Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

What 2 Riviera towns would you chose to base in?

Jul 10th, 2002, 11:42 AM
Sue

We are planning a trip next summer and just doing the preliminary work now. One town I'm thinking of is Nice....from other posts, that seems highly favored. What other town or towns would you spend a few nights in that would be in good proximity to beaches/interesting sites? Also, if you have any hotels or B&B's to recommend in the town you suggest, please include that info. We are looking at 2 or 3 star accomodations. Thanks so much...xoxoxSue

Jul 10th, 2002, 11:58 AM
Diane

I found Nice to be a larger city than I was looking for. I was very happy in neigboring Antibes. The old town had a great daily market and there were many wonderful restaurants and shops. Don't miss the pastries.

Jul 10th, 2002, 12:24 PM
kay

Antibes is an excellent choice for a smaller base..There is aPierre and Vacances apartment complex there-an airconditioned one. For information use the on line site from Paris. This may be more cost effective for a week or longer stay. My husband and I used one of their rentals on the Brittany coast. They have rentals all over France but July and Aug. requires quick bookingfor 2003 I would think. Iam not a travel agent , we just go to the area yearly and have our own apt. in a small coastal village. Have fun.

Jul 10th, 2002, 04:06 PM
Rex

Another vote for Antibes. Beaches better at Cavalaire sur Mer, but not so much to do there (good for families with kids).

Best wishes,

Rex

Jul 10th, 2002, 05:12 PM
Seth

Juan les pins- great beaches and shops- it is part of antibes.
seth

Jul 10th, 2002, 06:36 PM
Coco

Hi Sue,
Looks like Antibes may be the place for you! Whenever my husband and I travel to the Cote d'Azure, we always stay at the small hotel/villa in Cap d'Antibes named...Hotel Castel Garoupe on a private lane. It is located right in the center of the cap, nearby the famous Hotel du Cap-Eden Roc Hotel. There are also apts for rent. It has balconies and shuttered windows and a tranquil garden. This hotel also has a website, if you are interested? http://www.oda.fr/aa/castelgaroupe. It is run by a friendly family from Corsica. There is a freshwater pool and tennis courts on the premises. Rates include a very nice continental breakfast. It is rather small and intimate, not overly fancy or overly pricey; free parking right on the premises. I would recommend renting a car if you stay here as do not think there is any kind of public transportation in the area?
Good luck, and enjoy your trip.
Coco

Jul 10th, 2002, 06:36 PM
Dianne

What if you're going before beach season? Would Nice then be better than Antibes for sightseeing/daytrips?

Jul 11th, 2002, 04:51 AM
amy

We toured the Riviera before the beach season. We stayed in Nice at Hotel le Grimaldi, a wonderful boutique hotel with a very convenient location. However, my family and I decided in hindsight that if we were to do anything differently, we would have stayed in Antibes or Villefranche instead of Nice. Our goal was to take daytrips up and down the coast using public transportation, not a car. Staying in Nice certainly made that easy. But both Villefranche and Antibes were close enough to the big cities to take advantage of Nice/Cannes offerings without the Nice/Cannes hassles.

Jul 11th, 2002, 03:51 PM
Dianne

What kind of hassles? I'm assuming noise and traffic. Or did Nice not feel safe in the evenings?

Jul 12th, 2002, 05:43 AM
Rex

I think that the "hassle" of Nice would refer to congested traffic - - getting out of and back into the city, if what you want to see is out of the city. From Antibes, you can be on the autoroute in half the time, maybe one quarter.

If it was a reference to safety, I couldn't comment on that; I have never stayed IN Nice, in a hotel.

Best wishes,

Rex

Jul 12th, 2002, 05:53 AM
joy

Just came back from the Riviera last week. Ww have been to the FR every summer for the past five years. We usually based ourselves in Nice because of accessibility to the other towns. Last year and this year we based ourselves in Cannes and we have no problems and actually really liked it very much. We stayed near the Suquet area and made trips to Antibes, SPV, Grasse etc.Antibes is fine but sometimes we just feel like walking around window shopping, or swimming or lazing around the croisette people watching and Cannes offered us these possibilities more than Antibes.(beaches are sandy vs. rocky in Nice).BTW, we liked Nice too and will recommend it also.

Jul 12th, 2002, 06:20 AM
Sue

Thanks so much for all of your help, everyone! It looks like I will base in just one area the whole time...sounds more relaxing to me! xoxoxSue

Jul 12th, 2002, 09:07 AM
up

up

Jul 12th, 2002, 11:13 AM
amy

Diane: Nice felt perfectly safe in the evenings. And since we did not use a car, there was no traffic hassle at all for us.

But there is pedestrian traffic and general noise to consider, too. Tons of street vendors. Lots (and do I mean, lots!) of dog poop. Granted, Vieux Nice is a pedestrian area, but we were still dodging cars, motorcycles and doggy doo there.

This sounds as though we're "country folk," fearful of the "big, bad city." Not at all--we're urbanites. And that's why we chose to base ourselves in Nice. We don't like suburbs, and we were not going to the Riviera in spring for a beach vacation anyway. But having done so many daytrips up and down the coast, we thought that Villefranche and Antibes had the corner on the market on old world charm, scenic beauty, and modern convenience. I think staying on the "Caps" associated with these two towns would also be appealing.