Go Back  Fodor's Forum > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page > What are your favorites along Iceland's ring-road?
Notices

What are your favorites along Iceland's ring-road?

May 5th, 2012, 10:26 AM
Original Poster

What are your favorites along Iceland's ring-road?

My husband and I are getting a late start in planning our trip to Iceland this June. We have 11 days (leaving on the 12th day) and are planning on driving the number 1, ring road.

With our preliminary research, we are interested in the golden circle, Vik, Skaftafell, the glacier lagoon, Seydisfjordur, and Lake Myvatn (and the ice cave near there). We are interested in light hiking and photography, and will be renting a car and staying in hostels (self-catering). We are definitely budget travellers.

What we would like to know is...

What are your favorite activities, locations, places to stay (budget), experiences, natural spots to linger in/not miss, etc...? Are there any places that you would have liked to stay longer?

If we get an idea of others favorites, I think that making our specific vacation plans will be easier, especially because we are beginning planning so late.

Thanks for your input in advance!
May 5th, 2012, 11:47 AM

summertraveller - you are doing what we wished we'd done! we approached Iceland like we have other places, but being a unique place, it needs a unique approach. that is to say, many of the sights are very widely spaced, so it works far better to tour from one to the next, rather than having a base and making day trips, where you find yourself going back and forth over the same ground to get anywhere.

that said, the best place we went to will not be on your route - the western fjords. THey are absolutely stunning if you like birds and/or photography, but the journey there is very had work; you can cut the corner in one direction by getting the ferry that runs between the snaefellnes peninsular and the eastern end of the fjords, but you still have to drive around all the fjords to get to the western end where the cliffs and birds are.

otherwise, you have listed everything that i would have mentioned, I think. if you click on my screen name you can see my trip report, which might give you a few ideas.

Search this Thread