Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   We've added 7 days in Italy...need help on itinerary! (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/weve-added-7-days-in-italy-need-help-on-itinerary-307918/)

lkemerson Feb 19th, 2008 05:35 PM

We've added 7 days in Italy...need help on itinerary!

My husband and I (ages 56 and 49) are heading to Ireland April 2. We have the opportunity to go 'somewhere else' through the magic of Ryanair (everyone quit cringing)and their low airfares (and yes, I know they don't typically land at the biggest, closest airports) of seeing someplace we've never been before.

Italy interests us both.

As Italy is something totally new for us, we have been reading like crazy, we have been watching travel videos (boy howdy does our local library need to upgrade) and talking to people who have been.

All of this has resulted in INFORMATION OVERLOAD.

I posted about Ryanair before, and got a couple, not so happy people, telling me how horrible they were, but we have used them in the past and had no issue. Flights are tight and cramped, but short. It's alright. If there is a better option that is budget, I would also love to hear who they are.

Ryanair flies out of Dublin to these cities (airports) in Italy, in no particular order:

Basel (BSL)
Milan Bergamo (BGY)
Turin (TRN)
Bologna Forli (FRL)
Pisa Florence (PSA)
Rome Ciampino (CIA)
Venice Treviso (TSF)

As long as we can fly back to Dublin, in our travels, from one of these airports we are good!

We do want to do a couple days in Rome, other than that, we are open.

So...if you had 7 days in Italy, wanted to see Rome, and were open the rest of the days to 'whatever' only needing to be at one of the above airports for a flight back to Dublin on day 7...what would you suggest doing?

Getting Rick Steves book on Italy.

We want to do B&B's. We can rent a car, but train sounds fun/interesting too...as we've never really traveled by train.

What things in Rome must I IMMEDIATELY, as we've decided to do this last minute it seems, get reservations in for (if possible?)

Again, we are open to any and all hints, suggestions or help.

Thank you, in advance for any thoughts.

K

CasaDelCipresso Feb 19th, 2008 06:28 PM

I could go on and on about suggestions for a week in and around any of those spots ;-) but...will refrain for the moment...I too am doing an Ireland/Italy combo trip (right before you actually)..so wanted to warn you to CHECK the RyanAir TIMES - we couldn't find good connections (i.e. I think the Rome flight leaves at the CRACK of dawn and we couldn't get to the airport in time to make it) however...what I really wanted to say is to check out AerLingus as well...our flights from Dublin to Rome are actually cheaper on AerLingus than on RyanAir -AerLingus has turned very no-frills (i.e. pay for checked luggage and low weight limits, etc.) in order to compete...and we found prices very comparable. (AreLinugs also flys direct to Naples aftere March 18th...not that you really needed yet another destination to choose from!)
Have a great trip!

janelp Feb 19th, 2008 07:03 PM

My recommendation is to spend the entire time in Rome. We have been there several times and still have more to see and thoroughly enjoy it each time. Rent an apartment in the historic center and then just explore the eternal city and the Vatican. You can then plan another trip to Italy with more time. Once in Italy, you will return.

tuscanlifeedit Feb 19th, 2008 07:19 PM

I agree that all in Rome would be nice. I also agree with checking times on Ryanair flights. And check Easyjet, too. Oh, since we are checking, check whichbudget.com. I like the way that site works.

I would be happy to have time around any of the Ryanair airports in italy.

CasaDelCipresso Feb 19th, 2008 07:43 PM

ok, ok, ok...since we're chiming in ;-) (knew I couldn't keep my big mouth shut for long!)

I would choose a week in Venice hands down. It is my first love in Italy...and I've been head-over-heels ever since I walked out of the train station on a backpacking trip when I was 18 (!) (have now dragged my entire family into my Italian love affair and convinced my husband to buy a vacation home in Italy ;-) - although not Venice -I've moved on and explored other areas now)

I like to visit Rome...but I LOVE Venice. (I know others will disagree) I never was over-the-top for Florence, although I do certainly like a few days of the museums, etc. just never drew me in (no explinantion - like to say it was becasue it was overly touristy...but that theory is totally shot when my first choice spot in the World is Venice)I likeBologna a lot (ok...like to EAT in Bologna a LOT ;-) ) but I wouldn't pick it for a first trip to Italy...same with Turin and Milan.

(and I do know I said I was flying down to Rome form Dublin...and I am and heading to our place in the South...but...ending up for four days in Venice to cap off the trip) BTW - do youo need to go back to Dublin? i.e. did you already book tickets?) We found that the price to fly NY-Dublin and then Dublin-Rome and Milan to NY tured out the same as RT from NY-Dublin and RT Dublin-Rome...and we get to go Souther AND North :-) without backtracking.

ira Feb 20th, 2008 07:17 AM

Hi I,

>We do want to do a couple days in Rome...

PSA is your most convenient airport.

I would fly into PSA and train from the airport to Florence SMN - about 1:30 hr - 3 nights. Visit Siena.

Train to Rome - 3 nights - fly back from CIA

If I were doing this, I would fly into Treviso - 3 nights in Venice, train to Florence for 3 nights and fly back from PSA.

((I))

lkemerson Feb 20th, 2008 07:24 AM

Since we are there for our first time, we want to do a little more than one city. Yes, I know it may be taking on a lot, but what if we did ~

3 days in Venice
1 afternoon in Florence
3 days in Rome?

This would let us see the 'big ticket' items, give us some time to wander around Venice (which is something I really want to do), and a little 'something else' {Florence) too.

Hubby asks about Pisa...since we want to hit one more highlight.

If you were to choose between Pisa or Florence, which would you choose.

I'd like this one day to be a day of leisurely looking and just taking in the way of life in Italy.

(We are the hyper, got to move and move a lot types) so a day of something a little more sedate, in a place NOT so big, kind of sounds good...maybe?

We have decided the best option for us to travel from place to place is the train. Friends tell us they loved traveling on the train, and it gives you an opportunity to watch the scenery pass by, get up and move a bit, and be amongst the people.

Any thoughts on the train?

THANK YOU, for the Aer Lingus idea. YES. Better. Fares about the same, a wee bit more, but alright.

I have NOT bought airfare home yet, but now will look into the one way home from Rome or Venice (whichever we end up leaving from). Thank you too for that idea. In the past, it seems in our travels we always did better with our round trip, from the same airport we landed in return $$$ wise.

Looking for any nice budget B&B's anyone has stayed in in any of these places. Since this is an 'add on', we're stretching our travel dollar as far as it can go.

Plan on doing the whole 'back door' travel thing. Staying in B&B's, eating our biggest meal at lunch (with maybe one or two splurge dinners), and just noshing on something from a vendor, or the store in the evening.

We are not big foodies.

I am getting so excited...soon as I find that good airfare, Im booking and will be SO gone from home from April 2 to the 18th!!!!

I'm going to go with the hope that there are no stupid questions, and keep asking them.

Oh...I know there are a lot of English speaking people in Italy, but would love to learn a few key phrases. Any suggestions on a book to help me learn them?

Karen

ira Feb 20th, 2008 07:28 AM

Hi I,

>3 days in Venice
1 afternoon in Florence
3 days in Rome?<

If you leave Venice early, you can spend A DAY IN FLORENCE:

Train to Florence SMN:
The Luggage Office is to your left as you leave the train.

From Piazza d' Stazione, walk up via Nazionale to via d'Ariento and the Mercato Centrale, wander through.

Take any street going NE to Via Degli Alfani and go right to the Accademia for The David.

Take via Ricasoli SE to the Duomo, the Baptistry and the Opera Museum (Originals of the bronzes on the doors)

From the Campanile, take via Calzaiuoli S (do some window shopping) to the Piazza d' Signoria. Look around, take a break.

Continue S to the Uffizi. Visit.

From the Uffizi, walk W along the Arno River to the Ponte Vecchio.

(You can walk up to the Pitti Palace and the Boboli Gardens if there is time. Great views of Florence from the top of the Gardens)

If you have time, walk E along the S bank of the river to Ponte alle grazie and cross over to visit Santa Croce.

If not, go W along the Arno from Ponte Vecchio to Ponte S. Trinita and go right. Go left on Via d'Spada to via d'Fossi and go right to Santa Maria Novella. Look around.

SMN is across the square from the train station.

If you have time, take the no. 7 bus (you can find it at the SMN train station) up to Fiesole (0:20 hr 1E) to watch the sunset from the terrace of the Bar Bleu.

Be sure to have lots of gelato (in a cup, not a cone), take some wine breaks and a light lunch.

Train schedules, prices and tickets are at http://www.trenitalia.com/en/index.html
Call center from outside Italy is 39-06-68475475

Bus routes are at http://www.ataf.net/
Buy your ticket before you get on the bus. Stamp it in the yellow box on the bus.

Uffizi and Academia Museum Reservations
The easiest and cheapest way is to call Florence 1010987 (dial around number), 011 (U.S. international access code) 39 (Italy's country code) then 055-294-883 8:30-18:30 M-F and 8:30-12:00 Sat. Florence time. There is a long listing of press 1 for this and 2 for that--press 4 for bookings. You will get an English speaking operator and in 2-3 minutes YOU CAN RESERVE FOR BOTH. This is through the reservation service at the Uffizi and costs beyond the normal entry fee only about 3 euro for the service. This is MUCH cheaper than the commercial booking services.

You will not be charged for the reservations unless you use them.

Have a nice visit.

((I))

Dayle Feb 20th, 2008 08:22 AM

ikemerson,

3 days Venice
1/2 day Florence
3 days Rome

Can be done. It will be a quick teaser, or as I call it "a drive by".

But, seriously, don't expect to "leisurely take in Italian life" in one day - especially not while dashing into the Uffizi in Florence.

If it were me, I would stick with only 2 destination. It will be much more enjoyable.

Buon viaggio!

ellenem Feb 20th, 2008 09:50 AM

We did exactly as you plan a few years ago, stopping in Florence on the way between Venice and Rome. Our train left Venice at about 8:30AM and arrived in Florence at about 11:30AM.

I would skip going inside the Uffizi for such a short visit. Reserve an afternoon spot at the Accademia so you can see David and the other galleries--much quicker and easier to do.

We wandered around, went in the Duomo and Baptistery, walked across the Ponte Vecchio, had a nice lunch, had great gelato, did some shopping at the open markets, wandered some more.

Caught a train about 6:00PM and were in Rome by 7:30PM. We had to arrive at our Rome B&B by a certain time or we would have caught a later train.

toni_g_b Feb 20th, 2008 02:46 PM

"Oh...I know there are a lot of English speaking people in Italy, but would love to learn a few key phrases. Any suggestions on a book to help me learn them?"

K,

Before our first trip to Italy I used the BBC site to pick up a few phrases and it was very helpful - especially with pronunciation. And actually a lot of fun!

http://tinyurl.com/6knv5

cathies Feb 20th, 2008 02:59 PM

Hi Ira, thanks for the tip on the booking service for Academia and Uffizi - will certainly use that for our bookings in May. cheers, Cathie

geordias Feb 20th, 2008 03:21 PM

If your spending several days in Rome, you should go to the Borghese Museum. Tickets can be gotten online BEFORE you go as only a limited number of people are allowed in at one time. The museum is incredible. You will leave a Bernini fan, for sure.

geordias

CasaDelCipresso Feb 20th, 2008 07:00 PM

skip Pisa (in my opinion) on a first trip.

I do think you can get a nice feeling for Florence in an afternoon (I'm staying there a night as well and will only have late afternoon and evening to wander and get dinner) Just don't plan on hitting all the museums if you're short on time ;-)

(Glad Aer Lingus worked out for you too!)

danon Feb 20th, 2008 07:26 PM

3 cities in 7 days??
Sounds like a lot of time spent on plains, trains, checking in and out of hotels...rushing.
I would stay in Rome and (maybe) take a day trip to Florence .

lkemerson Mar 2nd, 2008 03:29 AM

Thank you all for your help.

Hotel/B&B reservations are made, flights are all set, and I'll be making the reservations for the museums, etc, today.

Our travel style is ~ go, go, go...so for those of you concerned we are doing too much, in too little time, this trip was intended as a quick taste of Italy, with intentions of a trip back to the parts we enjoyed best.

I would like to ask, as a curiosity only, if any of you have had trouble with pick pockets, or scams. Where they took place, and how you prevented this, if you did.

Informed consumer, and all that. ;)

They Ryanair vs. Aer Lingus debate, is one I will always roll my eyes at, after booking and think ... they'll get your money one way or the other.

extra charges to check bags, extra charges to choose seats. Bah... Still and all, at the end of the day it cost us a wee bit more to use Aer Lingus, but our landing and take-off airports are THE airports closest to the points of interest...so we paid a little more for convenience...gonna hope the planes are a little less cramped too!

K

rosetravels Mar 2nd, 2008 08:47 PM

Hi K,
I think that's just the right amount of time for Florence ;) and the Italian trains are great. It'll be easy.

I think the usual precautions apply in Italy but if you want to be cautious, a money belt doesn't hurt. I just wore my purse strap across my body (wide, think leather strap) and always try to look like I know what I'm doing and where I'm going.

repete Mar 2nd, 2008 09:11 PM

You're getting good advice here, but I wouldn't rely on the Steves book. From what I've seen, he's OK on his favorite areas, but far from comprehensive -- missing a lot of gems.

willit Mar 3rd, 2008 12:06 AM

To me, 3 cities in 7 days is just a recipe for stress. You see 3 places, but none of them well. An afternoon in Florence with long train trips either side - I'm not sure it is worth the effort.

This is just my opinion, and I am a bit of a slow traveller. If you wnet straight from Venice (3 days) to Rome then that would be more managable. It would at least give you some time to absorb something of the cities, rather than just have your picture taken in front of something famous.

lkemerson Mar 3rd, 2008 12:28 PM

Willit and all...thanks again.

I found a great little folder purse I will also wear around my body, and likely under a jacket, but close and in the front when in a very crowded area.

Hubby is doing a belt,and I will not carry anything of REAL importance in that purse. Will likely leave it behind, empty more times than not. Thank you.

Willit,

I'm hearing you on your opinion, and do appreciate it.

This trip was to basically see a bit of Rome and Venice. The parts in between are tossed in as 'we are there.' Our next trip to Italy will include time spent in little out of the way places,with more time at hand.

The first part of our trip to is to Ireland for 9 days. And it is a return trip for us there. It is being spent in the areas we maybe flew through last trip, and loved the most.

Works for us! ;)

Thank you.