Chateau Vincennes, Paris

Old Feb 11th, 2006, 01:51 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Chateau Vincennes, Paris

I know you can get to the Chateau Vincennes via Metro but can anyone tell me about how long it takes(from the 5th)and if it's a very long walk from the metro stop once you get there? About how long would you allow in total - couple of hours, half a day, etc. Also, can you see much of the chateau/grounds without going inside, and if you did go inside, was it "worth it" (I know, I know, "worth it" is totally subjective, just give me your opinion). Thanks
Old Feb 12th, 2006, 04:00 AM
Original Poster

Anyone?
Old Feb 12th, 2006, 04:13 AM

Catch the number 1 metro that goes directly through the center of Paris to the terminal eastern end which is easily enough, Chateau de Vincennes metro stop. I'd guess it's only about 20 min or so from the 5th, maybe even less. All depends on where in the 5th you're coming from and how you have to connect to metro line 1. Stop is directly in front of the chateau. How much more you walk depends upon what of the surrounding parc you want to see. If it's early spring and the iris are in bloom, you should go to the Parc Floreal. Fabulous iris garden. There's also a zoo , hippodrome, and a couple of lakes. Taking in all of that would be a lot of walking or you can just hop back on the metro by the chateau. We didn't go into the chateau, in fact I'm not sure if it's open, but it's pleasant to view and a lot closer than the Loire. Enjoy.
Old Feb 12th, 2006, 06:45 AM
tod

isabel - it's two years since I visited Chateau Vincennes but remember walking through the grounds and seeing all the renovations taking place. Hardly a soul around (except a wedding couple being photgraphed) and we were on our way to Parc Floreal - it's totally gorgeous and the irises in the sunken garden were magnificent!
You need the best part of a day to do it at your leisure.
Old Feb 12th, 2006, 07:24 AM
ira

Hi I,

You can get directions, etc at www.ratp.fr

Old Feb 12th, 2006, 09:41 AM

I visited it perhaps five years ago, and enjoyed it, although I wouldn't call it a top site. I allowed myself a half day, probably. I don't think you can see much without going inside, if you mean inside the grounds, but some of the things you tour are out of doors once you are in there. Why wouldn't you want to go inside, as long as you go all the way out there? This chateau is different from others due to its time period (which is why I found it interesting for a change), dating from Medieval period. I didn't visit the large park, though. I think the entrance to the chateau is about a block from the metro stop. I thought it was worth it, but it might depend on the alternatives -- and check to make sure what is open out there, as they were doing renovations for a while.
Old Feb 13th, 2006, 12:48 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the info. I still may not get around to it, but if I find myself with a few hours I'd like to see it. The pictures I stumbled across on the web made it look quite nice. I just didn't want to bother if it were going to require a whole day to make it worth while. I essentially just want to see it. I have an interest in architecture and like to photograph buildings like that. I'm not oppossed to going inside but I tend to have less of an interest in the inside, furnishings, etc than I do in the exterior/gardens. I've found some chateaus and places like that are set up so you can walk around them and only have to pay if you want to go inside, while others you have to pay at a gate in order to even get up close. I was just wondering which this one was.

It's very helpful to know that it's a short walk from the metro stop and that it shouldn't take much more than half an hour or so to get there. Thanks
Old Feb 13th, 2006, 01:07 PM

It's right outside of the metro stop. I enjoyed seeing it. It's in kind of an interesting neighborhood.
Old Feb 13th, 2006, 02:01 PM

I too love gardens. But, I'll be in Paris the 1st half of March. My guess is the Parc Floreal may have a few crocuses and nothing else. When were you there to see the irises?
Old Feb 13th, 2006, 03:28 PM

I don't recall that there were any furnishings. A lot of chateaux don't really have much furniture. I guess we are envisioning different things, as there isn't much to see on the outside except sort of like a big wall, as I recall. The complex is enclosed. YOu wouldn't be able to see the chapel or donjon, for example. there aren't really any gardens to see right at the chateau, although there are those in the surrounding area, as others mention.
Old Feb 13th, 2006, 08:38 PM

<< I have an interest in architecture and like to photograph buildings like that. >>

We visited the Castle of Vincennes in March 2005. It is a close walk from the metro stop. We had planned to go on a guided tour, but after the tour office opened (it's in the gift shop), we and others were disappointed to learn that they did not offer tours in English.

If your goal is to take some architectural photos without going on a tour, you could probably do so in less than half a day including travel.

Woody
Old Feb 13th, 2006, 09:16 PM
tod

Julies - we saw the irises in Parc Floreal during June. Another mention is the incredible Peonies the size of dinner plates!
I am pretty sure the gardeners in charge are planting a variety of flowers so that it always looks pretty.
Wouldn't be surprised if you don't come across masses of daffodils, snowdrops, & crocuses. Maybe even irises?
Hope you go and visit so that you can report back what you found.