Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

What are your "can't miss" cities traveling from Frankfurt to Italy?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 28th, 2008, 02:25 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My DH and I are planning a trip to Europe Aug/Sep'09. It started off as 14-16 days in Italy but as many people do, my DH started looking at maps and seeing how close he'd be to other places he's heard about. I did the "8 counties in 14 days" ten years ago and I can't blame him for wanting to see it all.

So now plan B is flying to Frankfurt and making our way down to Italy through Switzerland and/or Austria. I'm now even trying to squeeze in Prague! We are aware this will not give us more than just a taste of it all and we'll be on the move all the time and that is fine with us. We figure it will give us an idea of where we want to stay longer next time.

We're still working out the logistics of car vs. trains or maybe a combo. I have read about some trains that go through the alps which sounds beautiful.

With our interests being history, beautiful scenery and great food how would you get from Frankfurt to Italy, where would you stop for a night or just stop for an afternoon? I'm reading posts about Romantic Road, castles, museums, WWII sites etc. and I am having trouble narrowing it down.

I appreciate any ideas.
Old Sep 28th, 2008, 02:42 PM
ira

HI BR,

> We figure it will give us an idea of where we want to stay longer next time.<

No it won't. You will just continue to do you 8 countries in 14 days forever,

UNLESS

you enroll in my 12 step program.

Steps 1-11: LESS IS MORE.

Step 12: Go back to plan A.

In two weeks, you can have a very enjoyable Venice-Florence-Rome experience.

If you just do Frankfurt-Prague-Salzburg-Munich-Venice-Florence-Rome, you will lose at least 3 days just being on the road, not to mention packing an unpacking.

You whole trip will be, at best, 2 nights in each city as you cover about 1300 miles by car.

Get with the program, NOW, before it is too late.

Old Sep 28th, 2008, 03:24 PM

I am a reformed speed traveler. I'm with ira (and most Fodorites) -- less is more.

I started to reply to this and my list of "can't miss" places got too long before I ever left Germany.

I suggest picking two countries - say Germany and Switzerland or Switzerland and Italy - you decide. Read some threads on this board, read "destinations" above, do some internet research and see what locations "speak" to you.

Consider distances when you pick. You don't want to spend all your time in a train or car. Then pick a region in each country. Then pick one or two major cities/towns in that region, for a maximum of four places to unpack suitcases. Remember, you can always do day trips.

Good luck and have fun!
Old Sep 28th, 2008, 04:04 PM

I also agree with the two previous postings.Fewer is better.

My suggestion: Since you will be sightseeing, I would recommend going by car. This, in my opinion, rules out Italy. It is very expensive to drop a car -which you picked up in Frankfurt - off in Italy.

A suggested route: Frankfurt - Wuerzburg. Make this your first "stop" for at least a couple of days. After visiting the city, take a day trip to Rothenburg.

Next drive to Prien at the Chiemsee lake. Again, make that your stop-over place. Visit the King Ludwig palace on an island in the lake, go by train for a day each to Munich and Salzburg, and take a day trip by car to Reit im Winkl, Berchtesgaden, on the Deutsche Alpenstrasse. (German Alpine Highway)

Then head via the Tegernsee, Achensee, Innsbruck to Mittenwald, as you next stopover, with a day trips to Garmisch-Fuessen

Head next - via Landeck (Austria) and the Silvretta Hochstrasse and Klausenpass - Andermatt - Altdorf to the Vierwaldstaetter See (Lake Lucerne), in Switzerland. Spend a few nights near Luzern, at the lake. I like Vitznau or Gersau, at the foot of the Rigi. Visit Luzern by boat and the Rigi by train.

Head to the Berner Oberland. Stay either in Lauterbrunnen or Grindelwald, and tour the mountains from there for a few days, by cable car and Jungfrau Train.

Drive back to Germany, probably Konstanz or Loerrach across the Swiss/German border where you can drop off your car, and take the train to the Frankfurt airport.

Between the places I mentioned thare are many scenic routings. Once you have made up your mind, I can help you with those.
Old Sep 28th, 2008, 04:10 PM

Resist the temptation. In 15 days you want a max of 5 destinations. And, you need to arrive and depart in the same country to avoid a monster drop charge. Tell him to plan 3 trips in advance now since you will return. BTW, try to avoid August.
Old Sep 28th, 2008, 04:54 PM
ira

>It is very expensive to drop a car -which you picked up in Frankfurt - off in Italy.<

Thanks, trep.

I forgot that.

Old Sep 28th, 2008, 05:19 PM
Original Poster

I know...I know.....I know! You're all right. And I just KNEW that was the response I would get.

I guess I feel that since I did it (and I have to tell you I loved it) it's not fair of me to discourage him from the experience if that is what he wants.

But to be honest, I was not at all interested in Germany until I read these posts. We chose Frankfurt because of the non-stop flight from Detroit on Lufthansa and the plan all along was to immediately head south through Austria or Switzerland to Italy.

Maybe Southern Germany, Austria or Switzerland and then just Venice? I stayed in Lucerne and loved it - I know DH would love it too.

Does that mean no Prague or Paris either? Boy - you realistic Fodorites really get tough!

Thanks - I do appreciate being set straight when need be.
Old Sep 28th, 2008, 05:23 PM
Original Poster

Oh...and Bob, our dates are tentatively set for arrival Friday August 28th leaving Saturday September 12th. Is that late enough in August? Just trying to incorporate the holiday weekend to pick up an extra vacation day.
Old Sep 28th, 2008, 11:05 PM

If you want Venice you could do Venice, Padova, Vicenza and Verona then you can head back to Austria or to Switzerland. The Veneto is a beautiful area, it's not just Venice.
Old Sep 29th, 2008, 12:46 AM

To go back to your original question, I would overnight in Zug. It's a beautiful little place. Praha is worth more than a day, if you're going east.
Old Sep 29th, 2008, 02:40 AM

Were you planning to fly out of Frankfurt, too? Adding in the return trip from Italy or Austria would obviously involve a lot of additional travel time.
You could consider doing part of the trip driving in southern Germany then take a train to Verona or Venice

I would definitely NOT try to "squeeze in" Prague on this trip
Old Sep 29th, 2008, 08:20 AM

OK--start and end in FRA and include these:
Rothenburg
Oberammergau
Salzburg area[ St. Gilgen]
Luzern
Lindau
Frankfurt
That is a full 15 days.