Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

What are you favorite guidebooks for SHOPPING (clothes, especially) in Italy?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 7th, 1999, 07:54 AM
Ben

Thank you.

Old Sep 7th, 1999, 08:06 AM
Valerie

There is a series of books by Susie Gershwin. The books are titled "Born to Shop Italy" or whatever the city or country. She does both. Also, are England, Paris, London, France etc. Inside they are categorized by type of shopping ie, clothing, housewares, linens etc. These books can be found in the travel book section.

Old Sep 7th, 1999, 10:45 AM
margaret

I have to disagree about Suzy Gershman's books--at least her "Born to Shop: Italy." I thought it was terrible. That book should be subtitled "A Handbook to the Bleedin' Obvious." If you need to be told to look for Armani, Versace, or Ferragamo in Italy, her book will be a big help. I had much better luck by using Fodor's shopping suggestions as a starting point, asking people I knew who'd been there ahead of me, and even surfing the 'Net. There was a great site on shopping in Rome: it was written by an English-speaking resident of Rome and it was very detailed (lots of info on clothing shops, too). I just wish I had Suzy's job....

Old Sep 7th, 1999, 11:14 AM
margaret

Here's that website I found useful: <BR>http://made-in-italy.com/shopping/shopping.htm. Hope this helps you some.

Old Sep 8th, 1999, 02:31 AM
rachel

I used the Timeout guide to Rome, found it very useful!