Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

What are your favorite places to see in Croatia?

Feb 15th, 2018, 08:30 AM
Original Poster

Hello,
My hubby and I are planning a trip to Croatia in July, landing in Dubrovnik. Would love to know what fodorite's have found to be their favorite not to miss spots while we are there.
We love natural beauty, beaches, mountains, charming cities, culture, food..We are not into museums or being indoors for this trip. We've been hearing negative things about Split, but we're interested in visiting some of the islands from there. Any favorites? Any interior towns or villages we should see?

Thanks in advance for any recommendations!
Feb 15th, 2018, 08:36 AM

How many days, and do you return to Dubrovnik for departure?
My short list would include Korcula and Vis.
You don't have to spend time in Split to access its nearby islands, but I urge you to see it for yourself. It is a city and should not be compared to idyllic villages--I that that is where the reputation comes. It is also a transit hub with all that entails, but they have done a lot to improve the city, and Diocletian's Palace is amazing.
Feb 15th, 2018, 08:46 AM

Split and nearby Solin and Trogir are musts for people interested in European (Roman, Goth, Byzantine, Venitian) History, culture and architecture. For others it may just be a transport hub to more or less touristy Islands with more or less pebbly beaches.
Feb 15th, 2018, 10:31 AM

Plitvice Lakes are awesome and a must see in Croatia in my opinion although they are a little out of the way but well worth the trip.
I didn't really enjoy Split that much but it wasn't horrible by any means. Dubrovnik was excellent - loved it.
My family and I also did a cruise from Split to Dubrovnik and return and that was an amazing week. Our favourite islands being Hvar, Korcula and Mljet.

Either way, in summer, the Croatian coast and islands is one of the most beautiful places I have ever been. Enjoy.
Feb 15th, 2018, 05:41 PM
kja

Well, Split is my favorite city in Croatia -- but it doesn't sound like it fits particularly well with your interests.

The Plitvice Lakes National Park is, IMO, the single most un-missable of Croatia's many splendors. Not only are the lakes connected by travertine waterfall formations, each lake has unique microbiota, and as a result, the lakes are different colors. The best way to see that is to make a single, long loop through the park -- something on the order of 6 hours or more (including time for the boat that connects the lower and upper lakes), and by all means, start at the lowest part of the park so you are facing the falls as you proceed. BUT as Murph77 notes, its a bit out of the way if your focus is Dubrovnik and the Dalmatian islands.
Feb 15th, 2018, 07:16 PM

The Buza Bar in Dubrovnik.

Feb 15th, 2018, 07:43 PM

Tom for the win!

We also really enjoyed Plitvice Lakes National Park.
Feb 16th, 2018, 12:48 AM

I would describe my interests as similar to yours, and our favourite place by a mile was Dubrovnik. Our other highlights were Korcula and Hvar, and a day trip to Vis. Korcula is like a mini Dubrovnik so if you just did the two of them you would be missing out. We toured around a good bit but did not go as far as the Plitvice lakes, and the one town we were very underwhelmed by was Split.
Feb 16th, 2018, 02:50 AM

Well, our favorite place is our friend's near-beachfront home on Krk, but this probably is not of much help.

We have been to Lokrum Island as a day outing from Dubrovnik and thoroughly enjoyed it. We are not Game of Thrones fans, but there is plenty to enjoy regardless: trails, ruins; beaches and swimming holes; peacocks; and quite good dining options with fresh seafood.
Feb 16th, 2018, 07:01 AM
Original Poster

Thank you so much, this is exactly what I was looking for!
Feb 16th, 2018, 07:03 AM
Original Poster

And that bar looks insane! We are definitely putting that on our list and will look into the lakes. Thank you all SO much!
Feb 18th, 2018, 01:25 PM
Original Poster

LittleJane, we were trying to decide if we should stay on Hvar or Korcula, or both (2 nights each). Based on what you said about Korcula being similar to Dubrovnik it sounds like we should do Hvar over Korcula (and maybe a day trip there?). What do you think? Which town on Hvar did you stay? What did you think about Vis? I wanted to check it out, but upon researching, it looks like it will take a long time to get there as you have to go back to split and take a ferry from there because there is no ferry service from Hvar or Korcula that I saw...is that accurate?
Yorkshire, you said you like Korcula & Vis..did you go to Hvar as well?
We were concerned that Hvar is so big it might not feel "islandy". Also, while we like upscale which I know Hvar is compared to Korcula, I don't like to ritzy where it takes away from the authentic feeling of a place. For instance, I did not like Costa Smeralda on Sardenia because it was so built up, it almost felt like an outdoor mall in Florida to me and preferred some of the smaller more authentic towns. Not sure if Hvar is similar?
Feb 18th, 2018, 01:32 PM

I would steer clear of Hvar, Hvar town at least, in July. Check the Krilo catamaran schedule for summer--four days on Vis (with a scooter) would be nice.
Feb 18th, 2018, 02:03 PM
kja

FWIW, I've heard Korcula likened to Dubrovnik before, perhaps because they are both walled cities, but FWIW, I thought their differences far more compelling than their similarities. Dubrovnik has some extraordinary Renaissance architecture and abounding evidence of its one-time wealth. Korcula retains a much older architectural style and much more medieval feel.

I thought Hvar Town way too ritzy for my tastes even in off-season. JMO.
Feb 20th, 2018, 05:02 AM

We stayed in Hvar town, and really liked it - it is very ritzy but we spent a lot of time in the rest of Croatia so it was a nice contrast and we enjoyed wandering round looking at the swanky yachts in the harbour. We had some of our best meals in Hvar town. I wouldn't miss Korcula. I think the Hvar / Korcula / Dubrovnik combination was good, or if you think Hvar will be too ritzy for you, you could substitute it with Vis or with a town along the Croatian Riviera. Vis I just visited on a day trip, so it would have been on a day cruise rather than a scheduled boat. It was very nice and we looked at going back there another year for some part of our holiday, but concluded that it would be just too quiet. We took a ferry direct from Hvar to Korcula. All the best Jane
Feb 20th, 2018, 02:38 PM

Jes28--There is a catamaran between Vis and Hvar on Tuesdays, so that you do not have to go back to Split.
http://www.jadrolinija.hr/docs/defau...g.pdf?sfvrsn=2
Feb 25th, 2018, 03:29 PM
Original Poster

Thanks Digbydog, unfortunately we won't able to be there on a Tuesday so it sounds like we might have to skip Vis.
Based on all of your comments, I'm thinking maybe we will stay on Korcula and take a day trop to Hvar...