Westminister Abbey evensong service?

Oct 8th, 2001, 12:35 PM
Marla

Westminister Abbey evensong service?

I'm finalizing plans for our trip next week to London and Paris. We want to attend a choral evensong service at Westminister Abbey. Do they have these services every night at 17:00 or just Wednesdays? The website westminister-abbey.org just says "weekdays --- evensong 17:00", but I remember reading something about a Wednesday evensong service somewhere! Anyone have an answer? Thanks, Marla

Oct 8th, 2001, 12:54 PM
Becky

Sorry, don't know if it is only wednesday or all week, but one of my guidebooks suggests getting in line for the 5:00 evensong by 4:15 because the first attendees get to sit in the stately choir stalls, where apperantly the view of the Westminster Boys Choir is much better. It says the evensong last about 45 min.

Oct 8th, 2001, 06:18 PM
Gigi

Hi, Marla,
I am not sure, but, I think the evensong is held most days. As I recall St.Paul's had a Wednesday evensong. I was early for the Westminster evensong and was able to sit in the choir with the children. It was enchanting!
I'll see if I can confirm this and repost.
Have a great trip!
Gigi

Oct 8th, 2001, 07:22 PM
Ben Haines

Their web site http://www.westminster-abbey.org/
shows under services
"17.00 Choral Evensong (15.00 Saturday only. Evening Prayer on Wednesdays)"
Which means Monday, Tuesday, Thursday and Friday Choral Evensong at five, Wednesdays said Evening Prayer at five, and Saturdays Choral Evensong at three.

Welcome to London

Ben Haines

Oct 9th, 2001, 07:21 AM
Marla

Thanks everyone for the clarification!

Marla

Oct 9th, 2001, 10:00 AM
Liz

Marla, you will absolutely love it. I stumbled upon it one afternoon hoping to get into see the abbey, but arrive after closing hours. The kind guard said if you go to the back you can hear the end of eve-song. It was magical, and I thought it was lovely sopranos then to see a boys choir filing out at the end. Truly one of my best Euro experiences.