Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   What am I missing in Venice? (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/what-am-i-missing-in-venice-684125/)

TravMimi Mar 1st, 2007 02:51 PM

What am I missing in Venice?

I read a lot of posts about how people like Venice. I've been a few times and I guess I just don't get it. Outside San Marco and the Palace, which are nice, what am I missing? It seems like a hall of mirrors of glass shops. I can't tell one street from another because they all look the same. I really must be missing something. Help! I have to go again in June.

brewlew Mar 1st, 2007 03:08 PM

Well, everybody likes different things. If you don't like it when you've seen it, I'm not sure someone can find the words to make you like it. But I found it to be a very romantic city and I love the sound the water makes when it laps against the buildings. I think some of the items in the numerous shops are so beautiful and well-made. We had dinner and Prosecco at an outdoor restaurant built out over the Guidecca Canal, under a full moon . . . and thick, delicious coffee with peaches and melon under an arbor in the mornings. I love to walk and I love churches and old, arched buildings and gilded walls. I can still hear the violins from Florian's in the early evening. Etc., etc.

crefloors Mar 1st, 2007 03:10 PM

I'm sorry. I'd be delighted to go in your place so you don't have to. LOL
I know what you mean however...I love Venice but there are other places that others find wonderful that leave me less than excited. I don't know what it is sometimes...you can't describe, the place grabs you or it doesn't. So, again, just let me pack a small bag and I'll be their to relieve your "suffering". Aren't Fodor's people grand?!!!!!! LOL

Statia Mar 1st, 2007 03:10 PM

Have you visited all of the different sestiere? I can walk in a lot of areas and not run across that many glass or masks shops. Have you ventured into the areas where real Venetians live and there aren't as many tourists?

Have you seen the Accademia? The Peggy Guggenheim Museum? The Correr Museum? The many beautiful churches? Burano, Murano, Torcello, perhaps? I've been in some areas of Venice where it was just me, myself and I and I rarely ran across another person....even in the high season. :)

I agree the San Marco and Rialto areas are very touristy, but there is so much more to Venice's mystery and magic than that.

Just a few helpful suggestions, although I agree that Venice just doesn't capture everybody the way it does some of us.

I hope you enjoy your next visit more.

crefloors Mar 1st, 2007 03:10 PM

I mean "there".

TravMimi Mar 1st, 2007 03:16 PM

brew, Great reply. Sure sounds like you have a great time there. I'll admit I can sit at the Florian for hours. And it's soooo true, different people like different things, but as a wanderer I like to see something really different around every corner. But I'm glad Venice has filled a spot in your heart. Happy travels always

TravMimi Mar 1st, 2007 03:18 PM

crefloors! LOL love it. It's an interesting subject. What is is that "grabs" people about places.

suze Mar 1st, 2007 03:20 PM

I loved Venice, twice now, but I don't think I can explain the feeling... like falling in love (with a person) not every place is meant for every person. Venice maybe is just not for you. How unfortunate you "have" to keep going there (just kidding because most of us are green with envy).

enzian Mar 1st, 2007 03:23 PM

Venice is not for everyone, it is true.

Venice is all about history. . . and mystery.. . . and magic.

The more you learn about it, the more you are likely to love it.

It helps if you enjoy walking and are able to get out of the main tourist areas.

TravMimi Mar 1st, 2007 03:23 PM

I "have" to keep going because I spend lots of time in Italy. When family or friends come with me they always want to train up to Venice. Maybe I'm Veniced out.

suze Mar 1st, 2007 03:26 PM

Could you stay put elsewhere, and let the people who want to go to Venice go on their own? Then meet back up with you a few days later?

TravMimi Mar 1st, 2007 03:27 PM

suze, that's why I know I can sit for hours at the Florian.

Huitres Mar 1st, 2007 03:31 PM

Venezia is both a romantic AND depressing city. I think it is perfect for those in love because of its dreamy "serenissima" feel; however, in the late Fall/middle of winter it is gray, cold, and dreary and very depressing. I have friends who live in the Veneto and they say the cold, fog, and damp get to them all the time, much preferring a warmer clime further south (Amalfi coast towns, etc). However, if you "have to go there", why not make the most of it? Explore areas and things you haven't seen yet. I took the vaporetti to Lido Island, Murano, and Barano and thoroughly enjoyed my jaunts. Also, there is a small lido that has a wonderful monastery on it with practicing monks. Lord Byron loved visiting there when he would go to Venice. Buon viaggio!

TravMimi Mar 1st, 2007 03:33 PM

Ah, il Sud, che bellissimo

Statia Mar 1st, 2007 03:39 PM

Huitres, that is a good point about the weather during the fall. Funny thing....that is the time of year I like best in Venice, personally. Of course, I live in the tropics year round so for me it's a really, really nice change of pace. The fog, the cloudy days, the cool temps....I find it terribly romantic, myself. :)

TravMimi Mar 1st, 2007 03:45 PM

From all these posts I'm starting to see the connection. Venice and romance. Interesting.

Cimbrone Mar 1st, 2007 03:55 PM

I forget who said that Venice is "a city in aspic left over at a dinner party, and all the guests are dead."

My favorite memory of Venice is of my first time arriving at the train station one morning and coming out to see the gorgeous buildings and the life of the canal in full swing. It took my breath away. I still think it's a beautiful city, but it's not my favorite. I think for me to like it more, theyed need some brocante markets or something:)

lyb Mar 1st, 2007 04:22 PM

Luckily we don't all fall in love with the same city. Funny, you say that all the streets look the same..to me, they all looked and felt different. I walked all over Venice, often, I found myself to be the only tourist.

It's like actors that people just love and I just don't see it.... I can't explain my love for Venice, I feel at peace, at home, and fascinated by the city -- its history, its different lifestyle, surrounded by water.... Are you normally a water person? I personally love to be by the water, which makes Venice ideal.

Which cities do you love? Maybe you're just not a Venice person..that's okay...it leaves more room for those of us who miss the city on a daily basis when not there.

TravMimi Mar 1st, 2007 04:48 PM

The psychology of the traveler is indeed fascinating. I guess what I was really saying is that there is so very much more to Italy than the standard tour company stops of Rome-Florence-Venice. I'm wondering if most tourist only love those cities so much because they have not had a chance to experience the rest of Italy or if they have and just like those cities better.

Statia Mar 1st, 2007 05:36 PM

lyb, you posted my sentiments exactly..."at peace, at home, and by the water." :) But, then again....we have both always had that fascination with Venice in common, haven't we?