Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   what are the best shoes to buy for sightseeing in europe ? (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/what-are-the-best-shoes-to-buy-for-sightseeing-in-europe-146127/)

sissy Jul 16th, 2001 09:50 PM

what are the best shoes to buy for sightseeing in europe ?

I hate to ask, but I have really bad feet and <BR>do not want my vacation ruined. Ecco shoes are so expensive and hard to find is there a comparable "pair"? Thanks for any suggestions

Myer Jul 17th, 2001 02:41 AM

I don't know if there is a womans' version of Scholl's but I have used them and been very happy. Very comfortable. <BR>

Ursula Jul 17th, 2001 02:47 AM

Myer hi! Yes, definitely, there are woman's versions of Scholl. They are *very* popular in Europe (Switzerland, Germany), but depending on your age, you might find them a bit "old-fashioned". I shall MAYBE wear them when I will be 80, but mot probably not. <BR> <BR>Sissy, just find yourself a pair of comfortable shoes. Do not take *new * ones for your trip! And take at least two different pairs, so that you can change. If you intend to buy shoes over here, make sure you walk around in the shop at bit. You can do that. But do not wear them right away the whole day. <BR>have a nice trip!

s.fowler Jul 17th, 2001 03:52 AM

Hey Ursula! <BR> <BR>You're getting good advice here -- two pairs -- well broken in. I wear easy spirits a lot which are less expensive -- but I have to say that my Ecco sandals get the most wear except in the deep of winter:)

Ursula Jul 17th, 2001 03:58 AM

Sally good morning! <BR> <BR>I see you follow me! ;-) <BR> <BR>

C Jul 17th, 2001 04:00 AM

I spent 10 weeks in Europe last spring and brought two pair of shoes. I loved my Aerosoles so much that I never wore my other pair and ended up sending them home. I got them on sale for $30; I still wear them today (a year later) because I love them so much, but they are pretty beat up now. Finally (yesterday, in fact), I brokedown and bought another pair for $40.

Mary Ann Jul 17th, 2001 04:26 AM

Hi Sissy <BR>A lot depends on your feet. When you consider how much you are spending to go to Europe and all the related, the cost of Ecco shoes (as a little insurance to help you enjoy) is not that bad for what you get. I have narrow feet, you may be more fortunate, and I have found the Ecco sandals are great. Unfortunately the only better shoe I found was Mephsito, which is even more expensive. There is also another brand, Munro and always Birkenstocks. Most of which are higher priced but again, people need because of specific foot needs (narrow, wide, high arches, flat, bunyons, etc). <BR>As said above, do not take new shoes and remember, all those cobblestone streets could be tough with any kind of heel. <BR>Keep in mind, some are cheaper in Europe. Birks in Germany, Mephisto in France, Ecco in Denmark (I think). So your itinerary may help. <BR> <BR>Good luck and happy feet. Oh and the Body Shop I think it is, does have a foot spray to help the feet at the end of the day.

claire Jul 17th, 2001 05:02 AM

Oh, aching feet can ruin the best day! I'm counting on some easy spirits I just bought when my old faithfuls fell apart two weeks before my trip. Guess I was unrealistically hoping....Anyway, got the ES lace up uglies and a pair of sandals. Ecco shoes have never appeared in my area, and my feet are too hard to fit for mail order. What is their appeal? Should I look for them in Italy/London?

Claudia Jul 17th, 2001 05:14 AM

Sissy, <BR> <BR>If you have bad feet, do not scrimp on the shoes you buy. There's nothing worse than having sore feet when you have a lot of walking to do. Make sure that the shoe is supportive. One of the nice things about the Eccos and Mephistos is that they are leather lined (which will help with "hot feet") and they have arch supports which will make your feet less tired. <BR> <BR>Don't forget to get some decent socks to wear (not with sandals, of course). They will make a huge difference too. I recommend the Thorlos, even thought they're expensive. You might be able to find them at Marshall's if you're lucky; otherwise go to a good camping or sports-type store.

SharonG Jul 17th, 2001 05:15 AM

I wore Finn Comfort shoes in Paris and had no trouble. My legs wore out before my feet. However, I did have my own orthotics in them which, although expensive, is the only way to do it and be sure your feet don't hurt. I'm not a podiatrist or anything like that but I've spent so much time with my feet hurting that now I feel like a PR woman for the glories of orthotics. Mephistos are about 1/2 price in France and are great. Of course, my

Myer Jul 17th, 2001 05:50 AM

Scholl's for 80 year ols. Ouch.

Karen Jul 17th, 2001 05:58 AM

Here's another vote for Aerosoles. I bought and tried several other much more expensive brands, but my black Aerosole sandals beat them all for comfort, while still looking good enough to wear with dresses and pants in cities. I wore them all over Italy and never had a problem with sore or tired feet. The only place they let me down was on the climb to the top of Vesuvius, where closed hiking shoes would have been the thing.

Jean Jul 17th, 2001 06:02 AM

When I was in Italy last month, I took 3 pairs of shoes: Clark's sandals (I paid about $40 on sale) Aerosoles loafer-type (I paid about $23 on sale), and tennies (yes, white tennies!). I never even put on the sneakers, because the Clark's and Aerosoles were so comfortable and looked so much better! I don't know anything about the Ecco's or other shoes mentioned here, but I would recommend the Clark's and Aerosoles. Whatever you decide to skimp on, don't let it be your shoes. <BR> <BR>One other suggestion: I had a pedicure (my first ever) a couple of days before my trip and I believe that actually helped get my feet in shape. (She did a very thorough job.) <BR> <BR>Have a great trip!

Jean Valjean Jul 17th, 2001 06:03 AM

About shoes: <BR> <BR>1. Well broken in. <BR>2. At least two pairs <BR>3. NEVER, EVER wear the same shoes on two consecutive days. This makes all the difference in the world.

Missie Jul 17th, 2001 06:20 AM

Second and third those who recommend spending the money, rotating pairs, and specifically Clarks and Eccos. Isn't it worth 50 cents/day if you wear them for at least 200 days (assuming you wear them at home as well as when traveling)? <BR> <BR>I dislike Aerosoles and don't think they help those whose feet are already bad -- too soft, you feel every pebble and brick. They're best for wearing for short periods (theater, etc.) after a long day of sightseeing in sturdier shoes. <BR> <BR>I've built up a small wardrobe of Clarks and Eccos over the last 3-4 years, and have found that once in a while you have to break in a pair (esp. sandals), so definitely wear them for a month or two before you travel. I've found both on substantial sale -- as much as 1/2 price-- by waiting for end-of-season sales or going to discount/outlet stores. <BR> <BR>Tell us where you live, and perhaps some Fodorite neighbors can suggest good sources.

Kathy Jul 17th, 2001 07:07 AM

Buy whatever brand is comfortable. Eccos do not feel great on my feet. I bought a pair of ES spa slip ons (I don't like oxfords) with slight platform sole & a bit of an elevated heel. They were made of stretch fabric. They were great - in fact, I wore them constantly after we got home and just bought another pair. Since I bought mine last year, I have seen identical shoes in all the travel gear catalogues.

JOdy Jul 17th, 2001 07:24 AM

I agree with kathy , buy what is comfortable for you. My husband always wears and swears by Rockport, I bought a pair and they hurt like hades, bought a pair of Bjorndal and they aren't much better, went out to look for easy spirit and ended up with a great pair of naturalizer, nubuck , like Mary Janes,great. Am still looking for another pair of something, else, did try clark mocassins and they are great but not much support for long walks, I must be the only person who finds sneakers or reeboks or whatever you call them uncomfortable, too heavy and too casual for cities , IMO. <BR>I know there is a pair of shoes out there with my name on it , it's just tking a lot of looking. Lave sandals but as we travel in Oct, Mov, or March they aren't really appropiate.

Oaktown Traveler Jul 17th, 2001 07:32 AM

Ecco Shoes...I have to say this: <BR> <BR>These shoes are SO awfully ugly and "clumpish" <BR>do any of you care about that? <BR>(women especially) <BR> <BR>Everyone is CERTAINLY free to wear what they want and the Good Lord knows this site can be a hot bed of travel fashion, style and policy central but, I just have to know: Do looks matter even a little bit? <BR> <BR>On another travel site I posted that these Ecco shoes would NEVER get my money as I could never imagine spending that kind of money on soemrthing so utterly unattractive. You would have sworn that I called someone's baby ugly. <BR> <BR>I just want to know if looks matter? <BR> <BR>Thanks, and I do not mean to offend anyone, seriously. <BR> <BR>My Best <BR> <BR>Oaktown

Liz Jul 17th, 2001 07:48 AM

Oaktown-yes looks do matter, but I'm a Katherine Hepburn type woman, not a Joan Collins type woman, so Eccos look good to me.

Carol Jul 17th, 2001 07:59 AM

Actually I bought a pair of Ecco shoes that the teenage girls I traveled with on my last trip were dying for! I thought that was funny since I bouth them for comfort. So I guess Fashion and comfort are compatible.