What about the Trafalgar London Hilton?

Jul 23rd, 2004, 11:02 AM
Original Poster

What about the Trafalgar London Hilton?

Still looking for the best hotel at the best price in the best location in London! Help! does anyone know about the Trafalgar London Hilton --- compare to the Claridge if you can. Thanks.
Jul 23rd, 2004, 11:11 PM

London has neither a best hotel nor a best location. Who's offering the best price varies by the second. And I never stay in them anyway, but occasionally eat or drink there. However you do seem to be comparing the junk Kraft sells with cheese

Claridge's (which presumably is the reference you have in mind) is a Grande Dame of London's hotels - still stayed in by 2nd division heads of state. Stuffy, but civilised, and long been one of London's 5 star places.

The Trafalgar Hilton has a website put together by an illiterate - and management too obsessed with their coolth to care (or too ignorant to realise). Its main bar, where a junior flanneruk, occasionally inveigles me to wind me up, is full of the worst sort of Young People - collectively noisy enough almost to drown out the moron music they insist on deafening themselves with and furniture so painfully uncomfortable it almost distracts you from the din. The one good thing about it is you can't hear the brain-dead nonsense that passes for conversation. Worth paying to avoid - a typical 3/4 star chain hotel with the nastiest features of pseudo-chic grafted on.

May be OK to stay in. But all the evidence is the place is more interested in getting listed in the right magazines than its customers' comfort. And whatever faults Claridge's might have, you can't say that about it.
Jul 24th, 2004, 06:34 PM

Flanneruk, you are so right-on! Last summr we went to their roof "bar". It was pathetic! There were about 3 or 4 tables, all but one taken but all of the barstools being used. The downstairs bar was everything you've said it is. Maybe it's my age? Tea at Claridges was lovely! They really knew how to live in that era.
Jul 24th, 2004, 11:10 PM

daph:

I am sometimes right.

But right-on? Never.
Jul 26th, 2004, 11:53 AM

You can't compare Claridge's which has history, class and one of the best bars in London to an Hilton - out of the Claridge's league.

Search this Thread