Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

What are the places in Glasgow which is suitable for my family trip

Old Mar 28th, 2023, 01:16 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am planning to travel to Glasgow in May with my wife and kids. We are planning to stay there for more than a week. Can someone please tell me what are the most attractive places in that area to visit with my family?. If there are any suggestions for cheap accommodations in that area is also be much appreciated.
Old Mar 28th, 2023, 04:25 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Why did you choose Glasgow? What are your interests? Suggest reading some guidebooks or start here: https://www.fodors.com/world/europe/scotland/glasgow

For my second trip to Glasgow start here: An eccentric trip around the UK
Old Mar 28th, 2023, 05:58 AM
Original Poster

Thank you. I am interested in visiting top tourist attracted places in that area.
Old Mar 28th, 2023, 06:01 AM

Any guidebook will have a list of the top tourist attractions right up front. Posters here tend to be more interested in less obvious sights.
Old Mar 28th, 2023, 06:09 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
nothing against Glasgow, Mrs Bilbo has a degree from there, but even today, post-industrial, it isn't the usual place to focus on. Do you have family connections or work requirements there?
Old Mar 28th, 2023, 06:17 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by MaxSamarasinghe
Thank you. I am interested in visiting top tourist attracted places in that area.
Please provide more details why you selected Glasgow: What attracted you to that city? Where are you traveling from? When Is the trip? What is you budget for Accommodation? And anything else you can provide

Glasgow is an interesting place, but planning to stay there for a full week's holiday without having any ideas what they wanted to see or do would be quite unusual.
Old Mar 28th, 2023, 09:23 AM
Original Poster

Thank you. I have some tasks to do in that place that are related to my business. But during that time, I will have some spare time to explore the nearby area with my family. So I am looking for places that are enjoyable for me and my family. But I haven't decided about the budget yet (Accommodation). So, in order to take a decision about the budget I need some cheaper options for accommodation in that area. I am planning to visit that place in the 4th week of May 2023 (Probably the 22nd of May).
Old Mar 28th, 2023, 09:31 AM

Define cheaper - your expensive may be my cheap - how much per night in GBP? Also, age of kids and how many rooms. Do you want to explore beyond the city, and if so car or public transport?
Old Mar 28th, 2023, 11:02 AM
Original Poster

I think for the whole stay around 800 GBP would be good for me with minimum 2 rooms. Since I have no idea about the current prices in that place, this can be changed. I just need some options to decide. No we will use the public transportation during our stay to minimize the cost. Childers are aged 4 and 6 years. Exploring beyond the city may depend on the spare time.
Old Mar 28th, 2023, 11:26 AM

£800 for two rooms for more than a week would be a very tall order. The children are very young so would obviously be staying in your room . . . so does that mean there are others traveling with you? How may people total?

You don't say exactly how many nights so just using 9 nights as an example - £800 / 9 nights/ 2 rooms equals £44 per room per night which. I honestly don't see how that is possible.
Old Mar 28th, 2023, 11:39 AM

Sounds like you need a family room. One room for two adults and two kids for a week starting May 22nd in the Premier Inn City Center Buchanon Galleries is 634.50 GBP. Ditto St Enoch Square is 524.50. But those rates are extremely changeable, if you want them you need to grab them. They are refundable, non-refundable is cheaper. Premier Inns are not fancy but have everything you need including on site food.
Old Mar 28th, 2023, 12:17 PM

I agree you need just one family room IF it is just two adults and the two young children. Is there a reason you said you need a "minimum 2 rooms" ?
Old Mar 29th, 2023, 09:44 AM
Original Poster

Originally Posted by janisj
I agree you need just one family room IF it is just two adults and the two young children. Is there a reason you said you need a "minimum 2 rooms" ?
Sorry, it should be a maximum of 2. I prefer 2 rooms. Only 4 people including my wife and 2 kids.
Old Mar 29th, 2023, 09:45 AM
Original Poster

Originally Posted by thursdaysd
Sounds like you need a family room. One room for two adults and two kids for a week starting May 22nd in the Premier Inn City Center Buchanon Galleries is 634.50 GBP. Ditto St Enoch Square is 524.50. But those rates are extremely changeable, if you want them you need to grab them. They are refundable, non-refundable is cheaper. Premier Inns are not fancy but have everything you need including on site food.
Thank you but I prefer 2 rooms.
Old Mar 29th, 2023, 10:30 AM

Sorry, it should be a maximum of 2. I prefer 2 rooms. Only 4 people including my wife and 2 kids.
Thank you but I prefer 2 rooms.
You aren't going to get 2 rooms for anywhere near that budget. I assume you and your wife would be splitting up and each rooming with one child -- because children that young are not allowed to have a room to themselves (unless of course, you booked a two room suite which you definitely would not get for the budget).
Old Mar 29th, 2023, 11:38 AM
Original Poster

Originally Posted by janisj
You aren't going to get 2 rooms for anywhere near that budget. I assume you and your wife would be splitting up and each rooming with one child -- because children that young are not allowed to have a room to themselves (unless of course, you booked a two room suite which you definitely would not get for the budget).
I gave the price range for you to get an idea. As I told you before I have no idea about the price ranges in this place. I am open to suggestions. And I think a two-room suite would be good for me. Are there any suggestions?
Old Mar 29th, 2023, 11:54 AM

You said you wanted cheap. Two room suites are rarely cheap. Pick one. And janisj is right, you can't stick two kids that age in a room by themselves, the Premier Inn, for instance, won't let you book that.
Old Mar 29th, 2023, 01:43 PM

I gave the price range for you to get an idea. As I told you before I have no idea about the price ranges in this place. I am open to suggestions. And I think a two-room suite would be good for me. Are there any suggestions?
Please remember that people here are trying to help you; we are not travel agents nor work for Fodors. People replying are trying to provide the best assistance within your limits/budget despite your vague answers to some questions

Perhaps a suggestion for you is to peruse websites like Booking.com and see what is available in your price range for your travel dates. Once you find some options you may be interested in, return and ask if the neighborhood of the accommodation fits your needs for your business and other interests while in Glasgow.
Old Mar 30th, 2023, 01:31 PM

I think a really nice area to stay is near the Kelvinbridge Subway station. It is an easygoing, pleasantly aspected neighborhood with B&Bs with character, and plenty of shops and food options (easy if the kids are hungry or you want excellent coffee). It is a short walk to through the university from there, and a couple Subway stops right into the center. The Glasgow Subway itself is a brilliant and beautiful historical device, and after riding it a visit to the Glasgow Museum of Transport (Riverside Museum) is totally fitting, and great for kids, and a short walk from the Partick subway stop.

Other things I think will be can't miss for the kids (and anybody) are a walk into the university to The Hunterian where the exhibits of groundbreaking medical research are vivid and gripping - - this is where medical understanding originally flourished, and although the displays are unflinching, they illustrate science and medical understanding at its very core. The Kelvingrove Museum, to my mind, is a bit of a hodge-podge, but there are many aspects that might be great for kids. I would add that the Scotland Street School Museum, designed by charles Rennie Mackintosh which is a short walk from the Shields Street subway stop, is an unmissable site, but it is sadly currently closed for refurbishment, though even a brief view of the exterior might be worthwhile.

If you are up for a field trip, then also very vivid would be a day's travel to New Lanark, where the kids can see where kids like them once lived at the mill, and worked in the mill, in a utopian-minded industrial community. It makes a great day with a forest walk in beautiful climes to see a well-designed presentation of what life was like then, with the intact mills, community school, factory grocery, living quarters and more: https://www.newlanark.org/

Edinburgh is an easy daytrip from Glasgow by train, as is Stirling; if the weather is super nice, a trip down to a traditional coastal getaway might make for a nice day out: https://www.timeout.com/glasgow/blog...ach-of-glasgow
Old Mar 31st, 2023, 03:56 AM

Glasgow is a great city to visit with your family, and there are plenty of attractions and activities to keep everyone entertained.
Here are some suggestions:
  1. Glasgow Science Centre - A fun and interactive science museum that's great for kids of all ages.
  2. Kelvingrove Art Gallery and Museum - A great place to explore art, culture, and history.
  3. Glasgow Botanic Gardens - A beautiful place to relax and enjoy nature with your family.
  4. Glasgow Cathedral - A stunning medieval cathedral that's well worth a visit.
  5. The Riverside Museum - A fascinating museum dedicated to the history of transport in Glasgow.
  6. Pollok Country Park - A great place for a family picnic or a walk in the park.
  7. The People's Palace and Winter Gardens - A museum dedicated to the history of Glasgow and its people.