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Scarlett Sep 9th, 2007 03:51 PM

I remember the area being very nice with beautiful shops and cafes and nice homes. We shopped at General Trading Company and went to a large antiques mall..The Royal Hospital is there ( the old soldiers home?) and the Chelsea Flower show is there..

Here is a link to a nice website that can give you an idea of what the area is like :)

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/07231/810077-37.stm

janisj Sep 9th, 2007 03:55 PM

Sloan Sq is a very nice/upscale area. There is a tube station right there - on the circle and district lines.

monet77 Sep 9th, 2007 04:07 PM

I love that area! My college roommate moved to London and lived just off Sloane Street, so my husband and I visited a couple times a year for many years. I don't think you could be more centrally located. Upper Sloane Street takes you right to Knightsbridge and Lower Sloane leads to Pimlico. Many choices in restaurants and pubs, with a Boots and WH Smith right at Sloane Square.

seetheworld Sep 9th, 2007 04:10 PM

:) Scarlett, I googled that same article, lol. It gives quite a nice overview of the area (I love the term "Sloane Rangers").

Thanks janis and monet -- I appreciate the feedback.

As the planner in the family, I have a lot riding on my shoulders. Glad to have the insight and feedback of Fodorite's on my side!

:D

seetheworld Sep 10th, 2007 03:23 AM

ttt for the daytime Londoners...

Is there a Tesco in the area?

Thank you.

audere_est_facere Sep 10th, 2007 03:27 AM

It's a lovely area and there are loads of good pubs and restaurants there.

i'm buggered if I know if there's a tesco though.

kmowatt Sep 10th, 2007 03:34 AM

It's a great area; perfectly safe for walking and a few good pubs within walking distance (see www.fancyapint.com for rec's). I can't remember a local Tesco, but there is a good M&S food hall and a Waitrose on King's Road.

Sloane Square tube is not dorectly connected with the Piccadilly line so you would need to change at Victoria and then again at Green Park; although you could exit at Green Park and walk along Piccadilly towards the circus. I love this area and usually spend my first day in London walking the King's Road.

PatrickLondon Sep 10th, 2007 03:42 AM

To Piccadilly from Sloane Square, take a bus - 19 or 22. You get to see more: otherwise, you could take the tube the "wrong" way to South Kensington and change to the Piccadilly Line there (it will be quicker than the bus).

Your nearest Tesco is right up the top of Draycott Avenue, near S Ken tube station. But Tescos is a bit downmarket for this area (we are talking AbFab country, sweetie).

jody Sep 10th, 2007 03:59 AM

Along the King's Rd there are wonderful shops. Partridge's in the Duke of York Square has a wonderful section of top quality foods. Art galleries, pubs, antiques..it's my favorite street in London
You certainly cannot go wrong

audere_est_facere Sep 10th, 2007 04:13 AM

This is exactly the kind of thread that needs the impact of that old poodlefaker MKingdom. I wonder what happened to him? Perhaps he was horsewhipped on the steps of his club?

Or perhaps left in a room with a loaded revolver and a bottle of whisky following that "unpleasantness".

PatrickLondon Sep 10th, 2007 04:51 AM

I thought she was too busy writing Jennifer's Diary.

audere_est_facere Sep 10th, 2007 05:08 AM

He stopped posting aboput the time that Nigel Dempster died didn't he?

seetheworld Sep 10th, 2007 08:54 AM

I have further found out that the flat is located on Franklin's Row.

Sounds like the Sloane Square area is a great place to be.

janisj Sep 10th, 2007 09:16 AM

There is a Sainsbury's on Sloane Ave.

Franklin's Row is just south of Sloan Square and practically across the street from Chelsea Hospital. A very, very nice location. Be sure to visit the Hospital - not a "hospital", but Christopher Wren's beautiful creation that is home to military pensioners.

(W/ that location, I'll bet their rates double during the flower show. )

hsv Sep 10th, 2007 10:35 AM

For pubs in the area:
A nice one is right behind the Waitrose shop on Kings Road: The Builders Arms on 13 Britten St.
Another one is still further down Kings Road and then towards the Embankment: The Pig's Ear on 35 Old Church St. Its menu is more of Gastropub quality.
In the other direction, The Nag's Head in belgravia is kind of quirky, but nice enough. It's on 53 Kinnerton St., a bit hidden, but quite close to the Berkeley Hotel.
Walking at night is absolutely safe.
The River Thames should be a stone's throw from yur apartment. And a short walk across Chelsea Bridge brings you to nice Battersea Park.

Nikki Sep 10th, 2007 10:52 AM

I rented an apartment near Sloane's Square two years ago, and it was a really nice area. We enjoyed the Italian restaurant Manicomio, 85 Duke of York Square, tel. 020 7730 3366.

For a more casual meal we liked a Lebanese restaurant, Al-Dar, at 74 King's Road, tel. 020 7584 1873.

The Waitrose supermarket on King's Road was very good.

alanRow Sep 10th, 2007 10:52 AM

<<< Is it safe to walk at night? >>>

apart from the few Princess Di clones it's pretty safe - it's one of the more upmarket areas of London and is famous for Sloane Rangers & Chelsea Tractors

flanneruk Sep 10th, 2007 12:56 PM

"Is there a Tesco in the area?"

No. Sloane Square is the farthest point in central London from any kind of Tesco. If you want to take your life in your hands and do the marathon trek across to Warwick Way in Victoria or the Tesco Express in Royal Hospital Rd, you can get back in touch with the commoners.

But as my most snobbish friend in the area puts it "One meets people like One at the Waitrose in Motcomb St. SO much classier than the one in the Kings Road, Almost as civilised as the Waitrose in Cirencester"

seetheworld Sep 10th, 2007 01:17 PM

LoL. Thank you for the Sloane Square education. :)

The area sounds devine and I'm sure we would be happy with the local markets and pubs.

Now I am just waiting for a few questions to be answered regarding the rental rates and hopefully we will be set (I am trying to contain my excitement for the moment). I am still crossing my fingers, just to be sure.

Thanks so much.