Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

What are the best sights on the Trans Siberian Railway?

May 21st, 2011, 12:28 PM
Original Poster

I'm just asking out of curiosity because someday I'd love to take this journey. I'd like to stop and see interesting places along the way such as Lake Baikal for example. I'm not sure if I'd prefer to take the train to Vladivostok from Moscow and then a ferry to Japan or take a train to Beijing from Moscow.
May 23rd, 2011, 11:29 AM

You might find the guidebooks useful - both Lonely Planet and Trailblazer have guides to the various Trans-Sib routes. Hard to answer your question without knowing your interests. I did the Trans-Mongolian in 2004 - see http://wilhelmswords.com/rtw2004/index.html for my TR.
May 23rd, 2011, 01:21 PM

You might want to get a copy of Paul Theroux's "The Great Railway Bazaar" if you haven't already. It was written in the early 70s but much will still hold true I'd think.
May 23rd, 2011, 02:08 PM

Or Kapuscinski's Imperium -- awesome book. It's been about 70 years since his ride across Russia on the rails, so I'm thinking there have been significant changes . . .
May 23rd, 2011, 02:38 PM

Can't stand Theroux - always going to interesting places and then complaining, or making fun of his companions. And 70 years might just be a tad out of date, for the cities.

There's always this: http://www.google.ru/intl/ru/landing/transsib/en.html
May 23rd, 2011, 03:38 PM
Original Poster

thanks for your replies. i'll be sure and check those links out!
Sep 4th, 2012, 06:47 AM

I really enjoyed Eric Newbys Big Red Train Ride. Again its out of date but brilliantly written and I intend to re-read it which I don't often want to do with books. Ive done lots of research and have finally opted for the Moscow-Beijing route even tho I wanted initially to do the traditional Vladivostok thing. I'm going for 22 days in May 2012 if you're interested in going and having a travel companion?