What are must see's in Sicily?

Apr 25th, 2001, 09:01 AM
rob

What are must see's in Sicily?

Will be staying in Taormina for 5 nights mid June; what are the best sights/activities?
thanks

Apr 25th, 2001, 04:39 PM
peter

there are several nice jewerly storesin the downtown area. mt etna is a must. a day in syracuse is worth the effort. there is a small town downhill from taormina accessed by funicular interesting yo walk around. behind the town there is a mountain with an old english fort ruins on top. forgot the name but easy to find out. there is a set of stairs going to the top and the view is to kill for-need to be in condition to do this one. catania ok for 1/2 day walk around. in taormina dont miss the greek theeatre ruins. have fun

Apr 25th, 2001, 04:51 PM
Captb93

We were in Taormina ten days ago with a guide who took us to a small mountain town called Savoca, not far from Taormina. The name will not be familiar but once you are there, if you saw The Godfather, you should recognize the town square & tavern(Vitello?). The town was also the site of the wedding scene. In spite of that the town is beautfully situated high up on a montain top with a Monastery that has catacombs that you can visit. Worth a visit - even the guide was impressed!

Apr 26th, 2001, 05:08 AM
Roberta

thanks for all suggestions

Apr 26th, 2001, 06:16 AM
paul

I agree you must do Mt Etna, I was there a year ago and was lucky enough to be at the observatory when it decided to throw a whole lot of ash out. Totally awesome! There a couple of bus companies that do day trips all over the place. The trip to Armerina to see the mosiac floors in the ruins of a roman hunting villa was fantastic. For the best pasta I had in Toarmina go to L'Angelo just off Corso Umberto(the main street) it was Brilliant!

Apr 26th, 2001, 06:26 AM
siobhan mcphail

Rob

Go to the Greek Theatre in Taormina and sit and marvel at its Mount Etna backdrop. Was a 'must see' for me and I hope one day to return there and savour it all again.

Siobhan

Apr 28th, 2001, 03:41 AM
Rob

Thanks, siobhan