Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   What area(s) in Madrid best for moderate price, safety? (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/what-area-s-in-madrid-best-for-moderate-price-safety-972529/)

sarge56 Mar 30th, 2013 03:38 PM

What area(s) in Madrid best for moderate price, safety?

My friend's 21-yr-old daughter and a friend are going to Spain for the entire month of August. They told their mothers they were just buying plane tickets and going.. weren't going to book anything in advance.

Needless to say, moms were not amused and asked me to inquire.

If the girls book an apartment in Madrid, what areas should they stay away from or where should they concentrate their search?

thanks!

Pegontheroad Mar 30th, 2013 03:51 PM

Even in my most adventurous days, I would never travel to Europe without making a reservation for at least the first night.

I've never heard or read about any areas in Madrid that are really dangerous. Maybe I'm being naive, but I would just get a reservation anywhere in the center of town. Around the Puerta del Sol.

I know nothing about apartments. I always stay in a hotel.

WillTravel Mar 30th, 2013 04:01 PM

Much as I like planning in advance, I recognize lots of people do great winging it. For Spain in August, the cities will have emptied out to a large extent, and there will be great deals probably. I have heard *not* to stay in the Lavapies area. I think the area around Plaza Santa Ana is especially nice.

WillTravel Mar 30th, 2013 04:03 PM

I don't see that an apartment is a great choice here. Likely they will want to go to a bunch of places in Spain, and they will definitely want good air conditioning in their bedrooms. My feeling is that this is easier with a well-chosen budget hotel than it is with an apartment.

Cowboy1968 Mar 30th, 2013 04:13 PM

If they just need accomodation in Madrid for a few nights, i.e. less than a week, any hostal in the central part of town should do. If they want a bit more hipster environment than flamenco meets paella tourist traps, they could check out Chueca. There are quite many affordable hostals on C./ Hortaleza, which is a pedestrian street off Gran Vía. Always felt 100pct safe there, though as I am not a 20something girl my assessment is probably not too relevant.

lincasanova Mar 30th, 2013 04:49 PM

www.madridman.com has a good list of accommodations and personal reviews for Madrid.

weber6560 Mar 30th, 2013 05:50 PM

Madridman is amazing. He's been there forever and just keeps growing!

sarge56 Mar 30th, 2013 06:42 PM

thanks bunches! Appreciate the input!

WillTravel Mar 30th, 2013 10:29 PM

On s trip a few years ago to Madrid in August, I got an excellent deal through solmelia.com . Sign up for specials, and there are specials for other cities too. This was for a centrally-located hotel, and included breakfast. And the hotel had excellent air conditioning.

lincasanova Mar 31st, 2013 04:12 AM

Actually, I think he is physically in Columbus, Ohio.

Christina Mar 31st, 2013 04:16 AM

I wouldn't worry too much about central Madrid, I don't think Plaza Santa Ana is all that as much as is touted, besides, it will be more expensive there.

A month in Spain in August is an unusual plan. I agree that you might find it more difficult getting AC in apartments, or cheaper hotels.

lincasanova Mar 31st, 2013 07:39 AM

I thought they were traveling around Spain for a month IN August.

sarge56 Mar 31st, 2013 02:37 PM

Their plan is to spend the entire month of August, this year, in Spain.