Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   what can a tourist do in Paris on Christmas? (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/what-can-a-tourist-do-in-paris-on-christmas-488213/)

Archece Nov 29th, 2004 04:35 AM

what can a tourist do in Paris on Christmas?

I will be in Paris on Christmas alone. Do you know any concerts, operas, or fun organisations to go? As some friends say, mostly everyewhere will be closed and no attractions to do on Christmas. It doesnt sound attractive to me;)
ce

GeoffHamer Nov 29th, 2004 04:55 AM

France makes less fuss about Christmas than most other European countries. The 25th is a public holiday, but the 26th is a normal day (in most years, people are back at work, but this year it's a Sunday). Even on the 25th, the metro will run and it will be much like a normal Sunday. French people celebrate the New Year much more than Christmas.

nonnafelice Nov 29th, 2004 05:56 AM

Check out:
http://www.metropoleparis.com/2004/946/946noel.html

Christina Nov 29th, 2004 06:04 AM

You should buy a weekly entertainment guide when you get in Paris, it will list all the things to do every day. They are available each Wed. for the next week at all news kiosques. There are several - Pariscope or Officiel des Spectacles are the ones I buy. Listings are in French but should be fairly understandable to most.

I doubt if there will be any major production like an opera on Christmas, but there are usually some concerts in churches in the late afternoon or evening. The Eiffel tower will probably be open, and there is usually activity around Hotel de Ville. You can find many listings of concerts or events on www.paris-touristoffice.com under events.

Kate2 Nov 29th, 2004 06:11 AM

Attend services at Notre Dame.
Take a Bateau Mouche.
Have a nice dinner.
Walk, Paris is beautiful whatever the holiday.

Leely Nov 29th, 2004 10:23 AM

Do a search on this forum for what's open Paris Christmas Day; someone posted exactly that information not that long ago. I know the Pompidou and the Jewish Musueum are open--we did that last year on Christmas.

Paris is wonderful for Christmas!

Archece Nov 29th, 2004 11:32 AM

thanks everyone for your advices cause my dream trip alone to Paris hadnt sound exciting after hearing about Christmas.
I found "Sara Baras Ballet Flamenco" at Theatres des Champs-Elysées. ANyone know anything about the show. Paris and Flamenco are not a perfect couple but still an option. Do I need to buy ticket before? Cause I will be in Paris on the 24th of December. It will be my first Christmas in Europe and I want to live all the joy.

Scarlett Nov 29th, 2004 02:57 PM

I know nothing about this particular show but Flamenco anywhere can be thrilling and fun to watch.
I would definitely try to see it.
As soon as you arrive, go to the St Chappelle and get their concert schedule, also St Suplice has organ recitals.
Since much of what we do in Paris is eat and walk, Christmas would not make that much difference to us :)
Friends of ours went last Christmas and will be going this, they did as much as we do when we go in November..so I think you are going to have a Great Christmas !

Archece Dec 1st, 2004 09:09 AM

so another question?
"What and where to eat, drink in Paris?"

SuzieC Dec 1st, 2004 09:22 AM

Archece? Are you staying in a hotel? As to a big dinner on Christmas Eve or Christmas Day, without any delay, I'd email/telephone the concierge and get recommendations...or plan on and reserve a more "ethnic" meal...Asian, Moroccan? In the Marais at a Jewish restaurant on Christmas Eve... you won't go hungry.. you WILL eat beautifully...
If you've rented an apartment, wouldn't that be a nice time to eat in?
I LOVE PARIS by myself, you'll have a wonderful time...(and yes, do check Metropoleparis.com for a calendar of events...or even meet up with them on Thursday at 3:00 if you're there...) I noticed that all sorts of things are listed...

Christina Dec 1st, 2004 10:43 AM

I have seen some flamenco as I like most types of dance, and have gotten more interested in Spanish and Latin music recently -- I agree that's not exactly what you think of for Paris or Christmas, but Sara Baras is a very wellknown flamenco artist and her company is very good. They are very popular in Europe so it will be a good show and that's a nice theater, so things could be worse than to go to that. Yes, I think you must buy that in advance.

I found a few other things that might be more what you were thinking of. First, the opera/ballet companies are doing a schedule every night during that period, I was surprised. They are doing the full ballet Sleeping Beauty at the Bastille opera house on Christmas eve, and I'd probably go to that. There is also some shorter ballet pieces, a varied program, at the Garnier on Christmas itself at 7:30 pm, as well as the opera Barber of Seville on Christmas Eve.

I'd also consider the light opera by Offenbach, La Vie Parisienne, at the Opera Comique as that is very French and has gotten good reviews. They have shows 12/22, 12/23, 12/26 and two on Christmas itself, afternoon and evening. www.opera-comique.com

SharonG Dec 1st, 2004 11:33 AM

Just make sure you book your tickets in advance for opera/ballet etc. I was there at Christmas a few years ago and everything was sold out a few days before. Also, check the Virgin Megastore. Found an ad for a wonderful concert on Christmas Day by a Russian choir on Il'l St. Louis.

miguelgcuadra Dec 1st, 2004 12:27 PM

If no luck with tickets...walk, walk and walk...Paris is the most beautiful city to walk....

gracejoan Dec 1st, 2004 12:30 PM

As suggested, pick up the local guide..it will be filled with things....I spent a Christmas Eve dining at Violon d'Ingres and Christmas Day(evening) dining at Les Ambassadeurs in the Crillon Hotel...the Christmas lights in Paris are fantastic..you can ice skae at Hotel de Ville!! You will enjoy!!

PalQ Dec 1st, 2004 02:07 PM

The most popular thing i saw in Paris during Christmas was the special displays at Galleries Lafayette and Au Printemps, Paris' 2 major department stores located next to each other by the Auber-Opera RER/metro stop. The display windows sport re-creations of scenes from fairy-tales with a Christmas touch. Even on Dec 26 a few years ago the windows were mobbed with Parisians looking at them - huge crowds; look inside the department stores to see their decorated huge domes over their main floors. The French celebrate Christmas on Christmas Eve, after returning from the traditional Christmas Eve midnight mass. Every family has a huge meal and then seems, in my experience, to sleep in very late the following day, with perhaps another small low-key meal in the afternoon. But as has been said Christmas Day itself is like another Sunday except everything except some restaurants and churches are closed.

jay Dec 1st, 2004 02:12 PM

If you are going to be there on Christmas Eve then be sure to go to the one of the masses at N.D. We ended going to the childrens mass which think is at 6:00. It is a pretty cool experience even if you aren't religious.

Archece Dec 8th, 2004 02:00 AM

Thank all for your nice relpies. I now believe that it will be a great Christams for me. Hope all of your will have great time.
ce