Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Western Ireland Suggestions Needed! (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/western-ireland-suggestions-needed-85457/)

Catherine Sep 4th, 2000 07:59 PM

Western Ireland Suggestions Needed!

<BR> <BR>We are planning to visit Western Ireland in June 2001. In particular we have been looking at Counties Mayo, Galway and Sligo, but would consider anything that sparks our interest (I am definitely not at all familiar with anything south of County Galway). I would love if anyone who has been to this region <BR>would share their favorite things to see and do, places to stay, restaurants, etc. We are up for anything, and will have children with us during a good part of the trip, so would appreciate any suggestion toward things to see and do for kids & young teens as well. Thank you for helping with our planning!

Cathy Sep 5th, 2000 01:28 PM

Catherine, <BR>Check out www.ireland.travel.ie the web site of the Irish Toruist Board and also the Ireland west web site at www.westireland.travel.ie and the <BR>Ireland North west region at www.northwestireland.travel.ie <BR> <BR>www.heritageireland.com provides great information on heritage cards which allow access to most sites attractions <BR> <BR>Re accommodation you could stay in B&Bs or rent a cottage check out the following web sites - <BR>www.ireland.travel.ie <BR>www.townandcountry.ie <BR>www.irishfarmholidays.com <BR>www.hidden-ireland.com, <BR> <BR>If you are looking for some where different to stay and budget is not important then try www.templehouse.ie - <BR> <BR>Other sites on western region include <BR>WWW.connemarra-tourism.org <BR>www.connemara.net <BR> <BR>The kids should like Galway city and also Sligo town, the beaches along the North West coast and in Donegal are great. The highlands of Donegal are great for walking, be sure and see the Museum in Lifford in Donegal. If you are going in early June then it will be safe enough to cross the border and see the Northern city of Derry and the Bushmills distril;lery, any later than the 15th don't cross over as there may be some trouble with the marching season. <BR> <BR>If you have any more questions please post and I will try and answer them, <BR> <BR>

Kathleen Sep 5th, 2000 05:21 PM

Westport, in Co. Mayo is a charming town. You might consider climbing nearby Croagh Patrick; it's a tough climb, but the views are fantastic, and good for the soul! Visit Ballintubber Abbey a few miles away, a lovely historic site. <BR>IN the same area, Achill Island is rugged and breathtaking. Also think about going to the Aran Islands. <BR>I second the recommendation for Temple House near Sligo. I stayed there this spring, and loved it. There's lots of sheep, donkeys, and trails to explore. <BR>

Catherine Sep 8th, 2000 08:54 PM

Dear Cathy and Kathleen, <BR> <BR>Thank you so much for the wonderful suggestions! I went to the Temple House website and feel in instant love. We will definitely be spending at least a couple days there. In fact, I sent an email to the Temple House and received a reply within an hour! <BR>I had been to the Irish Tourist Board Site, but not to their site for Western Ireland. I didn't even realize it existed, but it provided some terrific information. <BR>Can you tell me what Ballintubber Abbey is like? Are you by any chance familiar with an Abbey close to Claremorris, County Mayo. Or with Claremorris itself? <BR> <BR>Thank you again for all the help!

Cathy Sep 9th, 2000 11:39 AM

Catherine, <BR>Delighted to help, & glad you liked Debs and Shandy's Temple House site - be remember absolutely NO PERFUMES ETC on you or your clothers as Sandy is allergic to all that stuff. I would suggest that you bring a bottle of your favour tipple with you and enjoy it with other guests around the fire after dinner. Ask Sandy in an email to help you with the Abbey question as you are a bit vague with the question. Have a great time, <BR>Cathy

Jen Sep 9th, 2000 02:26 PM

Check on the Net for the Famine Village. I can't remember details (I'm hoping Cathy knows of this place). But it's in the Galway/Mayo area, and it's one of the most interesting things I've seen in Ireland in my 11 trips there and 2 years of living in the country.

Joan Doyle Sep 9th, 2000 05:28 PM

Dear Catherine: Since you say you've already been to Galway, perhaps you would enjoy some of County Kerry, most notably the Dingle Peninsula, Killarney, and especially Kenmare and the Beara Peninsula. There are a number of good restaurants in Kenmare--though the chef at the nicest was killed in a traffic accident bout three years ago and his widow chose not to continue the effort, alas. The West Ireland Tourist Board should have good information on this area though. Enjoy your visit! Joan

Kathleen Sep 10th, 2000 05:11 PM

Catherine, Ballintubber Abbey is south of Castlebar in Co. Mayo. Any good map (I like Michelin) will show it. Ballintubber is known as 'the Abbey that refused to die' because mass has been celebrated there continuously since its founding in 1216. It's 29 years older than Westminster Abbey, and was 300 years old when Columbus 'discovered' America. The grounds are really lovely, landscaped with the Stations of the Cross. It is the beginning of the Pilgrims Trail to Croagh Patrick. Definitely worth a visit.

topper Jul 15th, 2002 09:28 AM

topping