Reload this Page >

We've come a long way, baby...essay for solo female travelers

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 17th, 2001, 03:20 AM
kk

I enjoyed this *essay* from the NYTimes (will be in tomorrow's paper) written by a woman who started traveling for business in 1968. She shows how travel has changed and not changed for females traveling alone. I hope you enjoy this, too. It's neat reading. <BR>http://www.nytimes.com/2001/02/18/tr...ted=all&0217td

Old Feb 17th, 2001, 04:50 AM
s.fowler

Thanks kk! You do have to register for the NYTimes site, but it's free and this article is worth it! <BR> <BR>One of the experiences the author discusses is something that happened to me back in the late 50s to the mid 70s. A woman checking into a hotel alone, even without a reservation was very likely to be turned away because she was probably a "streetwalker". I remember going to NYC for a ballet performance [from Philadelphia] and having to pull my ticket out as "proof" that I wasn't a hooker. And even then they were reluctant to give me the room. One aspect that *has* changed these days is that reservations are guaranteed with credit cards and, as a consequence the hotel can know potentially more about you. The other thing that has changed is that no one cares about this any more <BR> <BR>Thanks kk [I *think*] for bringing back memories of being poorly treated in a different era.

Old Feb 17th, 2001, 05:39 AM
kk

What the article brought back for me were memories of my first ever solo trip, a business trip in 1985. <BR>As I drew back the drapes in my room and gazed out at the Toronto skyline, I thought, THIS is living....a little cocoon of luxury, leaving my household duties at home for my own hotel room and room service. <BR>That was also the trip after which my husband said, upon my return home, geesh, I didn't realize you did so much. It was really tough filling in for you. <BR>Of course, he now denies he ever said that, but I KNOW BETTER. <BR>Since that trip in 1985 I've traveled wherever & whenever my job would take me. I love traveling on someone else's money, a good way to supplement one's own leisure travel! The only place I've not enjoyed alone was Paris. London, NYC, Boston, Chicago, Washington DC, Hong Kong, etc. were all fine solo, for business.

Old Feb 17th, 2001, 05:44 AM
s.fowler

Oooops. My bad. That should have read "WITH a reservation."

Old Feb 17th, 2001, 02:52 PM
Diane

I remember staying at a major chain hotel at O'Hare Airport on business and not being able to use the health club facilities because it "men only". I had brought my workout clothes with me on the trip and was very annoyed at this and complained loudly. They said they would make an exception and allow me to use the facility between 9 am and 10 am the next day. Thanks alot, guys -- guess what? I'm here on business and cannot use the gym at 9 am. This was at a time they could get away with that sort of thing. No more, thank goodness.

Old Feb 17th, 2001, 03:29 PM
G

A Note of Thanks to the Pioneers! <BR> <BR>I am a business women and, in almost all cases, get treated with the same courtacy as men in North America & Europe (and can use the gym anytime I want!). <BR> <BR>I would like to thank all you pioneers out there who braved the insults, persevered and have made the world far easier for me to operate in. I have enjoyed the stories. <BR> <BR>

Old Feb 17th, 2001, 06:26 PM
Jayelle

I too enjoyed reading this article. I could relate to so much of it, particularly the parts about eating room service rather than going out to dinner alone on business trips and avoiding the lounges on the "executive" floors of hotels. I know that my male colleagues don't think twice about such things. Maybe I'll get over it some day. I hope the new generation of traveling women won't have these hangups.