Notices

What are the best walking tours in Rome?

Old Mar 20th, 1999, 06:48 PM
Stephen

What are the best walking tours in Rome?

Hi, I have seen a couple of different walking tours offered in Rome. Does anyone have experience with any of the organized walking tour operators in Rome and are there any other suggestions? Thanks for the help. All replies will be treated as confidential . Thanks tons!

Old Mar 20th, 1999, 07:31 PM
Rod Hoots

I haven't been to Rome for many years but am researching for a trip in May. The best websites I've found are www.romeguide.it and www.twenj.com. A couple of my grown children were there two years ago, used the Michelin "Rome" guide, and said it was very good.

Old Aug 10th, 2001, 10:28 PM
Dave

Back to top--same question--

Anyone have some good suggestions for first timers who like to walk and see the sights. we have multiple days in Rome and would love to spend a couple walking.

Old Aug 11th, 2001, 02:13 AM
the turnip

We found a guide called Jasper who was actually from Belgium but living in Italy and was a history student. His tours were wonderful and very affordable. My wife and I highly recommend him. Here's his e-mail, [email protected]. We saw the Colluseum one day, and also had an all day tour of St. Peters and several of the Vatican museum highlites. One of the things I enjoyed most about his tours was the way even though he was seeing these things for the 200th time he was just as excited as we were. Especially in the Vatican museum, my wife who is not a big museum person, was swept along by his enthusiasm an obvious love for the treasures that were there.

And no this is NOT an advertisement. I have always appreciated the suggestions I got from this message board, so when we enjoyed his tours so much I thought that I should get his e-mail address so that other Fodorites could enjoy them too.

Cheers, the turnip

Old Aug 11th, 2001, 02:29 AM
JOdy

I don't know if you can still even get this book, but if it's still available it is one of the best self walking guides I've seen. I have lent it out so many times it's tattered and torn but everyone has loved it and added their comments to the various places.
ROMEWALKS Anya M Shetterly
It covers the city in just 4 walks,
1) The artisans and bourgeoisie- Around Piazza Navona

2) The empire, the church and the Jews- Around the Jewish Ghetto

3) Streets of the Papacy- around campo dei Fiori

4) A village within the city- The Island and Southern Tratevere

Old Aug 11th, 2001, 03:46 AM
arlene

We had a fabulous tour guide in Rome. Her name is Giulia Bernardini. She is An American Italian woman, and we loved her tours. I was there in April, and I have told many people about her. We are going back in Sept. and I am looking forward to my tours with Giulia. Her e-mail address is [email protected] Have fun, she is so great. arlene

Old Aug 11th, 2001, 09:37 AM
claire

Hi Stephen. We just returned from Italy on Wednesday. While in Rome, we took a half day walking tour of the Vatican (Museum, Sistina, St. Peter's) with Scala Reale. By signing on with them, we were also entitled to a 2 hour "orientation" walking tour. Both were very fine. The guides were knowledgeable and their enthusiasm for Rome was contagious. The Vatican tour was intended to be, and was, in depth. Group size is capped at six. I would highly recommend this outfit. They also helped us with dinner reservations, papal audience (general) tickets, and cultural event tickets before our arrival in Rome. They have current lodging info for those clients who want it, as well. http://www.scalareale.org (I think. Let me know if this doesn't work & I'll look it up!)

Old Aug 11th, 2001, 10:14 AM
deb

hi,
going to rome in october and have booked 3 walking tours with the highly recommended Scla Reale. They have been prompt with replies and helpful already with hotel recommendations..(and rescheduling a tour i had asked for then needed to change day)..I have also heard Peter Kilby gives excellent individual tours, although that would be pricier than scala reale

Old Aug 11th, 2001, 11:37 AM
kate

Has anyone taken the evening walk with Enjoy Rome? It sounds like it covers quite a bit in two hours. Do they actually stop at the sights or point them out and keep walking?

Old Aug 11th, 2001, 03:29 PM
Cathy

Kate,
Whilst in Rome some years ago with friends who were interested in getting a good overview of Rome and not detaild history we took an Enjoy Rome tour (Scala Reale were booked out) - it was the Ancient Rome tour and it was very good and enjoyable and we got to stop at all the major sites. Do remember that the Vatican offers free tours of St Peters leaving from the Tourist Office each day in front of St Peters,
Papal Audience tickets etc can be arranged at St Peters - ask the Swiss Guards to direct you to the correct office,

Cathy