What are the "must do's" in Corsica

Feb 6th, 2006, 09:55 AM
Original Poster

What are the "must do's" in Corsica

I'm planning to visit Corsica during the middle of June. I'm planning to spend four days, get a rental and drive around the island. Any suggestions? Planning to take the ferry from Nice.
Feb 20th, 2006, 07:25 PM

We visited Corsica in June 04 and had a great time. We took the ferry over as well but from Marseille. We rented a car and toured the island - we were there for 8 days. We really enjoyed visiting Bonifacio. Visited Bastia but can skip this city. The interior of Corsica is largely undeveloped and we took a day to drive from Corte through the Vallee de la Restonica to Ajaccio.
Feb 28th, 2006, 09:31 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for your report. Not much shows up on Corsica here. Thanks again.
Feb 28th, 2006, 11:06 AM

I was in Corsica over a year ago August and liked it a lot. I am a Napoleon scholar and had a reason to go, as it is the birthplace of Napoleon. I took the boat over from Livorno, Italy to Bastia, then a local bus down through the interior countryside to Ajaccio (the capital). I stayed in Ajaccio for 3 days and really enjoyed seeing Napoleon's ancestral home, the government offices and Napoleon memorabilia, the Foch library/art gallery, etc. There were several festivities planned as it was his birthday on August 15 and the entire island was celebrating with fireworks, parades, etc. It was quite fun to be there!

I assume that your boat from Nice will arrive in the north? then from there you can start in your rental car at the top (in Bastia) and drive around the eastern coast, down to Ajaccio, then up the western coast. The towns around the island are lovely to visit and the beaches are nice, albeit a bit rocky with lots of pebbles. I have quite a few Italian friends that go there during the summer and hike the mountains and trails in the interior. I liked both Bastia (more of an Italian influence) and Ajaccio, but was limited because did not have a rental car. Also, I found that both the food and the items for sale in the shops (clothing/shoes/souvenirs, etc) are all priced higher than comparable items in France and in Italy. This is due to the island's somewhat isolation, but just wanted you to be prepared to pay more for things than you would in Nice. Bon voyage!

Mar 2nd, 2006, 10:08 AM
Original Poster

Thanks Huitres
Mar 28th, 2006, 08:10 AM

We visited Corsica for our honeymoon and adored it. We liked Bonifacio - I would definitely take a boat trip to Archipel des Lavezzi for the day. There are great rock formations, beautiful lagoons where you can swim. We also did a day hike out of Bonifacio (just a couple of hours) which provided great views of the town. We stayed at the Hotel Genovese there, which is located in an old fort on the hill. We also enjoyed Le Maquis Hotel outside of Ajaccio - a beautiful small hotel with fabulous food and dining. Quite romantic. We stayed one night in Sartene, a smaller town between Ajaccio and Bonifacio. We stayed at a Le Domaine de Croccano, a small B & B. You can go horseback riding through the countryside with the owner. This was a bit terrifying at times, but it was still a great experience. We also did several days of hiking from Corte to Porto, but I'm not sure if you would have enough time to do that.
Mar 28th, 2006, 08:47 AM
Neopolitan

We took the boat from Nice to Bastia. We stayed two nights just north of there staying at Erbalunga at the wonderful small CastelBrando. We were able to tour the northern peninsula from there.
We then spend two nights at the Grand Hotel in Calvi. We drove down through the center and stayed three nights at Ajaccio, probably our favorite place (we were there over Bastille Day), and ended up at Bonifacio for two nights before going on to Sardinia.

The calanques between Calvi and Ajaccio are a MUST, including the little town of Porto.

With just four nights, I'd probably skip the east coast and take the ferry to Calvi, drive to Ajaccio (along the coast) and possibly Bonafacio.

May 5th, 2006, 04:50 PM

corsica is stunning. it depends on what kind of things you are into.Bonifacio is a must see, but my best places in corsica are the bavella needles, there are lots of easy walks from the auberge de bavella & Corte is lovely. also the beaches on the east coast are stunning - palombaggia, pinarellu, st cyprien etc.