Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   What are some good restaurants in Paris for $50 for two people? (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/what-are-some-good-restaurants-in-paris-for-50-for-two-people-258988/)

maryann Sep 18th, 2002 04:48 AM

What are some good restaurants in Paris for $50 for two people?

I am looking for descent restaurants in Paris to dine for about $50 for two people.<BR>If it helps we will be staying close to the Eiffel Tower (Derby Alma hotel).<BR><BR>Thanks for your advice

Gretchen Sep 18th, 2002 06:38 AM

These are mostly about $30/, some less. All very good.<BR><BR>La Fontaine de Mars -129 rue St. Dominique 7eme Metro Ecole Militaire<BR> Husband had cassoulet--I had foie gras (TDF!!)<BR><BR>Brasserie de l’Ile Saint Louis --just behind Notre Dame across the bridge to the island. Can order house<BR>wine by the bottle and be charged for just what you drink. Their onion tart looked sensational. <BR><BR>Chez Papa - rue de l’Arcade (and other locations). Recommended on a board by a frequent Paris visitor. <BR>Specializes in Sud Ouest food, cassoulet.<BR><BR>Cote Seine - 45 Quai des Grand Augustins, near Notre Dame. Good solid French fare.<BR><BR>La Samarataine Department Store - 19 rud de lo Monnaie. If the roof is open go for a stunning view of<BR>Paris. There is a little cafe there for a bite. A nice restaurant - La Toupary-on the5th floor.<BR><BR>Les Olivades - 41 Av. Segur 7eme -Metro Ecole Militaire -Provencal food. Good--service a bit slow but it<BR>is well rated.<BR><BR>La Coupole - 102 Blvd. Montparnasse 14th - we went for lunch and had our best cassoulet (so far!). <BR>Beautiful art deco room. Popular with businessmen.<BR><BR>Au Pied de Cochon 6 rue Coquilliere 1er - Near Les Halles and St. Eustache. THE best onion soup!!<BR><BR>Le Vieux Bistro - across from the side of Notre Dame. Recommended by a knowledgeable friend.<BR><BR>La Florimond--19 av. de la Motte-Picquet 7eme Metro Ecole Militaire. Maybe our favorite. The owner chef<BR>came to our table to explain all the dishes. <BR><BR>Le Clos des Gourmets - 16 av. Rapp 7eme Metro Alma-Marceau In the shadow of the Eiffel Tower. <BR>Excellent prix fixe at 175FF (~25Euro).<BR><BR>For mussels--There are of course lots of places to have them--husband had some at Brasserie Balzar<BR>49 rue des Ecoles near the Sorbonne. Our favorite place to go for mussels however is across from the Gare<BR>du Nord--there are 4 or 5 restaurants there that serve them--Also these are open 24 hours because of the<BR>station and are good for an early dinner. There is also a chain of restaurants --Leon de Bruxelles - that<BR>specialize in mussels but they have little charm to them (but good mussels)<BR><BR>

Sue Sep 18th, 2002 07:46 AM

Auberge de la Reine Blanche on the Ile St. Louis; intimate little restaurant with good "homey" cooking. www.aubergedelareineblanche.com

maryann Sep 18th, 2002 07:48 AM

thanks !!

kate Sep 18th, 2002 07:49 AM

Le Petit St Benoit on rue St Benoit, Left bank, off of the Blvd St Germain<BR>neighborhood restaurant, very friendly, very good French "home cooking"<BR>

sandi Sep 18th, 2002 09:23 AM

Sue, I get an error wen trying to access the link you provided. Are you sure that's correct?

Walter Sep 18th, 2002 09:43 AM

Jack is a regular and a *very* informative poster on rec.travel.europe esp about Paris & France. He just posted his updated website about Paris restaurants, I haven't looked at it, I'm just passing it on:). Regards, Walter<BR>http://www.jack-travel.com/Paris/Par...nd_Cuisine.htm www.jack-travel.com

Sue Sep 18th, 2002 03:49 PM

Sandi, you're right; that address is not doing it. I'm not sure what is wrong; I looked it up on Google to make certain I hadn't made a mistake.<BR><BR>I ate there first in 1989, and then checked it out online last spring to see if it was still around. I had dinner there May, '02, and it was alive and thriving!<BR><BR>If you're still interested, you could call when you get to Paris; phone # is on Google. It's just a cute little place with traditional, reasonable food, and the ambience is pleasant. The walls are decorated with vintage miniature furniture.

Paula Sep 18th, 2002 04:36 PM

I'd recommend Le Grand Cafe at 4 boulevard des Capucines near the old Opera house. The food is wonderful (and maybe just a little more than $50 for 2...I think the all inclusive menu was 27E), and the place is amazing--all stained glass (even the ceilings). They prepare the food at the table, and when I complimented the chef in my very limited French, he kept bringing us free deserts!

nancy Sep 18th, 2002 04:47 PM

I really liked Cafe du Marche on rue Cler and the cost ran around $16 per person with a bottle of house wine. The food was always good and I like the location for people watching. It's just a small (and crowded after 7:30 - at least it was in May) outdoor cafe. Defintely not fancy. If the weather is rainy they drop a plastic covering down the side.<BR><BR>Le Bistro du 7eme on La Tour-Maubourg we came across and sat at a table just inside (open window; sidewalk tables had already been reserved). Very good food and I'm sure we didn't spend more than $20 or so each.

Mike Sep 18th, 2002 05:41 PM

The web site http://www.aubergedelareineblanche.com/ is a good one. Their server must be down. It is on the Ile of St. Louis on Rue St Louis. Haven't been there, but have perused their menu. We will stop by in February and have dinner there.

top Sep 22nd, 2002 03:41 AM

ttt

Patrick Sep 22nd, 2002 07:17 AM

Have been going to Reine Blanche on Ile St. Louis every visit for years and love the place. But what used to be a fixed price of about $15.00 US, is now 30 Euro per person. Just had dinner there two weeks ago. With our wine and tip it was 89 Euro, frankly still a bargain for how good it is, but just wanted to let you know.<BR><BR>Along Rue St. Severin and several other streets just off Place St. Michel we counted over 100 restaurants in a three block area (can you tell we were a little bored after dinner one night?) They are virtually all very inexpensive, a number of them Greek and other ethnic restaurants, and some from various regions of France. Some may be real tourist traps, but most are actually quite good for the money. Each trip we seem to eat in one of the smallest ones on St. Severin, called Demi Lune. It is about 6 tables downstairs and another 6 or so on a mezzanine. Their menu with lots of traditional choices is 15 Euro per person. Our two meals: Ravioli with artichoke hearts, filet mignon of pork with roquefort sauce and pommes frites, and chocolate mouse. I had a green salad with gizzards (OK, I love it) with about a dozen gizzards, filet of beef with mushrooms and dauphine potatoes, and a cheese plate. With one of the most expensive wines they offer -- a 1997 St. Emilion, our total bill with a little extra tip was 51 Euro. Everything was delicious!

Sue Sep 22nd, 2002 08:35 AM

www.aubergedelareineblanche.com is up and running again.

marianne Sep 22nd, 2002 03:56 PM

L'epi Dupin in the sixth is a great value as is leon de bruxelles (for mussels) in the sixth. Also, eating lunch at the museums is fun and a pretty good value also.<BR>

top Sep 22nd, 2002 05:16 PM

i like this subject !

Monica Sep 22nd, 2002 06:34 PM

Here are some restaurants that my cousin and I really enjoyed (from my web page http://www.luvtotravel.homestead.com/home.html) <BR><BR>CREMERIE RESTAURANT POLIDOR<BR>41, rue Monsieur-Le-Prince<BR>75006 Paris<BR>Phone: 01 43 26 95 34<BR>This restaurant is around the corner from our hotel, Grand Hotel des Balcons. We got there early, around 7:30pm, but the place was pretty filled by then. Our waitress was very friendly, unlike my last visit. Most of the diners seem to be locals with tourists mixed in. We both had their excellent foie gras (6E supplement and well worth it); pork with curry sauce (I had this the last time I was here - it was so good) and rice; strawberry sorbet for dessert. Red wine (8E). 56E/$51.38. <BR><BR><BR>LE BISTROT DE BRETEUIL<BR>3, Place de Breteuil, Paris<BR>Phone: 01-45-67-07-27<BR>We enjoyed a wonderful meal here. This was my 3rd visit to Breteuil and will keep this on the top of my list of best restaurants. We met Tammy and her mother Alice dinner one evening. Our evening started with a glass of Kir. I started with the escargots (delicious!) followed by their rack of lamb with scalloped potatoes. Reenie had a scallop dish (St. Jacques), which was very good. We also had a bottle of red wine, which is included in the price of the menu for 2 people. For dessert, I had their creme brulee while Reenie enjoyed their chocolate fondant. 58E/$53.56.<BR><BR>CHEZ MAITRE PAUL<BR>12, rue Monsieur-Le-Prince<BR>Phone: 01 43 54 74 59<BR>I started with a sausage and potato appetizer, which had a lemon sauce. Very tasty and filling. Next I enjoyed chicken in a gratin sauce with mushrooms. Reenie had a salmon mousse to start followed by lamb braised with vegetables. I had fresh strawberries and raspberries with raspberry sorbet for dessert. We had a bottle of red wine. Everything was excellent; however the service was on the slow side in getting our bill. 64E/$59.11. <BR><BR>PETIT PRINCE DE PARIS<BR>12, rue de Lanneau<BR>Paris<BR>01 43 54 77 26<BR>Reenie started with an endive dish with cured pork (Lardon) in a lemon cream, cheese sauce while I had their escargot in puff pastry in a basil cream sauce. We both had their beef with roquefort sauce and house red wine. While dining, we listened to music by Natalie Cole. The place is nicely decorated but could use more light as it was pretty dark inside. Young crowd with a mixture of tourists and locals. 59E/$55.31. <BR><BR>LE MAUPERTU<BR>94 Bvd de la Tour Maubourg<BR>01-45-51-37-96<BR>7th Arr.<BR>Closed Sat & Sun<BR>12 - 2:30pm and 7-10pm)<BR>I enjoyed a delicious mushroom stuffed ravioli with wild mushroom sauce followed by shrimp with pasta in a light lemon sauce. The creme brulee was the best I've ever had. Reenie enjoyed a salmon terrine with scallop in a lemon dill sauce, followed by turbot fish with cepes (mushrooms) and chocolate fondant for dessert. We also had a nice bottle of white wine, which was a nice change from all the red wine we drank. 74E/$69.11.

Tami Sep 22nd, 2002 07:20 PM

La Florimond in the 7th district by far is the most incredible restaurant I have ever been too! 28 Euro per person for a 3 course meal or a la carte. Stunning.. Zagat's loves this place and so will you! Listen to me...Classic French for sooo cheap! Beautiful interior and patio..Make reservations!!!

barrie Sep 22nd, 2002 09:21 PM

La Florimond!!!!!!!!!!! The Best!!

Yummy Sep 23rd, 2002 01:55 PM

Why isn't this on the France board. <BR>Keep the answers coming.