Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   What areas should we explore near Venice? (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/what-areas-should-we-explore-near-venice-783732/)

Pawleys May 9th, 2009 04:40 PM

What areas should we explore near Venice?

We're flying in and out of Venice to join a Classic Journey's walking tour of Croatia in early October. We have 3 days before the tour begins and could tack two or three days on the end of the trip to see something else in the area. Can anyone suggest interesting areas to explore? ( I've seen Venice before and will have one day there to do the basics with the tour group. I've also spent time in Lago Maggiore, Tuscany and Umbria and Rome.) We're considering Verona, Vincenza, etc. Would Lake Garda be a good choice?

basingstoke2 May 9th, 2009 05:36 PM

We spent 4 nights in Verona and found it to be a beautiful and interesting city. If you click on my name, you will find a recent trip report with more detail.

annw May 9th, 2009 05:41 PM

What about Padova?

I guess it depends on what you are looking for, how you want to use the time. Padova/Padua is a university town with the Scrovengni Chapel, with Giotto's frescoes, well worth seeing. It's about a half hour away by train.

Pawleys May 10th, 2009 02:24 AM

Thanks for your replies. I'm considering Padua, Verona on one end of the trip; but, since our airfare isn't set I was thinking about flying in or out of Milan and seeing Lake Como. Would 3 days be enough time to fly in, see Lake Como then get to Venice?

isabel May 10th, 2009 03:20 AM

I think 3 days would be fine. I only had two days in Lake como and still enjoyed it. I took the boat up (and back) from Como to Varenna so got to see the lake, and had one overnight in Varenna. Also had time to take the ferry over to Belagio.

On a different trip I spent a week in Padua and day tripped to Verona, Vicenza, Bologna, and Treviso. I really enjoyed Padua and Verona especially. My photos of the veneto are at www.pbase.com/annforcier/veneto_and_bologna. I also did a trip report, it was last summer. There are also Lake Como photos in a different gallery.

Pawleys May 10th, 2009 07:38 AM

Isbel, your photos of Padova are gorgeous. They really tempt me to do both areas, Lake Como and Padua. Where did you stay on Como and Padua?

basingstoke2 May 10th, 2009 09:59 AM

Wonderful photos. You have a fine eye.

isabel May 10th, 2009 04:54 PM

In Como I stayed in Varenna, at Hotel du Lac (www.albergodulac.com/). It's a four star and I'm more a 2-3 star traveler, but it was a good deal and I was only there one night. It was very nice.

In Padua I stayed at Hotel Al Santo. (www.alsanto.it/indexing.htm). This photo was taken from my room: www.pbase.com/annforcier/image/102059533 That view, and the sound of the bells ringing - it was wonderful. Great location for Padua, only it was on the other side of town from the train station which made it a little inconvenient for doing a lot of day trips, which I was doing. But there was a minibus that stopped right outside the hotel, and the tram was only about a five minute walk so that wasn't bad.

I would stay at both those hotels again.

Thank you basingstoke2