What are you shooting at?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 29th, 2006, 04:54 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have been amazed when I travel and I talk to people who are using a digital camera. I will often ask them what resolution that are shooting with and they don't understand the question.

I started shooting with 1 meg., then when to 2 meg and now I'm shooting at 3.2. The cards just keep getting cheaper.

What resolution are you shooting at?
Old Mar 29th, 2006, 04:58 AM

If you ask how many megapixels their camera is, they will know. And most people do shoot at the maximum resolution of their cameras.
Old Mar 29th, 2006, 05:05 AM

Why does this surprise you and why did it take you so long to get to your maximum resolution?
Old Mar 29th, 2006, 05:14 AM

"Why does this surprise you and why did it take you so long to get to your maximum resolution?"

Wally is saving his money by flying international airlines that don't charge for booze. Since that's only $5 a time, it takes a little while for him to save enough to buy his memory card.
Old Mar 29th, 2006, 05:18 AM

My camera is a 3.2M, and I shoot at the maximimum resolution. It allows me to print out beautiful, crisp photos at 8X10, which is as large as I've wanted to go so far. Eventually I may get ambitious and want to print larger, but no need yet
Old Mar 29th, 2006, 05:24 AM

I have an Olympus 5mpix camera, however I can afford to shoot most stuff on the 3/4 highest resolution as the pictures will not degrade at this level.

However if the picture is especially important I will up it to the top resolution.
The main reason for this is that the greater the resolution the more memory it uses up.
When your travelling this is an important consideration.

Muck
Old Mar 29th, 2006, 05:26 AM
Original Poster

Actually 1 meg seemed great at the time. Then I went to Africa and they wouldn't let me out of the van to pet and shoot the animals so I needed better resolution. Then I purchased a flat screen television to view the photos on and I wanted better resolution.

But to clarify what rkkwan said, if you fly British Airways, they have a full free bar in coach. If you fly on a U.S. airline, beer, wine and alcohol are $5 each. So, do the math, if American and British Airways both want $1,000 for a flight to London, and you have two drinks and a wine with dinner going and returning, the BA flight will actually be $30 cheaper!!! You're half way to purchasing another memory card!!
Old Mar 29th, 2006, 05:29 AM

My camera is a 5.1M and I shoot at maximum resolution so that I can crop and then restore the size even if only to print at 5X7.
Old Mar 29th, 2006, 05:40 AM
Original Poster

My camera only goes up to 3.2 but I figured I would wait until I drop it on the ground and ruin it before purchasing a new one. It's gotta happen soon.

A little trick I learned is that I can turn on the sound so that when I take a picture I can tell the camera what I took. When I get home and I can't remember what the photo is of, I can play the sound. Sometimes I get a little background music, too. Brings back memories of the trip.
Old Mar 29th, 2006, 05:52 AM
bellastarr

I shoot RAW format at 7mgs lately. (Camera is just 6 mo old). Has both manual and automatic controls. I need the images to be editable have layers.

I waited a very long time to switch to digital so all of you here have probably been shooting with digital much longer.

Old Mar 29th, 2006, 07:58 AM

Ooh wally, how does that work? What kind of camera do you have? I'd love to do that!
Old Mar 29th, 2006, 08:07 AM

I shoot my digital camera at medium resolution (it's an 8 megapixel), because if I use high resolution, it's very difficult to share the photos over the internet - I usually use Yahoo photos. My daughter on the other hand, who is a pro, always uses the highest resolution, but the downside for her is in order to share her photo with me (we live in different countries), she has to burn them to a CD or DVD and mail it, because the photos are too large to upload.
Old Mar 29th, 2006, 08:43 AM

Oh Wally, please tell us that you understand why they wouldn't let you out of the van to pet the animals in Africa!
Old Mar 29th, 2006, 08:48 AM

I shoot at my max pixels (6.1) but my compression is also very low, I have never shot on RAW as it takes up WAY too much space, though also gives the best quality pics. For what I shoot, I can easily make enlargements that are poster sized, with no loss of quality. If you shoot on RAW, you could have an enlargement the size of a wall easily. But for instance with my camera, If I put in a 1 gig card, (Nikon D100) at my compression rate and 6.1 I can take 560 some pics. If I shoot on RAW (zero compression) it drops to 8 pics per card. No kidding. The files are monsters. But the shots are gorgeous when blown up!
Old Mar 29th, 2006, 09:58 AM

Well Wally would have needed the special one handed camera if they would have let him pet those cute little lions and others
Old Mar 29th, 2006, 10:07 AM

Daisy, if the photos are uploaded to a PC it's very easy to compress them using, e.g., Adobe Photoshop Elements. Just save the photo using the "Save as" command and the software prompts you to select the file size you want.
Old Mar 29th, 2006, 10:26 AM

Neil, thanks for the helpful info re file sizes, I will send it on to my daughter too. With her living in another country, it will really help us to share our photos.
Old Mar 29th, 2006, 10:36 AM

Since many digital cameras now have wonderful features that mimic a convetional 35mm SLR asking what resolution someone is shooting at is a rather silly question.

I can change not only my resolution, and compression but I can mimic different types of film, duplicate filters such as polarizing, change the white balance, as well as install any number of effects in the camera as I shoot, not to mention what zoom am I'm using.

The new digitals have come a long way from how many megapixals have you got.
Old Mar 29th, 2006, 10:49 AM

There is a free tool from Microsoft that will resize large image files for emailing.You can resize one photo at a time or a whole folder of them.It will only make a copy of the original in the new reduced size and not alter the original.
For example it will take an original file size of 1.76MB and resize it to 35.2KB.
You will find the free tool here with a group of other free tools you might find useful.
http://tinyurl.com/2meyw
Old Mar 29th, 2006, 11:15 AM
Fairhope

My Brownie wont do any of the above!!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -