Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

We've settled the hairdryer issue..now what kind of curling iron do you take??

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 10th, 2001, 04:54 AM
lyv

My curling iron certainly doesn't have dual voltage and I've never tried a butane one - sort of scares me for some reason. Any suggestions on this? Wish there was a "throw-away" type!

Old May 10th, 2001, 05:01 AM
Judy

Hi Lyv, important stuff, curling irons IMHO, I bought a Revlon dual voltage quick heat iron and it works beautifully with a plug adaptor. Have not tried the butane curling irons, however cause I am a little leary of butane,,,, anyone? Judy

Old May 10th, 2001, 05:02 AM
DSK

My wife has used butane for 4 years now and swears by it. No more electric adapters

Old May 10th, 2001, 05:43 AM
pam

you can't take the butane cylinders in carryon luggage--they must be checked

Old May 10th, 2001, 07:03 AM
Marsha

If you travel to Europe on a semi-regular basis, just buy a curling iron there. I bought one 25 years ago in France and still use it on my trips.

Old May 10th, 2001, 07:18 AM
Lori

I take my curling iron along with a Franzus converter and adapter. It never fails me, in fact I just returned from Europe and used it again on this trip. I did buy a hair dryer in London a couple of years ago and also a plug for use in France with it tho. I am very leary of the butane types altho some swear by them.

Old May 10th, 2001, 08:01 AM
Tracy

Duh - buy one there. <BR> <BR>I have a Revlon UK-only one, and my continental Babyliss is bliss! No adaptors, and all 2star hotels have hair dryers - so I just pop the curling iron into my check-through bag. <BR> <BR>Plus the plugs look pretty freaky when you get 'em home ; )

Old May 10th, 2001, 09:12 AM
Shannon

I brought along my Revlon curling iron ($12 at Target) which had dual voltage (and not even a little knob to change it!). Using a $2 plug adapter, it worked like a champ <BR> <BR>-Shannon

Old May 10th, 2001, 10:13 AM
curly

Will an adapter and converter work with electric hair rollers? I don't want to have to buy a dual voltage set. What should I do?

Old May 10th, 2001, 10:28 AM
wavy

Get a perm.

Old May 10th, 2001, 10:36 AM
Linda

An adapter and converter will work with electric rollers; however, just make sure the converter has enough wattage. Many converters are like 200 watts. Most electric rollers are much higher. The converter must be at least the wattage of your roller, and more is definitely better. Actually, I used to use rollers. On a trip to Europe I used a curling iron, and that sold me on irons. Much easier, and smaller than rollers (more room for souveniers!), less expensive too.

Old May 10th, 2001, 10:49 AM
curly

Linda, <BR>Many thanks!

Old May 10th, 2001, 02:33 PM
Donna

Conair offers a large assortment of curling irons and curling brushes that are dual voltage (and adjust automatically without a switch). You can see them at www.conair.com and buy them at Walmart, Target, K-Mart, etc. Mine worked just fine with a plug adapter in Paris.

Old May 10th, 2001, 03:46 PM
janelle

My last dual voltage hair dryer blew up!Since I travel to Europe at least once a year (France, Spain, Italy), I purchased one there and just pack it along with me. Now I have no need for converters or adapters. I would do the same with a curling iron. Remember, if you are traveling to the UK you will still need additional gizmos.

Old May 10th, 2001, 04:01 PM
Kristy

Buy one there ! You can get them at Boots or any "chemist". On our first trip my friend used an adapter/converter with her curling iron from home. Her hair burned off and the curling iron melted in her hand. We had to throw it out the window for fear it would catch on fire....definitely not worth the risk or the bad hair days as a result !

Old May 10th, 2001, 04:20 PM
Joyce

Scaredy Cat! Butane is perfectly safe. I've been using a butane hair curler since they were invented and that was when I had to fill it myself. It is true that you can't take it in your carry-on, but there's nothing wrong with putting it in with your check-in luggage. I use it at home and on our boat. I can't be bothered with plugging in adapters or fooling around with a cord around my neck. Try it -- you'll like it.

Old May 10th, 2001, 08:37 PM
Andrea

Revlon dual voltage. <BR> <BR>Cheap. Works like a charm. Use it every day at home (in China), in the states, and in Europe. No problems, ever.