Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

What are the sites to see in Rhodes, Samos, and Kos?

Old Jul 9th, 2003, 05:07 AM
Original Poster

We are traveling with 19 people and are wondering what are the sites that are a "must see" in these places. What does Kos have to offer and how about Samos? I think in Rhodes we may just take the cruise tour in Rhodes and Lindos. Anyone done that tour before?
Old Jul 9th, 2003, 06:32 AM

Samos,what a fabulous destination!!

Where to stay? My favourite place is hotel Arion in Kokkari-www.arion-hotel.com - :excellent amenities,service,great food and splendid views of this picturesque village.

Do not miss the mountain villages of Vourliotes and Manolates.

On your way to Vourliotes stop at Pnaka springs for a cup of greek coffe and sweets.

In Manolates do not miss the restaurant of Filia! Heaven! al fresco luch with incredible views on the sea and the vineyards.

Beach culture: Tsamadou and Lemonakia near Kokkari, tsambou beach ,psilli ammos(sandy beach),and the secluded beaches of Seytani.
Marathokambos has ,as well splendid beaches with pleasant tavernas.

History:remember it is the birthplace of Pythagoras...you know....the triangle!Pythagorion is a clean ,pleasant yacht harbour.
Do not miss,near Pythagorion, a visit at Efpalinio ( antique water tunnel)and the Cave with its Monastry.

If you have the opportunity try to make a day trip to Patmos (from Pythagorion),a unique and very spiritual experience and a beautifull island).
Old Jul 9th, 2003, 12:39 PM

We did the cruise tour to Lindos and Old City Rhodes. The climb to the top of the site at Lindos is pretty tough if you have anyone with knee/leg problems. There are no railings to hold onto, and women have tablecloths and hand work spread out over part of the steps, but once you are up you will be delighted with the ruins and the view. We also went into a small jewelbox of a church in the town. They had a box of wraparound skirts for women in shorts or slacks to use.

In old city Rhodes, we walked down the Street of Knights and around other sites and had time on our own for exploring. We went through the museum, which was a nice one.
Old Jul 9th, 2003, 12:40 PM

P.S. And I agree about Patmos.
Old Jul 10th, 2003, 03:21 PM
bws

As Rhodes and Samos are each overnight ferry rides and are in opposite directions from Athens, I'd suggest you consider flying if you intend to do them both on the same trip.

My wife and I visited Samos for a week last year and had a bit of difficulty finding very much information on the island prior to our departure.
At one time the city of Pythagoros had over 60,000 people and there are Roman ruins all over the area. There is a Roman bath which was converted to a church which is now a ruin. This site is probably better than the Roman Bath at Ephesus.
What Samos needs is a good Marketing director as it has a lot to offer but it is a well kept secret.
One of the big reasons to visit Samos is, it is the jumping off point for the day tour to Turkey and Ephesus. The ruins at Ephesus are a must see for anyone interested in antiquities.

We stayed at Pythagoros which was much nicer than the main city. It is fairly small but has many sites to visit a pretty harbour and has a good beach about a kilometer out of town. There are several good hotels on the beach, probably better class than most in the town.
Old Jul 11th, 2003, 12:32 AM

Just for you info,

There is a ferry-line(Minoan Lines's Knossos) linking Rhodos/Kos/Patmos to Samos.