What can we see in Paris in 2 days?

Jun 6th, 2007, 09:40 PM
Original Poster

What can we see in Paris in 2 days?

Hi. Family of three. Son aged 10. We are going to get the train from London to Paris. We plan to see Notre Dame, Eiffel Tower, Lourve Museum, Arch of Triumph, Champs-Elysees Avenue;Sacre-Coeur Basillica. Is there anything else we should see? Thanks. Rosie.
Jun 6th, 2007, 09:52 PM

How long you going to be there
Jun 6th, 2007, 10:13 PM

Hi

If you are only going there for 2 days I think you have enough on your list I went to Paris last year with my wife and we stayed there a week. Here is my trip report with pictures and links http://gardkarlsen.com/Paris_France.htm . I have also made an interactive Google map of Paris http://gardkarlsen.com/paris_france_map.htm . I have marked the various attrations and you can click on the markers for more information. I hope this helps a little in your planning Have a great trip.

Regards
Gard
http://gardkarlsen.com - trip reports and pictures

Jun 6th, 2007, 10:38 PM

I think you've got plenty to see in two days.

I would say, day 1, do Arc du Triomphe and Champs-Elysees in the morning or early afternoon, and do Eiffel Tower in late afternoon. Factor in line up times. Take a break, sit at a cafe, or picnic in a park.

Then day 2, in the morning go to Louvre. Before going there, decide what is it that you want to see at the Louvre, and stick to that. Otherwise, you can easily spend a whole day there just wandering one wing! Then go over to Notre Dame and enjoy it. Then hope onto the metro and head to Montmartre-Sacre Coeur in the afternoon. Again, factor in line ups at the Louvre.

And if you find that you might have overplanned - relax, and recognize that you'll return to Paris again.

You could probably work in Eiffel Tower, Champs-Elysees and Arc du Triomphe in one day; and Sacre-Couer in morning, and Notre Dame and Louvre in the afternoon in another day. Do factor in line up times, and decide what do you want to see at the Louvre, and just stick to that plan. Assume you'll go back to Paris again, and don't sweat trying to see everything at the Louvre.

Maybe see Eiffel in late afternoon, so you can hang aron
Jun 6th, 2007, 10:39 PM

sorry - I meant to delete the last paragraph.
Jun 6th, 2007, 10:43 PM

I would delete Louvre from your list. It is too huge abd you have too short time. Add St. Chapelle and maybe Rodin Museum.
Jun 7th, 2007, 12:46 AM
Original Poster

Sounds great. I heard the Lourve is opened till 9.45pm on Wed and Fridays so we might go there late in the afternoon and see the other sites during the day. Thanks.
Jun 7th, 2007, 07:01 AM

Late opening hours at the Louvre are good - and I did find it a lot less crowded when I went one evening then during the day. I think you can do everything you want to do in those 2 days with good planning. Metro is very good and will get you to places quicker.
Jun 7th, 2007, 07:56 AM

Is your son interested in Museums? With 2 days, I'd go 'to' the Louvre, but maybe not in. I might guess the the Cluny museum (built over roman baths) or maybe the Musee de L'Armee might be more "bite size' and thus less time intensive.

As several posters here have noted lately, the Champs Elysee is not the icon it once once. The Arc is nice, the view up the Champs from Place Concorde is nice, but the actual street itself is not "romantic Paris" to me.

Are you going to Scare Coeur strictly for the view? I might skip this and do the same from the Eiffel Tower. The cathedral, IMHO, is nothing special. Place du Tertre is interesting if you want your portrait painted or to buy some art...but with 2 days, I would skip Montmartre.

So...let's say day 1 Right Bank, Day 2 Left Bank

Day 1...Arc, (Champ Elysee), Place de la Concorde, Place Vendome, Tuileries Gardens, outside of Louvre, (Louvre), bit of Rivoli, Palais Royal

Metro to Place des Vosges for Lunch

Metro to Notre Dame (Cite stop). St Chapelle (if line ups not too long), cross over to Left Bank, walk along Seine, Square du Vert Galant (tip of Ile de la Cite) for views and pick up Vedettes du Pont Neuf Seine cruise tickets (latest possible time 10/10:30)

Hotel to freshen up, dinner ~8 on Left Bank near Notre Dame, cruise, see Eiffel Tower lit up and sparkling

Day 2..early, metro to Trocadero. Walk between Palais Chaillot and wham, there's the Eiffel tower. Cross bridge and go up tower. Metro to Ecole Militaire, enjoy Invalides park,

maybe see Napoleon's tomb,walk along Seine..

Lunch in this area before/after above

Boulevard St Germain. (Optional... Orsay or Rodin Museum)...Cluny Museum, Luxembourg Gardens, Buci street market
(possbly Arene de Lutece). At end of St Germain, cross over to Ile St Louis.

Dinner on Ile St Louis, or on Left Bank, east of Notre Dame (many good restos, some with views of ND). I recommend Rotisserie du Beaujolais in this area). Afterwards, head to bridges over Seine near Ile de la Cite, for views of Paris at night, Eiffel tower in distance. Good memories.

A swag...