Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   what are the great art museums? (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/what-are-the-great-art-museums-362944/)

scotlib May 16th, 2008 05:43 AM

what are the great art museums?

Hi,

What names come to mind when you think great art? Louvre, Uffizi, etc?

I guess I am thinking museums where you go to see art, not that that's all the museum may have in its collection.

I want to be sure that I am not missing any in a project for work. And if any should disagree on what makes "great" art, please, I am open to all suggestions and not wishing to upset any opinions.

Thanks!

Citylghts May 16th, 2008 05:50 AM

I'll add to the list with The Hermitage, The Vatican Museums, El Prado, Metropolitan in NYC, National Gallery(London) and British Museum

kenderina May 16th, 2008 06:04 AM

That's an almost philosophical question...what's art ? ;)

More than "great art", I would say "great museums" for the value of their collections regardless if they are only paintings, only sculptures or something else or a mix of it all. "Great art" is too subjective and not very clear about what kind of art you are talking about.

So maybe you should clarify a bit what your project for work is about.

scotlib May 16th, 2008 06:11 AM

hi kenderina, yes, defining art could take a lifetime and be so personal. I'm creating a page of links for the art teacher to have on our web site.

He'll have his favorites, but I was thinking it would be nice to present it with a question of "Is there anything to add?" vs. "What would you like?"

Many thanks!

kenderina May 16th, 2008 06:21 AM

ahh, ok ;)

Let's add a few museums then :

Gulbenkian Museum in Lisbon, Thyssen Collection in Madrid, Orsay Museum in Paris, Borghese Gallery in Rome, Reina Sofia in Madrid, MOMA in NYC, Kunthistoriches Museum in Vienna, Pergamon Museum in Berlin...

travelgourmet May 16th, 2008 06:23 AM

This is a pretty comprehensive list to start with:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Art_mus...le_art_museums

Obviously, I wouldn't place the Seattle Art Museum on the level of the Lourve, but if you worked down from this list, it would likely ensure you didn't miss anything.

yk May 16th, 2008 06:25 AM

National Gallery in London
Kunthistoriches Museum in Vienna
National Gallery of Art in Washington DC

Shanti May 16th, 2008 08:02 AM

Art Institute of Chicago

kayd May 16th, 2008 08:07 AM

The Rijksmuseum in Amsterdam and Mauritshuis in The Hague.

111op May 16th, 2008 08:08 AM

It's the Europe forum so no one will mention this, so I should. :-)

National Palace Museum in Taipei.

I think one problem with many of the museums on the tour circuit is their lack of a comprehensive collection. The Uffizi, for example, doesn't have much outside of Italian Renaissance art.

Robespierre May 16th, 2008 09:30 AM

The museum in Vienna is the <u>Kunst</u>historisches. <u>Kunt</u>historiches has a very different meaning.

PalenQ May 16th, 2008 10:32 AM

Tate Modern London, National Galleries, Windsor Castle and Queen's Portrait Gallery buckingham palace; the palace itself when open (aug-sep parts)

Orsay Museum and Louvre Paris

Van gogh and Rijksmuseum Amsterdam

Uffizi and Accademia Florence

Rome - Borghese, Vatican Museums

Berlin Pergammon

Madrid Prado and its annex

Munich Old and New Pinothek (sp?)

Dresden Albertina (?name?)

111op May 16th, 2008 10:40 AM

Albertina is in Vienna.

The famous Dresden museum is the Gemaeldegalerie (which just means pictures gallery). There's one with the same name in Berlin, which is also very good. The Dresden one is the one that houses the Sistine Madonna by Raphael.

Now that I'm looking over the list, it's surprising that there's been no mention of the Vatican Museums. Of course it ain't too shabby, with what -- the Sistine Chapel, the Laocoon and other classical sculptures and other stuff! :-)

111op May 16th, 2008 10:42 AM

ooops sorry -- PQ mentioned the Vatican Museums. I missed that. Sorry.

Giovanna May 16th, 2008 11:25 AM

Belvedere in Vienna Loved the Klimts)

Small, but enjoyed touring the Mucha Museum in Prague

Gina_07 May 16th, 2008 12:23 PM

I'll add some smaller ones that are very nice:

Museum Ludwig in Cologne
Rodin Museum in Paris
Picasso Museums in Barcelona and Paris
Dali Museum in Figueres

nolefan1 May 16th, 2008 12:47 PM

Well not really literally museums, but I would have to add:

The ceiling of the Sistene Chapel
Giotto's beautiful fresco's in the Arena Chapel in Padua
Da Vinci's Last Supper, Santa Maria della Grazi

I could go on and on. I love Cathedral art and consider them museums in their own right.

nolefan1 May 16th, 2008 12:52 PM

I see 111op liked the Sistene as well!

valtor May 16th, 2008 01:05 PM

To add some more:

Van Gogh museum in Amsterdam
Getty museum in Los Angeles
Orangerie in Paris
Marmotan in Paris
Carl Milles in Stockholm
Glyptoteck in Copenhagen
Vigeland park museum Oslo
Pushkin fine arts museum Moscow

jsmith May 16th, 2008 01:56 PM

The reference to the wikipedia museum listing by travelgourmet at 10:23AM is a great source for any traveller. Thank you.

I will add a few more. The first two are world class both for architecture and art.

Dallas --Nasher Sculpture Center - Wikipedia, the free encyclopediaOpen since October 2003, the Nasher Sculpture Center is home to one of the finest collections of modern and contemporary sculptures in the world. ...

Fort Worth --Modern Art Museum of Fort Worth, by Tadao Ando Although the Modern Art Museum of Fort Worth is the oldest museum in Texas, this new building only opened in December, 2002. It is in a kind of museum ...

Providence ---Rhode Island School of Design Museum - Wikipedia, the free ...Rhode Island School of Design Museum is a prominent art museum in Providence, Rhode Island affiliated with the well-known Rhode Island School of Design. ...

This group are all in the Amherst, Mass area and make for a full day of viewing. Anyone travelling with children would have a great visit at the Eric Carle.

The Eric Carle Museum of Picture Book Art is the first full-scale museum in this country devoted to national and international picture book art. It has a work/play area for children - my wife loved it

Smith College Museum of Art, Northhampton - With a world-famous collection spanning an impressive 4500 years, and a tradition since its inception of making its holdings available to students and the public.

Mead Art Museum at Amherst College The Mead Art Museum houses the art collection of Amherst College, over 16000 works, beginning with the Assyrian reliefs that were acquired by the College

Mount Holyoke College Art Museum (1876- ) in South Hadley, Massachusetts is located on the Mount Holyoke College campus and is a member of Museums10. ...