Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   What are some of the things you like to buy in Paris? (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/what-are-some-of-the-things-you-like-to-buy-in-paris-775216/)

ClaudiaBR Mar 26th, 2009 04:52 AM

What are some of the things you like to buy in Paris?

If you were in Paris for the first time and for just half a day, what would you buy to bring back home? In particular, things from Monoprix, or from some other favorite store. And by the way, what are some of your favorite stores? Thanks.

Guenmai Mar 26th, 2009 05:32 AM

There are several,quite long shopping threads, on this topic. Maybe they'll pop up by typing in, "Shopping in Paris". Happy Travels!

Cries_Van_Notebook Mar 26th, 2009 06:04 AM

Food Halls at Galleries Lafayette
Hediard in Place Madeleine
Maille Mustard in Place Madeleine
Deyrolle on Rue du Bac

Thin

StCirq Mar 26th, 2009 06:20 AM

Yes, typing in shopping Paris in the search box will get you hours of reading.

LaSalle61 Mar 26th, 2009 06:31 AM

I love to buy linens in Paris. There is a shop on the Ile St. Louis called SO FRENCH that has beautiful placemats, table runners, etc. Also a shop in the Marais, probably one of many in that district and less tourist oriented, that sells beautiful tablecloths, throws, guest towels, etc. Linens are easy to pack and they don't break. I also love ceramics from a small shop in St. Germaine. They don't ship so you either have to carry them home or take them to a pack and ship center. The duty free shop at the airport has a good selection of wine, cheeses, mustards and other French goodies. Happy shopping!

luvparee Mar 26th, 2009 07:46 AM

In my three trips to Paris, I have gone to "Catherine" on rue Castiglione just off rue de Rivoli. It is a duty free perfume shop and I stock up on what I've run out of and buy new perfumes that haven't hit the US yet. They speak great English and are a great help (plus you get lots of samples!).

You're only in Paris one-half day?!?!?!?!?

Enjoy!

joy/luvparee

ClaudiaBR Mar 26th, 2009 09:44 AM

Thank y'all for your comments!

ira Mar 26th, 2009 12:06 PM

Hi CBR,

>In particular, things from Monoprix,.....<

There is nothing special about Monprix. It is just a large store with everyday food and other household stuff.

((I))

taggie Mar 26th, 2009 12:08 PM

Ah, but Ira, the everyday household stuff can still be special.

I always like to get the basil-scented dish soap there.

ClaudiaBR Mar 26th, 2009 03:15 PM

Unfortunately, I'll have neither the time nor the money to go to any special places and buy special things. But I will be able to go to Monoprix and look around and buy simple and fun things - like the soap taggie mentioned, or Boujolais (sic?) cosmetics, or maybe just some jam or chocolate for my kids. And hopefully, when I truly get the chance to visit Paris, I'll be able to find some true treasures :-)

northie Mar 26th, 2009 03:19 PM

I always shop at Catherine,s as does luvparee. The attention to what suits me in makeup and perfume ideas can't be matched. Also stocks lovely French scarves.
Suggest at other stores as previous tablecloths, teatowels etc-anything in that field.

grandmere Mar 26th, 2009 07:33 PM

The cosmetic name is Bourjois.

ClaudiaBR Mar 27th, 2009 04:50 AM

Thanks, Grandmere. I can never remember the correct name.
Does anyone know until what time Catherine stays open during the week?
La Salle, do you remember the name of the ceramics shop you mentioned? And the location and maybe what time they close? I love ceramics too.

RJD Mar 27th, 2009 05:12 AM

We shop the street vendors in front of the Galeries Lafayette and Printemps. Rip offs maybe but good ties anyway.

tod Mar 27th, 2009 05:23 AM

ClaudiaBR - I heard one of your kids whisper "Bring us those scrumptuous macaroons PLEASE"!
They need not HAVE to be made by Laduree. There are lots of confectioners making them and they are all good! I'm sure you will find them in most pastry shops - I found them at the station tearoom!! Are you coming via Eurostar? Maybe Gare de Nord will have them somewhere -
Good luck with your gift choices, I'm sure everyone will be delighted with whatever you bring.

ClaudiaBR Mar 27th, 2009 06:52 AM

Tod, thanks for the tip. If other patisseries have macarons, I don't have to worry about having to go to Laduree! That's good news. Even better if I can find them at Gare du Nord. Does anyone know?

Bitter Mar 27th, 2009 06:58 AM

If you are only there for a half day, you will be too busy sightseeing (I would think) to do any real shopping. Just buy some stuff on the fly. What sites are you planning on seeing? Perhaps we can recommend some good places nearby.

waterdog Mar 27th, 2009 07:04 AM

If you are near St. Sulpice in the 6th, there are some shops that sell Santons nearby. They are small and are a nice reminder of France especially around the Christmas holidays.

ClaudiaBR Mar 27th, 2009 12:38 PM

This is what I have so far: I Arrive at 7PM at Gare du Nord, then take the metro to St. Germain des Pres and have dinner at a little place called Restaurant des Jardins de St. Germain on rue du Dragon - have you heard anything about it? It took me a month to decide on a place; I hope it's worth it. What else can I check out while I'm in that area? Then I go to Champs Elysees to buy macarons at Laduree (they close at 11 PM)- or maybe not, depending on whether I find them someplace else; then I take a picture of the Arc de Triomphe, then I would like to go to the Monoprix there (closes at midnight) to look around and buy simple things to bring back home like cosmetics, jams, chocolate, etc. Nothing hard core. I don't think I'll have time to go anywhere else. I checked out Catherine, which is somewhat close, but they close at 7 PM. And I don't think I can go there in the morning (they open at 9 AM) before I leave (I have to be back at Gare du Nord no later than 9:45 AM) because I want to go see the Eiffel Tower, but I was thinking about going to Trocadero to see it, then down to Pont D'Iena, not to the tower itself. That could be done really early, like 7:30 AM or so, then go to Catherine, but maybe I should see something else instead of spending the little time I have at a store. I also wanted to take buses back to the Gare so I could sight see at the same time. Any routes you would recommend? By the way, my hotel is located on Motte-Picquet and Grenelle, but I don't think there is anything very interesting to see there; however, I hope I can find a nice boulangerie/patisserie nearby.

Cries_Van_Notebook Mar 27th, 2009 07:30 PM

I don't know why you would bother to eat in the 6th if you aren't going to Monoprix or Laduree there.

You should go to Laduree and Monoprix on Champs, walk up and see the Arc, then take the Metro back to the 7th where your hotel is located. There are PLENTY of great restaurants near your hotel. Eat there and walk up to see the Eiffel Tower all lit up. It is just a short walk away.

Thin