Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   What are your favorite Rome memories? (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/what-are-your-favorite-rome-memories-286753/)

MiteMsispe Feb 10th, 2003 08:07 AM

What are your favorite Rome memories?

Hi all,<BR> I am interested to hear about your favorite experiences while in Rome. A lovely out of the way piazza, a restaurant that you can't forget, or a place that was breathtaking.Thanks, Tim

bookchick Feb 10th, 2003 08:15 AM

The view from the very top of Castel Sant'Angelo as the sun was setting. Absolutely breathtaking, see the reflections on the Tiber, and the evening lights coming on the outside of Saint Peter's dome....<BR><BR>When I went last January, the Christmas nativity scene was still up in Saint Peter's Square, and that, too was great.<BR><BR>I'm returning next week, and hope to catch the view of Rome from the top of the Vittorio Emmanuelle, which re-opened to the public between my visits.<BR><BR>A restaurant I really enjoyed was the Bocca di Ripetta at 36 via di Ripetta. I was the only American there.<BR><BR>Buon Viaggio,<BR>BC

LJW17 Feb 10th, 2003 08:58 AM

Oh man...I could go on forever on this one! <BR><BR>1) Looking out over Rome from the top of St. Peters at sunset. Awesome!<BR><BR>2) Enjoying a limoncello while sitting at an outdoor cafe in Pantheon square, staring up at the illuminated Pantheon with the start filled sky beyond it.<BR><BR>3) Opening the huge window shutters of my hotel room to hear little Italian children running down the alley screaming in Italian...so cute!!!<BR><BR>4) Eating angel-hair Carbonara at &quot;Piazza Di Spagna,&quot; a great little restauarnt down an alley near via Condotti. The owner sat with us for dinner and inendated us with different wines and foods throughout the meal. Amazing!<BR><BR>Just a few, but God I wish I was back in Rome!

Judyrem Feb 10th, 2003 09:00 AM

Hi Pete, I agree with Bookchicks pick, lovely, lovely view. Also the Cuppolla above the Vatican, views to die for. But my all time fave is the Forum a night...a must see IMHO. Judy

Idnas71 Feb 10th, 2003 09:05 AM

Riding a bicycle on a Sunday afternoon along the Via Appia Antica. <BR><BR>Climbing to the top of the Pincio (above Piazza Poppolo(sp?)) on a Sunday morning.... seeing the many church steeples and domes throughout the city, and hearing the church bells ringing from many of them.

HowardR Feb 10th, 2003 09:11 AM

Nothing could match our arrival into the city...driving in cab passing the famous ancient sites....and realizing that we were really in Rome!

aj Feb 10th, 2003 09:13 AM

We just saw a travel show on Rome last night and I really wanted to be there again. I just loved the beautiful terra cotta colors of the buildings, the fountains and the warm May air. Oh yes, down almost every narrow street you could find a cafe and eat a great pizza! We can't wait to go back again! Enjoy your trip.

Natalia Feb 10th, 2003 09:30 AM

I love Roma! One of my personal memories that I enjoy is that of walking the path of Circus Maximus on a beautiful, blue-skied, puffy white clouded day. We watched a local man play catch with his black lab and we applauded the dog's skills, so the man came over and we sat on the grass and he told us some of the history of Circus Maximus. It is a lovely point of time frozen in my memory, of ancient Roma and a modern Roman.

Tango Feb 10th, 2003 09:38 AM

The first day of our honeymoon was spent in Rome and what I remember most is taking the cab from the airport and seeing so many palm trees. I never thought that Rome would have palm trees!

MiteMsispe Feb 10th, 2003 09:50 AM

These are fantastic responses folks. Keep them coming. Tim

LJW17 Feb 10th, 2003 09:55 AM

HowardR, I sooooo agree!!! When our taxi was taking us to our hotel in Old Rome and we were passing all the ancient sites it was overwhelming! I mean you think you are prepared for the treasures of Rome but you really aren't until they unfold in front of your eyes. Literally it's another world!

grandmere Feb 10th, 2003 09:59 AM

Watching a performance of Aida under the stars at Caracalla Baths years ago; performances are no longer held at CB b/c of potential damage to the historic site.

Lorac1127 Feb 10th, 2003 10:08 AM

My favorite memory of Rome is having breakfast on the rooftop of our hotel on a lovely Sunday morning. The view was spectacular but then...the best part...all of the churches began ringing their bells. Just mesmerizing and never to be forgotten.

Ursula Feb 10th, 2003 10:14 AM

<BR>Putting my hand into the Bocca della Verita - touristy, but fun -- and getting lost in Trastevere.

Grinisa Feb 10th, 2003 10:52 AM

On final approach into Fiumicino seeing the umbrella pines. Easter Sunday at noon when every bell in the city seems to be ringing. A simple dinner of baccala and Frascati eaten in the tiny Largo di Librari in front of the jewel box of a church, Santa Barbara.

Grandma Feb 10th, 2003 02:57 PM

We stayed once at the Forum Hotel across from.... the Forum! Had dinner at the hotel's roof rest. one nite and realized the lighted building across the way was Caesar's Senate. Also, after many years of trying.. finally visiting the Villa Borghese gallery.....<BR>Sitting in front of The Pantheon sipping wine, drinking cappucino....etc

newtonewyork Feb 10th, 2003 03:50 PM

Here I am trying to plan a trip to NY and I see the word Rome... Can you &quot;hear&quot; the love in everyone's voice as they speak? I have never seen or experienced anything as wonderfully complex as Rome. There are too many awesome experiences to begin. (more or less pick a favorite?) JUST DO IT! You will fall in love and like the rest of us... dream of going back. One story for you, we grabbed a cab one day and I tried to tell the driver where we were going. He kept shaking his head and saying no capice(spell?)He did not understand and I just kept saying it over and over in a different way. Finally I got out a map I had stuck in my purse and pointed. Of course he repeated it in perfect Italian. (shook his head at me) Smacks his head and says ma ma mia! I love the Italian people...it is my ethnic back ground.I am grateful to have had the opportunity to have met some very patient,kind and caring individuals! Just know it is the adventure of a life time. Oh yeah Villa Borghese ...tickets can be obtained over the internet and your in. It fills up quickly, so I'd advise the tickets in hand. It is worth the trip.

Barfly Feb 10th, 2003 03:56 PM

Easy! Proposing to Emma last year under the Trevi fountain. She said yes! And now we're going back in July as part of our honeymoon!<BR>Enjoy - I know I will.<BR>Ian<BR>

Melissa Feb 10th, 2003 06:18 PM

The first day my husband and I were in Rome(also OUR first day ever in Europe) we got horribly lost from where we wanted to go (Spanish Steps). Jet lagged, hungry and tired, we started bickering as we were walking and then we came across Quirinale hill and a view of Rome that took our breath away and shut us right up!<BR><BR>Turning the corner into St. Peters Square literally brought tears to my eyes. It was around 8am on a Wednesday morning before the Papal address, and very few people were there. Seeing the statues of the saints against the bluest of skies in the middle of the square with my husband is the picture that runs through my mind whenever I think of my trip to Italy. <BR><BR>Rome is just so beautiful. NewtownNewyork says it so well. There are just too many wonderful experiences to count!<BR>

jerryp Feb 10th, 2003 08:00 PM

<BR>I love Roma - I've been twice and I'm planning on going Dec `03. My most memorable moment was probably showing up for my scavi vaticano tour, only to bump into Kathleen Turner. She was on our tour. She was pretty nice, and very dramatic. We bumped into Andrea Bocelli a couple days before on Capri and Cipriani(sp) in Harrys a couple days later. Pretty exciting<BR><BR>jp