Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

What are the "must sees" of the Ligurian Coast?

Old May 2nd, 2005, 02:15 PM
Original Poster

2 weeks and counting and I'll be in bella Italia! I don't want to miss anything...what are your favorite things to see on the Ligurian Coast? We'll be there a week and we have a car (which I hear can be both good and bad). We're staying outside of Genoa if that helps. Thanks!
Old May 2nd, 2005, 02:20 PM

We stayed in Monterosso and it is a fun place. DEFINATELY eat at Gambero Rosso in Vernazza. The best meal of our trip! The hike between the five CT towns is beautiful.
Old May 2nd, 2005, 02:59 PM

The Cinque Terre, the Portofino area and the Gulf of the Poets.

It's not advisable to do the Cinque Terre by car. Best is to drive (or train) to Levanto and get rid of your car, buy a Trenitalia Cinque Terre Card that is good for train & boat service between Levanto and La Spezia (incl. all the Cinque Terre towns, of course) AND hop-on-hop-off boat service between Riomaggiore and Monterosso. From the boat you have a fabulous view on the pretty towns.

For the Portofino area, you can easily drive to Rapallo (park the car) where you can take the ferry to Santa Margherita Ligure, Portofino and San Fruttuoso. The ferry harbour is in the centre of the promenade.

Lerici and Portovenere at the Golfo dei Poeti can easily be done by car.
Old May 2nd, 2005, 03:46 PM

One of our favorite spots was Portovenere. The views from the old church at the end of town are fantastic looking over the rocky coast. While I can't remember the name of the shop, on the main street through town there are several food shops and we got some of the most amazing pesto sauce. One of the "must eats" while you're in that area is pesto sauce, it's amazing.
Old May 2nd, 2005, 05:07 PM
PJK

Here is another vote for the Cinque Terre. We spent three days there, but even if you only want to give it one day, you could easily walk one of the long walks and one short one and train inbetween the other cities. There is one of the short walks that is closed right now. The views are magnifique. PJK
Old May 2nd, 2005, 08:09 PM

We really enjoyed Camogli - right next to Portfino. It was not touristy AT ALL. It was so beautiful. Our photos from there were some of the best on from our trip. It was about 1 1/4 hour train ride from Cinque Terre. I don't know how the drive is.
Old May 3rd, 2005, 11:41 AM

motor_city_girl, are you still out there? I've read that one should make a reservation for Gambero Rosso in Vernazza. Did you? How far in advance should I do it? An hour? A few days? A month?
Old May 3rd, 2005, 12:16 PM

If you really enjoy hiking, check out the Portofino Promontory National Park. There are hiking trails that wind through forests, small towns, and along the coast. It is much less crowded than the Cinque Terre trails, and just as scenic. Accessible only by foot or boat from Camogli or Portofino, the San Fruttuoso abbey is at the tip of the peninsula. You can take a quick tour of the abbey built by the Doria family and enjoy a refreshment at one of the small restaurants overlooking the small pebble beach there. Also accessible only by boat or foot is Punta Chiappa. Lunch at the Ristorante Spadin (exceelent) overlooks Camogli Bay. Since these places are nestled in the Park with no roads, it's even more remote, and less crowded than Cinque Terre. This is definitely off the beaten path, and I would recommend it if you inclined to enjoy places like that.
Old May 4th, 2005, 06:27 AM

We did NOT make reservations but we did eat lunch, not dinner. It was a full house by the time we left, so I don't know if we just got lucky.

I was told to make lunch reservations at Il Sette Consoli in Orvieto, which I did (a few days in advance) and we were the ONLY ones in the entire place.

I guess better to be safe than sorry. I think you will be okay calling a few days in advance.
Old May 4th, 2005, 06:39 AM

We spent two nights in CT last spring and ate at Gambera Rossa both nights--very good! We just stopped by about an hour before we wanted to have dinner but we did choose to eat fairly early. In fact, you will not see any late dining in CT. Have a wonderful trip!