Go Back  Fodor's Forum > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page > Whale Fjord, Reykjanes Peninsula, or Rekjavik?
Notices

Whale Fjord, Reykjanes Peninsula, or Rekjavik?

Feb 3rd, 2015, 02:26 PM
Original Poster

Whale Fjord, Reykjanes Peninsula, or Rekjavik?

So we're arriving at the airport at a ridiculous hour, 4 a.m. Our plan was to rent a car and sightsee until our room at the Start Hostel near the airport is ready. Someone who seems pretty informed about Iceland suggested that this is not a good plan. Whale Fjord seems a bit far out given that we only have the day (and evening if we changes locations) before moving on to Selfoss. Reykavik would work, but the Peninsula is a bit more alluring. If we go to the Blue Lagoon at all, it'll be at the end.

2nd and 3'd days we plan on touring or driving all or part of the Golden Circle, and the next day a Landmannaguar tour.

Do you think I should stick to my original plan, or is there a better one? I've posted my itinerary on other threads if you're interested. Thanks!
Feb 10th, 2015, 03:46 AM

Speaking purely from a practical point of view you may have to allow for flight delays and tiredness etc..in which case I would just consider checking your bags in at the hotel (I´m sure they will allow that even if your room is not ready) and then go grab breakfast/coffee at one of the numerous coffee shops in downtown Reykjavik...I know the temptation is there to do as much as possible in a short period of time but you can overdo it a bit!
Feb 16th, 2015, 10:07 PM

Hi! I totally agree with the previous comment. At 4 am you will want only one thing - to get rest in some warm cosy place, like a hotel bedroom. You may have a sleep at a hotel and than go sightseeing around Reykjavik - there are plenty things to see. I seriously recommend you not to plan anything big for the first day (or at least the first half of the day), as you'll need all your strength further.

Search this Thread