Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

What are the "Don't miss" places in Lisbon?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 3rd, 2001, 08:41 AM
Randy Hopkins

I'm going to Portugal this September. Any advice regarding the best places to visit in and around Lisbon would be appreciated. <BR>Thanks, Randy

Old Aug 3rd, 2001, 09:45 AM
ilene

In Lisbon I loved Belem. There you can see the Monestary of St. jerome (I can't remember if that is the name but it is the only massive monestary around), the tower of Belem and I also enjoyed the museum of nautical history. IT is just a beautiful spot, right on the river, very clean and pretty. Also near Lisbon definitely go to Sintra. The castles there are great and the setting, up in the hills, is wonderful. I would skip Cascais. It is just a very windy beach. I don't what the big fuss is. If you want to go for a bit of a drive, go to Obidos for the day. It is a medieval walled town. We had a great meal in the pousada there. Have fun!

Old Aug 3rd, 2001, 01:25 PM
Joao

In the Belem area, don't forget the Coach Museum. <BR> <BR>In the Expo98 area is worth a visit the Oceanarium (bigest Aquarium in Europe). <BR> <BR>If you enjoy night live, donīt forget a dinner in a fado club, listening to Fado performance. <BR> <BR>If you required more detailed information, you may mail me directly. <BR> <BR>Joao

Old Aug 3rd, 2001, 01:45 PM
Amy

I stayed in Sintra and went in to Lisbon--best of both worlds! In Lisbon, I too loved the Belem area with Jeronimos Monastery being top favorite. For orientation, I took the double decker hop-on, hop-off bus, which gave a nice overview. Get your Lisboa card first, and you save 50%. Fado is a great experience in Lisbon as well. Friends recommended the river boat tour along the Tagus. <BR>The Docks area is good for nightlife other than fado, which is mostly in the hilly Alfama. <BR>Sintra is lovely; up in the mountains are a number of sites including some of my favorites, the Castle of the Moors and the Capuchin Convent (monastery.) <BR>Ericeira is a nice beach/fishing town, not too far away, and the huge palace/convent of Mafra is close to Ericeira and quite interesting, I thought. <BR>Cabo da Roca (westernmost point of continental Europe) has great, windy cliff views. I went on a public bus, not with a tour--better ambiance for me! <BR>Of course, much depends on your particular interests, but I loved what Portugal has in the way of both landscapes and history. <BR>I'd be happy to try to answer any specific questions. Have a great trip!

Old Aug 3rd, 2001, 01:46 PM
Art

Hi Randy, I second the coach museum. It is supposed to have the best collection of horse drawn coaches in the world. <BR>Regards, <BR>Art <BR>

Old Aug 4th, 2001, 07:01 PM
Loretta

Dear Randy, <BR> <BR>Stay at the York House and <BR>don't miss the drop dead <BR>gorgeous blonde in bed next to you... <BR>

Old Aug 4th, 2001, 08:25 PM
BettyAnn

Take a ride through the Alfama area on trolley car #28. Great sights, tiny, crooked streets, steep hills. At one point, people had to push a car, parked too close to the track, out of the way so the trolley could get through. When you're ready to return to the city center, get off, cross the street, and get the trolley car going in the opposite direction. Biggest bang for the buck in Lisbon and the best part was that, I believe, we were the only tourists. We really enjoyed it. <BR> <BR>Also the Sat AM flea market in the Alfama. Great fun. Take a cab from your hotel. Taxis are cheap.