Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   What Can You Tell Me About HUNGARY and BUDAPEST? (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/what-can-you-tell-me-about-hungary-and-budapest-14828/)

April Press Jun 7th, 1997 06:45 PM

What Can You Tell Me About HUNGARY and BUDAPEST?

We are going to Hungary in August and would appreciate any advice or reccomendations that you could pass on about the country, people and good places to visit and eat. Would you reccomend the Hydrofoil to Vienna as a good trip?

Sandy Racz Jun 8th, 1997 11:16 AM

We are going to Budapest and Hungary in July. We Contacted Zsolt Nagy of Affordable Accomodations Reservations System for Hungary and he was very helpful with lots of recommendations. We have rented a car and staying at a pansion in the hills, and plan on a city tour on the "Pink Bus". Then dinner on a boat docked on the river. We are going to the Pecs area and Zsolt is trying to get us a room in a Castle. We only have 3 days here then on to Austria and Italy. http://www.magnet.hu

Craig Theo de Lange Jun 10th, 1997 05:21 AM

I visited Hungary - Budapest twice in a period of 3
months at the beginning of this year. FANTASTIC
Even if you are young like myself do not be afraid to attend an OPERA it lasts 3 hours with a few intervals in between. Budapest is really the place to be and should you wish for more information of which I have plenty mail me and I will respond within a couple of hours.

Actually it would be a good idea to contact me.

Sarah Scandiffio Jun 13th, 1997 03:22 PM

I have been to Budapest in early April on a 5 day trip. It was a beautiful city, although a little smoggy at times but all European cities are. When you go you should go to the Hungarian Spas (you will find them most anywhere in Budapest), the Citadel. Don't go to Castle Hill on a Monday because all of the museums are closed- we found out the hard way! Walk over the chain bridge, take a stroll down Vaci (pronounced Vatsy) utca and complete your day with a desert buffet at the Marriot while you overlook the Danube in all its glory. Sorry to burst your bubble but the Danube isn't BLUE! Any other questions, e-mail. Budapest is wonderful! Have fun and say hello to the statue of the girl holding a feather to the clouds for me!

RONALD DOBRYDNIO Jun 20th, 1997 09:18 AM

JUST RETURNED FROM FOUR DAYS IN BUDAPEST. ENJOYED OURSELVES A LOT. YOU CAN GET A NICE LUNCH AT THE DUNA CORSO A BIT SOUTH OF THE CHAIN BRIDGE. GUNDEL'S RESTAURANT IS VERY NICE. THEY WILL PUT YOU OUTSIDE IN SUMMER BUT IF YOU CAN AVOID THIS AS BUDAPEST HAS MOSQUITOES AFTER DARK AND THE DINING ROOM IS GORGEOUS AND AIR CONDITIONED. WE ATTENDED A PERFORMANCE OF THE OPERETTA AND ENJOYED OURSELVES A LOT. FOOD IS GOOD AND INTERESTING. PEOPLE FRIENDLY AND GENERALLY BILINGUAL IN RESTAURANTS AND SHOPS. VIEW FROM THE CASTLE/PALACE HILL IS GREAT AND AT NIGHT IT IS LIT UP BEAUTIFULLY.

Jens K. A. Dinesen Jun 23rd, 1997 01:26 AM

Don't concentrate too much on Budapset; the countryside is charming - even on the great plain. Try to visit one of the national parks, see the hilly north and the castle ruins at Eger; pay homage to the world-famous wines at Tokay, see the castle at Gyula, and dont forget to visit the impressive town of Kecskemet right in the center of the country (and eat at the restaurant of the "Harom Gunar" (3 geese) Hotel). You mustn't bypass Pecs, nor Szeged. I could mention a number of other sites, but you also have to see the somewhat more touristy western part of the country, where my 5 trips to Hungary haven't taken me yet. Just one thing: this is a rather quiet country, and both sights and tourism are rather low-key. The exeption is Lake Balaton, which, from what I've read, should be avoided.

Andrew G. Jun 25th, 1997 05:01 PM

I have been to Budapest every year since 1991 and have seen much of the country too. The hydrofoil to Vienna is fast, but not a good way to see the scenery unless you get a good window seat..you can't go on deck. Also, as soon as the boat leaves dock the prices change to Austrian prices.....6 bucks for a salami sandwich! Rent a car or take a tour to the Danube Bend. A good restaurant....my favorite...is called Csendes (prounounced%3Dchen-desh). It is near the National Museum...ask a cop (Hol van a csendes?) or a "fair" taxi driver. Drop me a line for more info.

CHAM Jul 2nd, 1997 11:36 PM

I have lived in both Budapest and several cities in the countryside. Hungary is a fantastic place to visit. I have probably done all the major tourist things. I been on the hydrofoil to the basilica in Esztergom, and taken the train in the beautiful countryside outside of Veszprem. I've gone by car to Eger through the greenery of the Bukk mountains of the Northeast and enjoyed the hortobagy outside of Debrecen. I've eaten in some of the nicest restaurants, but one of my favorites was a little subterranean dive in the II district of Buda called "Marxim" which is a tribute to the communist past of Hungary. The pizza is average, but the outrageous atmosphere is unforgettable. Anyway, if any of this sounds interesting, feel free to e-mail me, and tell me what interests YOU, I would love to share whatever I can to make your experience memorable. Enjoy Hungary.

deb Jul 3rd, 1997 01:03 PM

I spent 4 days in Budapest the second week in May and found it to be wonderful. It was the end of a 2 week trip starting in Prague and moving onto Vinna and finishing up in Budapest. I found the last stop to be the best. The people are fabulous and many interesting things to buy. The artwork and handiwork are excellent buys. I stayed at the Marriott on the Danube -- every room has a river view. After traveling for business all over the world, this was one of the top 10 hotels I've stayed at. Have fun and talk with the locals -- they are very passionate!

Eli Ami Jul 7th, 1997 12:57 PM

We are going to stay 2 days at Budapest at the middle of August.
Any suggestions?
Are the tickets for the opera available at the opera counter only, and what the chance to have one in this time of the year?
Many thanks,
Eli