What can we do with 2 nights is Geneva?

Old May 28th, 2008, 05:20 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What can we do with 2 nights is Geneva?

Well - planning never goes smoothly when it is last minute. Although I managed to get a hotel room for 6 nights in Montreux during the jazz festival, that leaves 2 nights before our flight home. Getting a Geneva hotel was difficult, with availability poor and prices outrageous. However, I found a Holiday Inn/Geneva Airport Hotel on the French side, with shuttles into the city, to the airport, and to the train station, for a reasonable rate, and have reservations there for the 2 nights. But- I'm not really interested in Geneva itself. So - can I use it as a base for a day somewhere else? Can you make suggestions of what is easily accessible? Since I will be coming from 6 nights in the Montreux/Vevey area, I am looking for something else. This will be a Sunday, in case things are closed. Suggestions of places to eat a reasonable dinner in Geneva will be welcome as well.
Old May 28th, 2008, 07:06 PM

About thirty tears ago I took the train from Geneva - from the small station up the hill on the south side of the lake, if I recall - to Chamonix/ Mont Blanc and Annecy. Others here should be able to fill you in on the current logistics for a memorable day trip. The cemetery in Chamonix has the graves (and usually the ice picks) of fallen climbers - the most recent at the time of my visit was of a young New Yorker - his epitaph was simply 'I chose to climb'.
Old May 28th, 2008, 08:01 PM

farrermog has some excellent suggestions. If you use a search engine for day trips from Geneva you
should get some good information also. You didn't mention if you are traveling by car or will be traveling by train, and that may make a difference in your choice.
You should find no shortage of wonderful places to go. Have a good trip.
Old May 28th, 2008, 08:53 PM

I love Annecy and would second that suggestion. You can also take a ferry out to Yvoire, its very charming. You didn't say if you like walks because there are lots of places where you can do a nice day's walk. A climb up La Dole from the chalet (about 30 kms from Geneva- you probably need a car to get there) is a nice 2 hr walk and the views from the top are beautiful.
Old May 29th, 2008, 01:38 AM

Hi butnotrmpt,

Think also about going to Yvoire in France. It's a medieval village with flowers spilling just everywhere. There's not much there besides some hotels, restaurants, and a few touristy shops -- but it's just lovely.

I got there with a ferry/boatbus from Nyon, but I've heard that there is a way to bike to it from Geneva. I would definitely be interested in that.

Good luck!

s
Old May 29th, 2008, 01:57 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the suggestions. It appears that the best way to get to Annecy is by bus, 1 hr. 15 minute ride. Truthfully this does not sound appealing, spending several hours on a bus on our last day. I'd rather take the ferry somewhere, so that the trip itself is an enjoyable journey. From the ferry map it looks like we can take the ferry to Yvoire, so maybe we will look into that. Does anyone suggest spending the day in Geneva?

Old Jun 3rd, 2008, 11:53 AM

Hi butnotrmpt:

I just got back from 5 days in Geneva. First time to Switzerland and I stayed in Geneva with a friend who lives there (was on a tight budget). So I will tell you about Geneva since I walked around it soooo much. My day trips from Geneva was to Lyon France, 2 hours by car, Chamonix/Mont Blanc by bus, 1 hour by bus which runs 7 days a week, Montreux by train (my absolute favorite of all places). If it your last day and dont want to spend a lot of time traveling, walking around Geneva would take up a day. There are boat rides around the lake - I took one that was 14chf for about an hour. I know they will be running longer rides starting in June. Of course there is the fountain and the flower clock (which did nothing for me). You can walk into Old Geneva which is very pretty. Geneva is a city, small, but clean and more quiet (I am from NJ and used to NY city). As far as cheap food, good luck. Since I was on a budget I ate pizza most of the time for lunch. Could not just buy a "slice" but had to buy a personal size which was about 14 chf with a coke which was 4 chf. Pizza was very good there. There is a McDonalds and Starbucks but did not go into any of them. If it is a Sunday, most stores are closed, but all the resturants/cafes are open. They have many parks you can walk through. But I will have to tell you, coming from 6 days in Montreux, Geneva will not compare. The rest of the city is just like any other city. Good Luck, I am jealous, I love Switzerland and would go back in a heartbeat.
Old Jun 3rd, 2008, 06:43 PM
Original Poster

Thanks eald. I am also from the NYC area, so I can appreciate your comparison. Luckily, I was able to get a different hotel - as of now, the plan is to stay at the Warwick, which is near the Coravin train station (along with dozens of other hotels). That will make it easier to enjoy the day, and still be within quick reach of the airport the next morning. Tripadvisor had a few restaurants that sounded appealing, particularly a brunch/sandwich/bakery kind of place and a pasta/pizza place that I definitely want to find. We might try to take the ferry to Yvoire, but chances are good that we will just wander around, go to the old town, the harbor, etc.

what did you like so much about Montreux?
Old Jun 4th, 2008, 05:59 AM

Butnotrmpt,

I just thought Montreux was such a beautiful setting on the lake. I was in such awe of the Swiss Alps, they were just right in your face. That day I took the 2 mile walk around the lake to the castle at Chillon (spelling??). Montreux is called the Swiss Riveria and it lived up to the name!!! From Montreux I took a cogwheel train up to Roche de Neyes which was a beautiful train ride through the alps looking at wild flowers, swiss chalets and then at the top there was snow and the views were so stunning. I have a picture of the castle I took on my desk and it looks like a picture post card. I took it with a cheap Kodak digital camera and it looks just like heaven. I wish I had the time to go to Interlaken, I heard it was heaven on earth there. Hopefully my friend will not move from Geneva and I can get back there soon. Would like to try some skiing!!! I am not an expert skier, but I know there are some mountains that are not all expert hills.