Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

What are your favorite European Countries to Visit -Our 1st Trip

Old Feb 9th, 2007, 11:04 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Althought we are seasoned travellers (from the US), especially in SE Asia, never have been to Europe. My husband, myself & another couple are visiting relatives in Ireland(Cork) & Belgium. Planning on flying Open Jaw (different dpt & arr cities)on miles & using Ryan Air which has one way flights to practicly every country in Europe. We limit our stays in big cities & love travelling off the beaten path (but not isolated) taking in the people & culture. We plan on staying about a month & want to keep costs low. We are very open to any suggestions.
Old Feb 9th, 2007, 11:35 AM

Since you are already doing Ireland and Belgium, which are northern Europe, I would do Italy and/or Spain and Portugal. Partly because they are different from the areas you are already going to, and partly because you say you want to keep costs low. Italy, and especially Spain and Portugal are much less expensive than some areas such as the UK and Scandinavia, Switzerland, etc. You don't say when you are going but unless it's mid summer and you are very heat intolerant then I would definitly stay south. France is my other "favorite" country, but it's more similiar to Belgium, and while there are plenty of rural areas, the outstanding highlight is obviously Paris and you say you want to limit stays in big cities.
Old Feb 9th, 2007, 11:56 AM
nbujic

France is NOT similar to
Belgium ( except for one of the two languages
spoken in Belgium)
Go to Paris and other reagons in France ( Provence, the Coast, Loire etc)

Old Feb 9th, 2007, 01:23 PM
ira

Hi R,

Your question is much too broad.

Now is the time to go to the library and get some guidebooks.

After you have a rough itinerary, you can bring it back here and we will help you improve it.

Old Feb 9th, 2007, 01:32 PM
MaureenB

When you envision Europe, what do you see? Start there, then search this forum and the destinations section of fodors.com to flesh out your plan.

You are fortunate to have so much time. What season will you be there? It makes a big difference, for weather and tourist populations.

We have loved Vienna, Prague, Paris, Nice, Amsterdam, and all of Italy. If you haven't been there, you must see Italy IMHO.
>-

Old Feb 9th, 2007, 03:38 PM
nbujic

also depends of the time of the year.
Summer can be uncomfortable in Italy and Spain.

Old Feb 9th, 2007, 07:59 PM
Original Poster

Thank you for all of your responses. We will be travelling during the month of June and after SE Asia, can tolerate heat. Spain, Portugal and Italy sound like great possibilities.