What can you tell me about Grosseto?

Jun 12th, 2001, 11:09 AM
visitor

What can you tell me about Grosseto?

Is this a nice destination for a daytrip? What's there that's of interest? Restaurants?
Any experiences to share?

Jun 13th, 2001, 09:21 AM
wondertoo

On another post, there was a beach recommended near Grosseto..we'd also be interested to know if Grosseto is a nice town to visit in combination with a beach day?

Jun 14th, 2001, 11:47 AM
SteveJames

The main reason to go to Grosseto would be to visit the ruins of the nearby Etruscan settlement of Roselle, which I found very interesting. The city itself is worth a coffee-stop in the 'centro storico' if you're passing by, but not worth a detour.

The nearby coastal town of Castiglione della Pescaia is pleasant. The Argentario peninsular (Orbetello, Porto Santo Stefano, Porto Ercole) a little further south is lovely. Outside Grosseto on the road to Siena you can bathe in warm springs ...

Hope this helps...

Steve

Jun 14th, 2001, 12:04 PM
kam

Think it's Rusellae and Vetulonia that Steve is recommending above for Etruscan ruins. You don't say where you are starting for your daytrip, but assuming it's Rome, I would choose Orvieto as the perfect daytrip destination. The excavations at Ostia Antica are also very interesting.Farther and about 2 hours, including a change of trains, is Assisi

Search this Thread