What area of London to Stay in

Mar 14th, 2006, 11:22 AM
Original Poster

What area of London to Stay in

Having never been to London, I'm just totally confused about what area of London to stay in. I did book a room at the Hotel Russell for 63GBP, but I'm not sure about either the hotel or the area so I'm open to change. I'm willing to pay more for a better hotel or area.

Basically I need to be able to get to and from Waterloo 3 times and Heathrow once during 5 days. Along with that I'd like to see as many sites as possible. Like there to be something atmospheric or British about the area but not interested in fine dining or a lot of shopping.

I know Price Line will give me the best deal, but if I were to bid, I'm not sure what area to bid on aside from where the cheapest deals seem to come up.

I've found some reasonable sounding places in Earls Court and the Paddington area, but people seem to not like those areas.....so...any and all opinions welcome!
Mar 14th, 2006, 11:48 AM

I like the Mayfair area for its convenience, particularly close to the Green Park tube station, and I've had luck with:

www.lastminute.com

Mar 14th, 2006, 12:02 PM

Given how you've described your needs, I would suggest you consider staying in Westminster, or perhaps even in Southwark (near Waterloo itself.)

This is good website for both searching by location and for rates. You can check out their reviews plus reviews on Tripadvisor.

http://www.holidaycity.com/londonhotels/index.html
Mar 14th, 2006, 12:07 PM

Here's a more extensive list of hotels in Southwark. The area of London Bridge is too far over. You stick to hotels near Waterloo.

http://www.milesfaster.co.uk/postcod...don-hotels.htm

Mar 14th, 2006, 12:07 PM

If you need to get to Waterloo 3 times why not stay on that side of the river, i.e., the south side of the Thames - I'm sure someone on this forum knows the names of hotels handier to Waterloo than the Russell.
Mar 14th, 2006, 12:10 PM

Novotel waterloo
Mar 14th, 2006, 12:24 PM
Original Poster

Actually, I'm planning on arriving at Waterloo, then taking a day trip to Paris, and then departing Heathrow if that makes more sense.
Mar 14th, 2006, 12:27 PM

Actually, the Novotel Waterloo is not that close to Waterloo Station, if that is why EricoSmith is going to Waterloo three times. For that, Express by Holiday Inn might work best.
Mar 14th, 2006, 12:33 PM

If the British Museum, Covent Garden and the West End is a big part of your stay in London, I recommend keeping your reservation in Russell Square. If Westminster Abbey, the Tate, the London Eye, etc. is the bigger part of your plan, stick nearer to the Thames, on either bank, meaning either Westminster, Victoria or Southwark (Waterloo)
Mar 14th, 2006, 12:35 PM
MaureenB

An easy website to navigate is londontown.com, also. You can easily choose your price range and what type of lodging you want. Prices are good, too. They also offer services to hire ground transportation.

Mar 14th, 2006, 01:15 PM

The hotel you have now is fine. You can get anywhere easily by public transport and the Russell Square area is convenient to three different tube lines. Including the northern line direct from Tottenham Court Rd to Waterloo and the direct line to LHR from Russell Square or Holborn. So for convenience to both LHR and Waterloo, Russell Sq is about as good as anywhere.
Mar 14th, 2006, 01:18 PM

What time are you leaving for Paris & what tome do you get back - if it's the first or last train of the day you might have to get a taxi to & from Waterloo
Mar 18th, 2006, 01:10 PM
Original Poster

Ok, after a bit of research, I've come across a place called Sanctuary House which on the surface looks like it fits the bill. Only a bit more money and it gets better reviews. Any comments? Oh, and thanks for all the help so far!