Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

What are the best souvenirs to buy in London, Paris, Munich, Heidelburg, Prague, and Rothenburg

Search

What are the best souvenirs to buy in London, Paris, Munich, Heidelburg, Prague, and Rothenburg

Search this Thread

Old Jun 22nd, 2000, 12:06 PM
Kali

Hi, <BR><BR>I will be visiting London, Paris, Rothenburg, Heidelburg, Munich, and Prague. I have been doing a lot of reasearch and wondering what are the neatest souvenirs to bring back from these places. Any suggestion would be greatly appreciated! thank you! <BR><BR>Kali

Old Jun 22nd, 2000, 12:30 PM
amg

Kali, <BR> <BR>I buy Christmas ornaments everywhere I go. It started in Rothenburg, there is a great Christmas shop there. I try to buy a glass or gold ornament in each town I go to. Every year when I decorate my tree it reminds me of all the wonderful places I have been.

Old Jun 22nd, 2000, 03:06 PM
Art

I collected a few inexpensive prints and had them framed when I got home. So I look at my walls and remember. I used to buy little pins that I could put in my Bavarian hat, but never wear it. My walls are starting to get crowded so now I've switched to decorative plates that I hang on the wall.

Old Jun 22nd, 2000, 03:46 PM
elvira

For me, there are two types of souvenirs (and I love them both): the tourist souvenir and the souvenir that locals use. I try to find things that are lightweight and non-breakable. <BR> <BR>Tourist souvenirs: t-shirts, snowglobes, postcards, minature reproductions of monuments, key chains. These are found in all the tourist areas, and usually at the sites themselves. <BR> <BR>Souvenirs that locals use: food, kitchen gadgets, playing cards, calendars, tea towels, calendars, pens, stationery, cutlery, kitchen magnets. <BR> <BR>Take lots of photos. When you get home, have a favorite printed on a <BR>t-shirt or have a dozen made into a calendar. Have one blown up and framed. Have it printed on stationery or made into a Christmas card. <BR> <BR>If you collect something (like teacups) or have a passion for something (like fishing or handwork), look for items that are used by the locals. Examples: in Bayonne, I saw a store with fishing supplies that had lures and knives and you-name-it. I am fascinated by gargoyles, so I've bought statues of them in just about every place I've been. If you like to decorate, then magazines - even if you can't read a word - have great pictures of that country's interiors. If you like to do needle crafts, you can find printed scrims, gorgeous yarns and incredible threads. Like to sew? Buttons and beads, dress patterns, and wonderful trims. <BR> <BR>Or how about wearables? Socks, stockings, underwear, hair doodads, footwear (like sandals or slippers) and belts and scarves. <BR> <BR>Of course, you can go the Julia Child's route, and bring back a 50lb mortar and pestle bought in a French flea market..

Old Jun 22nd, 2000, 05:26 PM
Bob

Germany: Buy a walking stick and then buy the small shields from the towns you visit and nail to the stick like the Bavarians. Very inexpensive. <BR> <BR>We have also picked up posters that are a knock-off of the famous "A New Yorkers View of the World" where New York is the center of the world. We have one from Rothenburg, Passau, Bern, Innsbruck, and Heidelberg. All the same look, just different perspectives. <BR> <BR>Christmas ornaments are great. Small and easy to bring home.

Old Jun 22nd, 2000, 08:26 PM
Linda

In Prague, the nice items are crystal, garnets, garnet jewelry, & puppets. Agree with those who say Christmas ornaments. We got Spy prints in London & landscapes in Paris. In Munich, one of the heavy glass beer mugs. Of course, some of these are not easily carried so you need to either bring or buy extra luggage (I bought a nice very large gymbag type in Prague at the flea market--still use it). German chocolate is very good & enjoyed. Hummels are not as cheap as they used to be but nice for special people.

Old Jun 23rd, 2000, 05:21 AM
Debi

I've been to 3 of the cities you mentioned. In London, I bought some china that was created in England, 1 of those little pill boxes and - of course - some tea. In Paris, my favorite souvenirs were original watercolors we got from a street artist on a bridge near Notre Dame. In Munich, I got some great Christmas decorations (wooden) and a beautiful Nutcracker (Steinbach, I think) that I've never seen in the US. I also have a gold charm bracelet and I get a charm from every place we visit.

Old Jun 23rd, 2000, 05:29 AM
Jeff

Only you can decide what you want. However, I would suggest buying stuff you can proudly display, use, or use up. My experience is that cheap trinkets seem kind of cheesy upon your return home. Spend some money and buy fewer, but more respectable, prints or pottery/porcelain, instead of hoky tourist items. Also, photos are cheap and help you relive your trip better than any souvenir. Finally, I buy mundane toiletries such as toothpaste to remind me of journeys every morning!