Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Westin or Westbury? (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/westin-or-westbury-496527/)

buffalonian Jan 18th, 2005 06:35 PM

Westin or Westbury?

Hotels in Dublin...

What are your opinions on the Westin and Westbury Hotels in Dublin? Both look very nice and their internet rates are the same.

We'll be in Dublin for two nights. We'd like to know which is most centrally located, etc. Opinions welcome!

Thanks!

cailin Jan 19th, 2005 12:58 AM

both are in fantastic locations. The Westbury is just off Grafton Street and the Westin is just beside Trinity College. Both hotels are within walking distance of all the main attractions. I would probably favour the Westin slightly - the building is gorgeous and, as it's newer, I would imagine the rooms are better. However I've never stayed in either so I'm not sure! Either hotel would be great.

SiobhanP Jan 19th, 2005 01:40 AM

Just for location as I think its kinda nice I would go for the Westbury. Its a small street off Grafton street and you can literally fall out of the hotel and into the pubs and shops.

The Westin is only 5-10 minutes away but on a busier traffic street and a much newer hotel.

They are on par with eachother I just like the Westbury as its less traffic and off a pedestrian street.

pastyp Jan 19th, 2005 07:53 AM

Westbury, hands down. Location, location, location

AnnaG Jan 19th, 2005 08:08 AM

Hi there,
I am an ex-Dublin girl who lives in Northern Ireland now. I visited a friend this week and we had dinner in Dublin city centre. Afterwards, it was cold and we wanted to go somewhere for hot chocolate. We decided on the Westbury - good decision! We got a seat upstairs, two fat armchairs in the huge picture window looking on to Grafton Street. We had some great hot chocolate and dessert, entertained by live piano music, and while we chatted it started to snow, amazing looking down on this from the luxury and comfort of the Westbury. Go there!

Anna

buffalonian Jan 21st, 2005 12:44 PM

Thanks all!

AnnaG, I was sold with the hot chocolate story! ;0)

I think the location can't be beat. We were going to stay only two nights but, decided on three so we can spend all day in town our last day.

Our trip is booked, hotels reserved and just waiting on my husband to decide on the car rental (I had to let him be a little involved in the planning! arf arf)

I'll post our trip report upon returning ~ late February. Will be a whirlwind but, looking forward to it.

Thanks again!

SiobhanP Jan 24th, 2005 07:44 AM

For a nice inexpensive bite just around the corner from the Westbury try "Pizza Stop". Its in a laneway beside McDaid's pub. DON'T confuse it with Little Ceasars (SP?) restaurant which is not great in my opinion. They don't take reservations and its a nice pizza pasta place that won't break the bank.

nytraveler Jan 24th, 2005 10:45 AM

Haven't stayed at the Westin - but the Westbury was fine. Good location - you can walk to lots of the sights. And while the hotel is kind of old fashioned the rooms are reasonably large with all the usual amenities and the service is fine.