Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

What are some "must do" activities for short stay in Santorini?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 4th, 2011, 04:43 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are 4 adults (one mid-twenties couple, one middle aged couple) staying in Oia for 3 nights in mid September. (We have arrived from Crete and next stop is Athens & Delphi). We want to have an active, interesting and yet relaxing time. We would like to see Oia, go to the beach and some other yet to be decided must dos. We are not planning on the caldera boat trip, due to one person gets very seasick. I would appreciate recommendations for any cultural/historic things to do. thanks!
Old Sep 4th, 2011, 09:02 AM

Visit the archaeological site of Ancient Thera on the mountain above Kamari Beach. Go to the Museum of Prehistoric Thera in Fira on the main road below the Atlantis Hotel. Visit some of the wineries to sample the local wines. Have lunch on the wharf below Oia at Amoudi Bay.
Old Sep 7th, 2011, 07:30 PM

What about Akrotiri? Is it open?
Old Sep 7th, 2011, 07:41 PM

Received 22 Likes on 4 Posts
Amoudi Bay was our favorite spot there.. The beaches on Santorini are not as good as the other islands so I wouldn't waste your time by visiting them..
Old Sep 7th, 2011, 08:18 PM

Akrotiri is NOT open.
Old Sep 8th, 2011, 02:30 AM

Brotherleelove,
What's your opinion of Pyrgos? That seems to be another recommendation that's often given for a day trip. Can it be combined easily with visiting the Ancient Thira site if we have a car?

Are the beaches unique and worth seeing (color of sand, beauty of location?) or, as HappyTrvlr says, not really worth spending time at? I'm not really a "hang out at the beach person" but I do love dipping my toes and admiring the beauty of a place.
Old Sep 8th, 2011, 09:59 AM

We've only been to Santorini once but it made a big impression on us. We loved the beaches esp the red sand beach near Akrotiri, it reminded us of some beaches in Maui (actually the red sand beach in Maui near Hana but with easier access). Kamari is good for swimming and the best we thought was by Amoudi past the restaurants - steps down into the clear sea. Ok it's not a beach but the sea was lovely for swimming. We spent 4 nights and visited as much as possible as the island is small, if you have a car you can do as you like. Pyrgos is worth a visit as its high up and you can get good views plus has some nice eateries eg Kallisti Taverna which was recommended here and is indeed a nice spot for lunch.

Kamari and Ancient Thira are close to each other.
Old Sep 8th, 2011, 05:03 PM
Original Poster

thanks everyone. We will rent a car. We depart next Friday. One week to Greece! I remember when I started planning this trip in Jan/Feb 2011 I was overwhelmed with information and choices. So much culture and history (and so little time). Greece is BIG! Over time by reading posts and with the help of travelers and experts who respond to questions, we pulled a plan together - Crete, Santorini and Athens/Delphi. We are looking forward to our vacation. Kathy
Old Sep 8th, 2011, 08:07 PM

I suppose Pyrgos is interesting if you want to stroll through a traditional village without all the touristy shops. I do agree that the views are good there. Think about having a meal at the Taverna Kallisti. It's excellent.
Old Sep 9th, 2011, 02:16 AM

Hi, Kathy,
We're leaving next Thursday! I began planning this trip almost 2 years ago, although "officially" started planning it last fall sometime, and I know how overwhelming it can be. Many thanks for your questions as well, as they often have paralleled mine.

We will be in Crete, Santorini, Naxos, and Athens/Delphi - can't wait!

BLL - thanks for the feedback on Pyrgos. A non-touristy village with good views and good taverna sounds ok by me!

Paule
Old Sep 9th, 2011, 03:44 AM

well speaking about Pyrgos and food, here are twp recommendations :

Restaurant Selene in Pyrgos, one of Greece's best restaurants with many awards for it's greek kitchen, and a chef ( Konstantina Faklari) voted chef of the year in 2009...

http://www.selene.gr

I also recommend taverna Psaraki in Vlychada with great view and a great chef, who was previously chef of 1800 in Oia...

http://www.topsaraki.gr

In both resraurants you can try greek kitchen at it's best, away from touristy food !!!