Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

What are your favorite restaurants in Italy???

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 13th, 1998, 12:10 PM
Monica

I'm looking to dine in typical, yet inexpensive Italian restaurants throughout Italy (Rome, Naples, Venice and Milan) and would love to hear your suggestions. Any special meals you enjoyed? We'll be in the Campo di Fiori area in Rome; on the Accademia side in Venice; and very close to the Duomo in Milan on Via Speronair. Thanks!

Old Mar 13th, 1998, 04:25 PM
Maira

Expect to be deeply dissapointed with the Italian food, specially in Rome. My husband and I never had a good meal while in Italy. If you want good Italian food, go to Little Italy in NYC.

Old Mar 13th, 1998, 04:43 PM
Barbara

Do yourself a favor and run to your nearest bookstore for a copy of Fred Plotkin's Italy for the Gourmet Traveler. He will steer you away from the overpriced and mediocre tourist traps to the places you might never find without his direction. We carried this 700 page book all through Italy for five weeks last spring and never had a bad meal. Not only does he review hundreds of restaurants in every price range, he gives days and hours they are open and example descriptions of the best dishes. The book also has information about regional specialties and food shops. I wouldn't travel without it. The previous reply obviously came from someone who experienced the tourist rip-off restaurants, which are prevalent in the big cities. Ask in restaurants for the regional specialties and you will taste the true Italian cuisine. Research pays off. Buon appetito!

Old Mar 14th, 1998, 06:24 AM
Monica

Barbara, thanks for your book suggestion. 700 pages! Hope the book isn't too heavy. I'll check it out today and buy it!

I travel every year and have traveled to Europe 5 times now in the past 8 years, this upcoming trip will be my 6th to Europe, 2nd to Italy.

I'm sorry that Maira didn't enjoy the Italian dining. My last trip, though it was back in 1990, was fabulous. I always look for typical Italian trattatoria's, ones without an English menu posted, and one filled with locals.

Ciao!

Old Mar 14th, 1998, 09:57 AM
Mauro Gaffuri

I suggest in Milan: Antica Trattoria della Pesa, Viale Pasubio 10, Ph. 02.6555741, $55, closed on Sunday. Osteria di Porta Volta, Via Montello 14, Ph. 02.3495039, $35, closed on Sunday. La Torre del Mangia, Via Procaccini 37, Ph. 02.33105587, $40, closed on Sunday evening and Monday. Osteria Il Giardinetto, Via Tortona 19, Ph. 02.58101720, $30, closed on Sunday. Centro Ittico (fish), Via F. Aporti 35, Ph. 02.26143774, $45, closed on Sunday and Monday. Alla Collina Pistoiese, Via Amedei 1, Ph. 02.86452179, $45, closed on friday. Osteria del Binari, Via Tortona 1, Ph. 02.89409428, $40, closed on Sunday. Il Girarrosto da Cesarina, Corso Venezia 31, Ph. 02.76000481, $40, closed on Saturday and Sunday midday.....

Old Mar 14th, 1998, 05:20 PM
Monica

Hi Mauro,

Thanks a lot for your information! I'll look them up.

Old Mar 16th, 1998, 06:20 AM
Mauro Gaffuri

In Venice try: Osteria Da Fiore, San Polo-calle del Scaleter 2202/A, Ph. 041.721308. Ristorante Ivo, San Marco-calle dei Fuseri 1809, Ph. 041.5205889. Not exactly inexpensive ($45) but good as in Little Italy, maybe more.

Old Mar 16th, 1998, 11:34 AM
Mauro Gaffuri

...and in Rome: Checchino dal 1887, Via Monte Testaccio 30, Ph. 06.5746318, $50, closed on Sunday evening and Monday. Sora Lella, Via di Ponte Quattro Capi 16, Ph. 06.6861601, $40, closed on Sunday. Costanza, Piazza del Paradiso 65, Ph. 06.6861717, $35, closed on Sunday. Osteria del Galletto, Piazza Farnese 109, Ph. 06.6861714, $30, closed on Sunday...

Old Mar 17th, 1998, 01:38 AM
joelle

Hello Monica, I just got back from Venice and can add some more addresses. Try L'Incontro, Campo Santa Margharita in the Dorsoduro area (nice Sardinian restaurant and moderate prices), Da Ignazio near San Polo, Fiaschetteria Toscana near Rialto bridge. Regarding Da Ivo and Da Fiore, may I say that both restaurants are highly famous and that prices are a lot more (for tourists ?) than 45 dollars per person. We went last week to Da Ivo. It was great as usual but prices went up heavily (plus 16 per cent service and cover charge). You have to reckon around 80 dollars per person for a complete meal with wine at Da Ivo. We tried to book at Da Fiore but it was apparently full all the time. Reservations are essential in Venice, sometimes almost a week in advance. Just e-mail for more details if you want.

Old Mar 17th, 1998, 05:41 AM
Monica

Thanks everyone for your suggestions!

Old Mar 23rd, 1998, 01:11 AM
Mauro Gaffuri

...ROME: Trattoria Da Bucatino, Via della Robbia Luca 84, Ph. 06/5746886...

Old Mar 23rd, 1998, 04:46 AM
Monica

Thanks again Mauro!

Old Mar 23rd, 1998, 02:00 PM
Cheryl

we've been to Italy several times, most recently last summer to Venice, florence and Rome. I can't imagine anyone not finding or enjoying good food there. Look for the little cafes and trattorias, you'll have excellent food and wine - very inexpensive. Some places are most costly though. Venice is very expensive, most places had high surcharge just to go into the restaurant. Also in Venice, most of the little places close early. But you will have a wonderful time and I know you'lllove the food.

Old Mar 24th, 1998, 08:40 AM
anabel

In Rome, Trattroia Vecchia Roma, close to the Campidoglio. The setting is magical and the food was very good. they have a whole menu of antipasti: exquisite. Firenze, we had an excellent meal in a little trattoria on the Oltrarno (side of the Pitti Palaca): Pandemonio. Another great meal! In Tuscany, if you are driving around: small town close to Montepulciano and Montalcino (great wines!) there is an unequal restaurant "La Chiusa": expensive but superb!

Good luck and Buon Appettito!

Old Mar 30th, 1998, 08:12 AM
Mauro

...ROME: Checco er Carettiere, Via Benedetta 10, Ph. 06.5800985, $45, closed on Sunday evening and Monday...

Old Apr 3rd, 1998, 04:25 PM
kam

I too can't imagine not having a good meal in Italy and preferring Little Italy in NYC????? If you're going to be in the North--buy a copy of Christina Baglivi's A Taste of Trattoria and follow her recommendations religiously. Remember, you don't HAVE to take the book---pick out the towns you will visit and photocopy the pages----I do lots of photocopies before trips, staple them neatly according to area and then we throw them out as we move on. Old issues of Gourmet and Bon Appetit are also great resources--go to the library and bring coins for the photocopy machines! Remember a travel diary so you can write down your original finds and bring them back to us!! Buon Appetito!!