Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   What 2 cities do I visit??? (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/what-2-cities-do-i-visit-692697/)

lisamayq Mar 31st, 2007 08:50 AM

What 2 cities do I visit???

I am planning a trip for some time in September or October. We enjoy art, architecture, museums, and great food. Having said that, I'm looking for some advise. We would like to spend time in 2 cities over an 8 day period. Help me decide...Vienna, Prague, and Budapest. If you could only see 2 of these cities, which 2 would you choose??

Girlspytravel Mar 31st, 2007 08:55 AM

I like all 3 of these cities, but if I were to choose 2, I would choose Prague and Budapest, as I find them more exciting, and energetic, than Vienna.

ira Mar 31st, 2007 10:20 AM

Hi L,

I would choose Vienna and Prague.

((I))

nytraveler Mar 31st, 2007 10:25 AM

Prague and Budapest. Livlier, tons to see and do and a little less expensivve. To me - Vienna is always a little tired and even triste.

hidden_europe Mar 31st, 2007 10:37 AM

I'm absolutely with 'NYTRAVELER' on this one. Yes, Wien has a certain tiredness about it - a hundred years ago perhaps, but nowadays nothing to match the vitality of Praha or Budapest. Of course, if your idea of fun is stuffed shirts and overstifling courtesy, Wien is the place to head for. But the city lost its sparkle when the Russians (and other forces) left in the mid-fifties.
Nicky
www.hiddeneurope.co.uk

Kristinelaine Mar 31st, 2007 11:50 AM

Just to weigh in here -- I would choose Vienna and Prague. I have been to Budapest a couple of times and unfortunately both times were during heat waves, which probably influenced my impression of it. But if you love art, architecture, and museums, I think you will like Vienna very much and Prague is just fabulous and a not-to-be-missed place. Again JMHO.

I am curious as to why the Russians leaving Vienna ended its sparkle??? I don't understand that remark.

nbujic Mar 31st, 2007 12:01 PM

"But the city lost its sparkle when the Russians (and other forces) left in the mid-fifties."
You are kidding ! Right?

pippy4tao Mar 31st, 2007 01:33 PM

Prague and Budapest definetly. I've heard that Vienna isn't all that. Budapest is awesome and the culture is amazing. I consider prague the number one highlight of central europe!

Have Fun

www.nomadwannabe.com

Tuni01 Mar 31st, 2007 05:39 PM

Vienna has some world class musuems-Kunsthistoriches for one. We saw all 3 citgies last May and loved them all. I'd probably say Vienna and Prague since they are closer and there is plenty to see in each city. Try and get outside Vienna if you can and visit the Opera.

MaureenB Apr 2nd, 2007 09:28 AM

We haven't been to Budapest, but we did visit Vienna and Prague on one trip. We liked Vienna a lot, and it makes a good contrast to Prague. I wouldn't say Vienna is tired, we thought of it as elegant and classy. The Viennese we met were more formal, but that's part of its charm we thought. We stayed at the beautiful Hotel Kaiserin Elisabeth in old Vienna. Highly recommend it.
:)>-

Michael Apr 2nd, 2007 09:54 AM

For museums, Vienna. Don't miss the Leopold Collection. It is also interesting architecturally (Baroque, Art Nouveau, Secession, the Karl Marx housing complex). Google Hundertwasser for some interesting contemporary Viennese architecture.

These photos might give you some idea of what's there to see:

http://www.photoworks.com/share/shar...BB7B&cb=PW

Christina Apr 2nd, 2007 10:01 AM

I'd choose Prague (definitely) and then probably Budapest. I've been to all three and just didn't like Vienna very much. I don't think they have very good museums, actually, that's one thing I was disappointed in. They just aren't as good as Paris, London, etc. I just thought it was kind of a dull city, all in all. I wouldn't go to any of these cities for great food, actually, although you can always find top restaurants in any city if you want to pay enough. They eat a lot of meat in Vienna, all the time, even for snacks, and they put veal in almost anything. I'm surprised they didn't put veal in the desserts (which weren't that good).

kaneda Apr 2nd, 2007 10:28 AM

Budapest has a brillaint art gallery and across the river a castle of sorts on the hill which is good to look around.

PalenQ Apr 2nd, 2007 10:29 AM

Vienna and Prague - it's not even debatable for me and with your criteria i believe for you as well. Not to diss Budapest, but it ain't no Vienna or Prague IMO

kaneda Apr 2nd, 2007 10:30 AM

If you go to Budapest, don't forget to look around the Parliament building. A good subway for getting around too.

noe847 Apr 2nd, 2007 10:54 AM

Given your criteria, I'd say Vienna and Prague. Vienna's museums are world class: Kunsthistorishes is amazing, and the Albertina is lovely. As for architecture, you have everything from Romanesque churches to Gothic cathedral, Baroque and lots of Art Nouveau. Hundertwasser house is supposed to be interesting; I'm sorry that in my three visits I've not been there. Lots of palaces in Vienna as well. As a former imperial city the historic resources are extensive.

BTilke Apr 3rd, 2007 05:00 AM

I've been spending about two weeks in a year in Vienna every year since 2000 (along with various other trips of shorter lengths) and think the city is actually getting livelier with each passing year. It's an observation that the people I'm traveling with share too (we're all in town for a medical convention and then spend several days before or after sightseeing). I don't find it staid in the least.
It's not just classical music and Old Masters, although those are outstanding, the Liechtenstein Museum is one of my favorites in Europe.

Vienna also has quite a good tradition with modern musicals including the vibrant productions of Rebecca, Barbarella, and Elisabeth.
As for food, I NEVER eat veal and have no problems finding great meals in Vienna.
I would pick Vienna and Prague.

Rd Apr 3rd, 2007 05:12 AM

Give me Vienna anyday! I'm planning on going there next year. Each time I step out of the plane I feel the culture!

kcrotzer Apr 4th, 2007 02:36 PM

Would definitely go with Vienna (I am a bit biased though because I live here!) and Prague. To be honest I like Budapest more than Prague, but for a first time Prague is amazing!

Sandylan Apr 4th, 2007 03:20 PM

My choices would be Prague and Budapest. Vienna is well worth a visit too but much more expensive.I was not unduly impressed by the food in Vienna compared to other cities in western Europe.