Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

western ireland: cycling, lodging & public toilets?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 23rd, 2004, 11:15 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

thought i would ask something different than the standard questions i am planning my ireland vacation, for early-mid june; will be cycling through parts of the west. leaving ennis, going to "the cliffs" through lahinch, doolin, lisdoonvarna, kilfenora, and back to ennis. for anyone who has driven or cycled this area; will i have a hard time finding public bathrooms? you know, some places in the US & europe too won't let you in if you're not a paying cutomer! okay, no laughing -- i'm just envisioning myself riding from town to town looking for a toilet for a boring question, is june busy enough that i should make lodging reservations in advance? unfortunately i won't have exact dates until a week prior to the trip. it sucks for planning ahead, but i have to come home from iraq first! thanks all.
Old Apr 23rd, 2004, 12:27 PM

katvg:

You will be able to find B&Bs in Ireland in June without too much trouble. They are everywhere. Unless you know exactly how much you will cover each day, you'll probably be better off playing it by ear. Also, at that point, only knowing a week in advance isn't going to help that much.

There are some public bathrooms in Ireland, some charge for the use. I know the one in the Ennis city center does. In the rural areas, most pubs have no problems with you walking in and usuing the facilities. It's a different issue in the cities. Once you get in though, you may be lured in to staying by the wailing of the Sirens of Guinness. Hard to resist their call.

Sounds like it will be a blast! How long will you be there?

Bill
Old Apr 23rd, 2004, 12:34 PM

katvg--I'm not laughing, I had the same question! Luckily, public "toilets" are easy to find. All the gas stations have them, and stations are plentiful. I did have some trouble finding ATMs in this area. If I remember right, there is no ATM in Lahinch, but there is one close by in Liscannor.
Old Apr 23rd, 2004, 02:51 PM
Original Poster

thanks to both of you! bill, i am only going to have a week (i know, cringe in horror) to spend there. have to go back to work! i am wary of the allure of guinness, especially as i will have been without booze for 7 months (no drinking for US troops in iraq)... i REALLY want a fresh guinness. anyways, i think the idea of getting a room as i go is definitely going to be it. rebecca, thanks for the head's up on the ATMs. i had heard that too. better that i know now than being stuck somewhere w/no moola
Old Apr 24th, 2004, 01:44 AM

rebeccaastone writes: "... I did have some trouble finding ATMs in this area. If I remember right, there is no ATM in Lahinch, but there is one close by in Liscannor."

There is an ATM in Lahinch just outside the Irish Tourist Board shop at the top of the main street. I withdrew 70-Euro from it when we visited Lahinch (1 Mar, 2004).

Other than 'close-in' to Ennis, I don't recall seeing any service stations on the Lahinch road. There are Pubs with restrooms open to the public in places like Ennistymon; and at the Cliffs of Moher there's a large Visitor Center.

I believe it's the law in Ireland: Pubs must make their toilets accessible to the Public. That's what someone told me, anyway.

Old Apr 25th, 2004, 04:18 AM

For lodging: Abbey Tourist Hostel in Ennis is a great location (across from the ruins of the old Abbey and close to Cruise's Restaurant & Pub and Queen's Hotel). I strongly recommend the Table d'hote midday meal at the Queen's hotel for excellent food and generous portions at reasonable prices (about 7 Euro).

Ennis has its Spring Traditional Irish music festival the last week of May. You may find some sessions thru the first week of June. Try Cruise's Pub on a Sunday afternoon.
Old Apr 25th, 2004, 12:30 PM

Toilets can be an issue. And ones you do find at the petrol station can be interesting. The last one I used had hay on the floor. Still haven't figured out why.

Some pubs in towns with a lot of cycling traffic won't let you just use the toilets in the summer, because so many cyclists ask. And smaller restaurants and cafes simply don't have toilets.

Just be prepared. Of course Ireland being Ireland, someone may hear you being refused the toilet at a pub, and let you use the one in their house.